Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Ford Galaxie 4 Door

lizardlust

Just in time for Father's Day - a replica of my dad's 1965 Ford Galaxie 4 door, AKA "Charlie Brown". This was based on the Modelhaus' 65 Ford Custom 4 door sedan resin piece and the AMT/Ertl 1965 Ford coupe - not perfect, but I'm satisfied with the results:

DSC00007_zpsf3jc3wix.jpg

DSC00010_zpsxlw2fzpe.jpg

DSC00006.thumb.JPG.4a66209115a7a9ffbfcf7

DSC00015_zpsacrdhvvi.jpg

Edited by lizardlust
photo

DSC00017.thumb.JPG.4e1d48a614edddc58988bDSC00011.thumb.JPG.ecd49191dc647617987f2DSC00008.thumb.JPG.e3e19241468448e437ca7Paint is Model Master Phoenician Yellow with Duplicolor clear wetsanded and polished out. Bumpers had the "1965" removed and then replated by Chrome-Tech. Interior iscarpeted with embossing powder and has window handles from Replicas And Miniatures and Scale Sports upholstery decals. Body had the sedan window frames removed and rocker panel and rear quarter panel trim added from the coupe donor body. Special thanks to Tulio Lazzaroni"Lovefordgalaxie" for the information on how to paint the hubcaps and Marcos Cruz for his guidance on scratchbuilding the antenna(21 gauge hypodermic tubing and .0015 stainless steel wire).

DSC00014.JPG

Edited by lizardlust
text correction

I'm honored for being of help!! I only wish the body caster had done a better job.

Let me explain: The resin body maker created a car that never existed. There was no Ford Custom four door hardtop in 1965. The only four door hardtop was the Galaxie LTD. And on the LTD, the roof was very different, with round shapes around a smaller rear window. A for door hardtop also has to have a air outlet for the silent-flo ventilation system on the body panel between the trunk lid and roof chrome trim.

For 1966, Ford separated the Galaxie and LTD names, creating separate models, so the LTD was no longer called a Galaxie on brochures and sales literature. Also, for 1966 you could get a Galaxie 500 for door hardtop, as the body was no longer a LTD only feature.

It looks like the resin body maker was shooting for a Galaxie 500 series, 4 door sedan, and forgot the central pillar. And even tough, they got the roof wrong, with a too vertical rear door window contour. 

You did a great job with a poorly done body to work with. 

I think that to get a more accurate model without having to redo the roof, you could just make the central column, and the side window frames. This way the car will be a Galaxie 500 for door sedan. 

I'm honored for being of help!! I only wish the body caster had done a better job.

Let me explain: The resin body maker created a car that never existed. There was no Ford Custom four door hardtop in 1965. The only four door hardtop was the Galaxie LTD. And on the LTD, the roof was very different, with round shapes around a smaller rear window. A for door hardtop also has to have a air outlet for the silent-flo ventilation system on the body panel between the trunk lid and roof chrome trim.

For 1966, Ford separated the Galaxie and LTD names, creating separate models, so the LTD was no longer called a Galaxie on brochures and sales literature. Also, for 1966 you could get a Galaxie 500 for door hardtop, as the body was no longer a LTD only feature.

It looks like the resin body maker was shooting for a Galaxie 500 series, 4 door sedan, and forgot the central pillar. And even tough, they got the roof wrong, with a too vertical rear door window contour. 

You did a great job with a poorly done body to work with. 

I think that to get a more accurate model without having to redo the roof, you could just make the central column, and the side window frames. This way the car will be a Galaxie 500 for door sedan. 

The resin body was cast as a 4-door sedan. Everything you said about the differences between it and the actual 4-door hardtop version of the car is true, but for what was used, this is an excellent result. In the 1965 Ford Brochure, the picture of the Galaxie 500 4-Door Hardtop's roof has the exact same profile as the resin model, and not true to the actual 4-door hardtop. I figure that the people at the company that produced the brochure photographed a 4-door sedan originally, and Ford wanted a 4-door Hardtop in the picture instead. Looks to me that there was an airbrush adjustment made to the photograph, and that is the way the brochure was done.

I have an idea on what I have to do to make a somewhat correct '65 Ford 4-Door Hardtop. I would love to pull off a '65 LTD 4-Door in Dark Blue Metallic, with a vinyl roof, and coordinating interior. I would also love to do a '65 Mercury Park Lane 4-door hardtop. I have a kit, and a tired promo to work with.

In the one to one world, these cars were rare when they were new, and even more so now. Finding a good photograph of the car is very hard to find, I looked at one every day for about 5-years, about the time my Grandmother owned hers, so I think that I could pull one off.

I still love the model that was built by Lizardlust!!!!!  Absolutely fantastic!!!!

The resin body was cast as a 4-door sedan. Everything you said about the differences between it and the actual 4-door hardtop version of the car is true, but for what was used, this is an excellent result. In the 1965 Ford Brochure, the picture of the Galaxie 500 4-Door Hardtop's roof has the exact same profile as the resin model, and not true to the actual 4-door hardtop. I figure that the people at the company that produced the brochure photographed a 4-door sedan originally, and Ford wanted a 4-door Hardtop in the picture instead. Looks to me that there was an airbrush adjustment made to the photograph, and that is the way the brochure was done.

I have an idea on what I have to do to make a somewhat correct '65 Ford 4-Door Hardtop. I would love to pull off a '65 LTD 4-Door in Dark Blue Metallic, with a vinyl roof, and coordinating interior. I would also love to do a '65 Mercury Park Lane 4-door hardtop. I have a kit, and a tired promo to work with.

In the one to one world, these cars were rare when they were new, and even more so now. Finding a good photograph of the car is very hard to find, I looked at one every day for about 5-years, about the time my Grandmother owned hers, so I think that I could pull one off.

I still love the model that was built by Lizardlust!!!!!  Absolutely fantastic!!!!

Yes, I know of that brochure. They DID airbrushed a four door sedan to look like a hardtop. On latter brochures a real 4 door hardtop Galaxie 500 LTD was pictured. 

The resin body is still inaccurate on many places for being a Custom. Not only on the rear door window design, it also has a Galaxie 500 LTD and XL trim on the lower part of the quarter panel. If you really wanted that trim piece it could be easily installed at the dealer, but didn't come from the factory on the car. Also the four point stylized star on the rear quarter was a LTD and XL only piece. 

When the kits manufacturers make mistakes we mention them. The same has to be done with resin cast parts.

I'm on the process of building a four door body from the AMT '66 body to represent my '74 Galaxie:

16731342856_c657abca6b_c.jpg1974 Ford Galaxie 500 by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Some brochure pictures of the '65:

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Lovefordgalaxie

It's a very nice model.  What a nice way to celebrate Father's day , I'm sure your father would appreciate your efforts. I know I would be pleased with the way the model came out. It's a good representation of the car. You should be proud of your work. Thanks for posting.