Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any chance the AMT Mach Won molds are still intact?

This has been a holy grail of mine since I built one as a kid in the '70s.  Even with the  advent of Ebay, I haven't been able to find one at a price I can justify paying.  Most of the time this kit goes for well over $140.00, which means I won't be getting one unless I win the lottery or something.  

It wasn't a custom Mustang or Ford styling exercise replica.  It was a stock wheelbase '70 Mustang funny car with a Logghe chassis and a blown big block (427?) Ford engine.   To the best of my knowledge it wasn't meant to depict any of the 1:1 funny cars of the time a la most of Revell's f/c kits, but it seemed to be a decent kit to build and display.

Edited by Monty

.......my cousin got the white/blue version as a gift in 1971. I was the model and drag freak, as he had no interest in the hobby,,,,so I built the kit OOB and really enjoyed it all. I'm not much on funny cars, however I'd grab one if reissued to go with our Ford race team hauler,,,,,think its one that Round2 should do if they can, as it has appeal to various builders in several ways....would be a winner ................the Ace....:D

Which one ?

My gut feeling is this kit is toast . Its hasn't been done in many years

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c5/08/05/c508059edd977196ef509c08fb206d77.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/27/1a/0e/271a0e200d181f772ee2e408410d6585.jpg

I've asked the kit historians on a number of boards, and they all say it's the same model, including decals, in both of those boxes.   The box art with the red car is shown with a custom racing front end cover, while I built mine using the kit's '70 Mach One grille etc.  

So, from what i read in an article written by Tim Boyd, the kit had a stock body in it and used a Logghe style chassis, and apparently, the chassis was shortened to fit under the Vega, Gremlin and Pinto bodies. 

Thus, unless they restore the chassis tooling, this kit is not likely to come back. 

So, from what i read in an article written by Tim Boyd, the kit had a stock body in it and used a Logghe style chassis, and apparently, the chassis was shortened to fit under the Vega, Gremlin and Pinto bodies. 

Thus, unless they restore the chassis tooling, this kit is not likely to come back. 

interesting but unfortunate info on that chassis, Jesse,,,,so I would agree, a comeback is unlikely .....the Ace....:(

interesting but unfortunate info on that chassis, Jesse,,,,so I would agree, a comeback is unlikely .....the Ace....:(

Would the chassis from the Funny Hugger or the Judge cars work with it? I know the Judge body is completely stock so 112" wheelbase, the Funny Hugger body has the front wheel openings moved a little forward so it's probably around 112" too. How about the '68 Cougar funny chassis?

Would the chassis from the Funny Hugger or the Judge cars work with it? I know the Judge body is completely stock so 112" wheelbase, the Funny Hugger body has the front wheel openings moved a little forward so it's probably around 112" too. How about the '68 Cougar funny chassis?

you know, Richard, that's a good question there.....I'm not a funny car guy, but one may think that something AMT from that era would do the trick. the only possible drawback to consider is that maybe the MACH WON f/c kit had provision for the SOHC engine setup, if different from most others.....I don't have any recent f/c kits here to check them out.....so we will have to depend on one of our esteemed members to fill us in here if they can do a comparison for us......still, a very good question, Richard...the Ace..^_^

I think the Advent kit was the Revell kit, which is pretty bad compared to the AMT kit. I do have the AMT kit at home and I will compare the chassis against the last issue of a Logghe car, the Cougar and Judge, and see if they are even close or the same. I also have the Pinto, Gremlin and Vega.

The Advent/Revell kit was the "Heavy Hugger" and has that horrible body and a not so good chassis. The AMT "Funny Hugger" doesn't have the correct chassis, it's more a later 70's style. Heres a pic from the box.

AMT-MK-21775-3.jpg

And the Judge funny is wrong too, its the original 60's generic MPC offering.

th?&id=OIP.M96c0d90af69b80f31b3c5a481fd7

The AMT "Funny Hugger" doesn't have the correct chassis, it's more a later 70's style. Heres a pic from the box.

AMT-MK-21775-3.jpg

I thought that was the case with the reissue but couldn't prove it at the moment. Thanks for the clarification!