Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Fast Food

I live right outside Philly but I'm not a fan of their pork sandwiches, and especially dislike the broccolli rabe.  But give me a roast pork sandwich from a Portuguese deli in Linden or Newark New Jersey...   

As far as Philly cuisine, I love the Philly Pretzel Company and Cheese steaks.  Give me mine with peppers, onions, mushrooms and either American or Provolone cheese.  The true Philly version has Cheese Wiz on it.   You can also get a chicken cheese steak.  I have an Indian friend who doesn't eat beef but he'll kill for a chicken cheese steak with hot peppers on it!

To each his own. I know how much you like Crown Burger, but I've never had one. I favor their steak sandwich instead. It does look good though.47afb2b76ded4cb3f6dd244db9b78820.jpg

To each his own. I know how much you like Crown Burger, but I've never had one. I favor their steak sandwich instead. It does look good though.47afb2b76ded4cb3f6dd244db9b78820.jpg

Oh yea! Crown Burgers! The official sandwich of the GSL!   Every time we are in Salt Lake City we stop in for one.  It's a cheeseburger with good pastrami on it!  I'm amazed the bigger chains haven't stolen that idea already.   And yes, I've made them at home too.

Oh yea! Crown Burgers! The official sandwich of the GSL!   Every time we are in Salt Lake City we stop in for one.  It's a cheeseburger with good pastrami on it!  I'm amazed the bigger chains haven't stolen that idea already.   And yes, I've made them at home too.

Carl's Jr. had a pastrami-topped burger sometime back IIRC

Forgot a couple from my past - I have family down in Paducah, KY and my favorite food there (besides Grandma's chicken gumbo) is Starnes' Barbecue - pulled-pork heaven; we always put some in a cooler to bring home.

Back in SoCal I loved Fuddruckers too; the one at the east end of Pasadena had a great cruise night on Saturdays; I even met Paul LeMat there once and got a poster autographed - nice guy. Too bad they closed.

Over here, El Famous Burrito in Wheeling is my brothers and my go-to place for Mexican food; however I spotted a genuine vintage drive-in that had gyros over by Wheeling High School - looks like a time capsule; anyone been there?

They opened in Brandon just this April.  Drove the 100 miles for lunch and brought home 5 pounds of beef and some bread.  Yesterday got an invite for the new one in Tampa for September.   I guess they'll be opening in September or October.   I have to go to Lutz, FL next week for some medical tests and hope to run over to Brandon for a beef sandwich afterwards.  And we're getting an Ollie's in Ocala pretty soon.

Junior's Restaurant (literally down the block from me)

400px-Junior's_Restaurant_WTM3_Gnarly_01

in Downtown Brooklyn has been making pastrami swiss burgers since 1929. I love this place. They even have large stainless steel bowls full of garlic dill pickles at every booth. 

d8701a4a96e749e157e47afbcccf8be6.jpg 

Junior's also makes the world's best cheesecakes

13108567_1067034266703485_1534020599_n.j

although, Eileen's, at Cleveland Place in Lower Manhattan, is better, in my opinion. 

Circo's Pastry Shop

20733462240_b4f331d63e.jpg

is an old school Italian pastisseria. It opened in 1945 and is the last remaining Italian pastry shop in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn.  This place is better than any found in Little Italy.

QTi5theQjf237lf2NXCxyEeY-umZvzZtKpm2D4vt

Their cannolis are definitely the best, bar none.

Edited by SfanGoch

Joe....geez, I'd go nuts at a place like Juniors.  Do you think they'd serve me a sandwich like that If I asked them to chop it all up so I could even eat the thing?

Also, Circo's Pastry Shop, exact my taste of Italian specialties.  Just yesterday I went to my Italian shop and among other things, a dozen assorted pasticcini, just out of this world.

For cheesecake though, my German wife makes one that's good enough for me.  A dream.

Yummm, New York cheese cakes!  I don't know if it is something about the air or what but it is the best hands down.  I have three cheesecake cook books and still can't make it quite the same.  I can get close and make a great one, but any deli in New York is just that much better!

Oh and for you guys who don't like green on your sandwich, come on.  Nothing goes better on any sandwich and a nice ripe slice of avocado, but you really have to get in season avo's in Cali before it is quite right.  So Cal is to avo's what NY is to cheesecake. 

Best BBQ?  Phil's in San Diego! https://www.philsbbq.net/ Adam Richmond(Man v Food) rated his El Toro tri-tip sandwich one of the top ten sandwiches in America.  It was the west coast winner.  Good stuff!  Phil makes great ribs too!

However for baked good I got to go with Fenwicks in Baltimore.  http://www.fenwickbakery.com/   Anytime any of my wife's family come to visit, you don't get in the front door without an offering of Fenwick's stickybuns.  I remember driving from Baltimore to Ocean City and taking a box  with us.  I thought that they would be good in the morning with coffee.  Darned things barely made it to the outskirts of Ocean City!

Edited by Pete J.

Junior's will serve it any way you want it, Mike. You're paying for it. :) 

Circo's also has giant chocolate covered strawberries and cannoli doughnuts. I stop in there fairly often and pick up stuff for the house. I used to frequent Fortunato Brothers Cafe & Pasticceria in Williamsburg. It's not the same as when the local wiseguys hung out. It's too dammed hipster-friendly now.

I also love knishes. This is a real fast food. The best place for knishes is Yonah Schimmel Knish Bakery,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjbl8IaqeAq_uyZIgKiNB

on E. Houston Street in the Lower EasT Side, a couple blocks down from Katz's Delicatessen. They've been in business since 1890, and at the same location since 1910. In addition to what's listed on the menu page, they make specialty knishes like jalapeno, garlic and onion, potato and sauerkraut. The apple, cherry, blueberry and chocolate cheese knishes are out of this world.

I'm also a big smoked fish fan. Acme Smoked Fish, the largest producer of smoked fish and herring in the country, is located in my neighborhood. They have a "Fish Friday" sale, open to the public and everything is available at wholesale. Herrings with wine sauce.........yeah, buddy!

Pete, the secret to making a good New York cheesecake, or bagels and pizza dough, is the water. You can't use hard water. Guys from New York, who compete in pizza making contests around the country, actually bring their own supply of NYC tap water to make sure the dough tastes the same. :)  

Joe, the neighborhood is something I'll tell a German friend about.  He and his wife are flying to NYC end of the month, later a tour to visit their kids in Florida and out West.  Both are USA fans, love the theater and home foods.

About the fish, seems a lot like the famous fish market in Hamburg, known all over Europe.  Fantastic fish in all variations.  Just no king mackerel.  Cheap and lots of fun to visit.

I'll ask the wife what her secret ingredient could be for heavy cheesecake, her mother's recipe.  Will she tell?  Maybe, maybe not.

I love this kind of food, and the places where it's served.  Lots of old restaurants here as well.  Great atmosphere and the food is great.

Boy this is one mouth-watering thread going on here......

I love avocados... in a salad or to make guacamole... but I've never actually had any on a sandwich.

I love a good potato knish... cut in half with brown mustard... yummm.  My wife likes smoked whitefish or "kippered" and smoked salmon... me not so much... too strong a fishy flavor for me.

Yes, New York water is the secret for the best bagels, cheesecake and pizza dough.  The best canolis also come from NY.

Joe, I haven't been back to New York since 2007 for my niece's wedding.  However, my wife makes a yearly trip back there to visit a couple of her girlfriends on L.I. and her older sister who lives in Floral Park.  She always brings back several dozen bagels and good Kaiser rolls.  She slices them all in half and freezes them so we can enjoy them for a few months.

Another thing I really miss here is getting a good corned beef sandwich, and really good chopped liver.  I'm sure we could probably find a good Deli in the Squirrel Hill section of Pittsburgh, but we haven't been adventurous enough to go looking.

When we visit our daughter in Fairfax. VA, we get good deli food at a place called Chutzpah and I always get a half pound of chopped liver to go.  The funny thing is, my wife is Jewish and I'm Catholic...... and I love all the Jewish Deli food.