Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Ferrari 360 spider

BVC500

I'm so happy to be done with this model, which if I remember correctly, I began in 2006/07, because it was a pain in the ass. And I haven't completed a model since 2012! I had every intention to build a replica of my friend's 360 spider that I drove in Miami (pictured with me in it), but had to make two concessions: 1) his has red stitching, not piping and 2) his has the optional 3 piece wheels. I found that red stitching would be hard to replicate, so I went with piping, and I couldn't get the 3 piece wheels, borrowed from the Revell Ferrari Superamerica, to fit right. On one side of the car, the wheels fit perfect, but on the other side, the wheels stuck out and I really had no room for various reasons to modify the wheel or the hub. Oh well. At least I was easily able to convert it to a 6-speed manual like his car. 

It was a pain in the ass to build because this was my first 2k clear paint job and I ruined the first body by stripping it too many times and snapped both delicate side skirts, so I had to get replacement parts from Tamiya. I also found that the design of the 360 leads to many areas being susceptible to rubbing through the paint, like the edges of the engine hood and bumpers and the character line on the side. In addition, there are tight areas, like between the roll hoops, that are just plain hard to polish. Finally, never will I paint a model black again unless its metallic, which would hide flaws somewhat.

Detail sets used: some parts from Acustion and the shifter from Sakatsu.
Tamiya TS-14 black with Zero 2K clear.

DSC_0419_zpsb9w6jlhq.JPG

DSC_0412_zpscxj7usud.JPG

IMG_3174_zpspqffdwzw.JPG

IMG_3183_zpslkp3tplk.JPG

IMG_3184_zps7o87jg1s.JPG

IMG_3187_zpshyqmjkc3.JPG

Edited by BVC500
Updated photos - got rid of horrible Photobucket links.

Beautiful!

How did you do the red piping on the seats?

It's Model Factory Hiro ignition wire, which I cut to length and carefully glued each piece on with a small drops of super glue. Its a little out of scale, but this size worked better than the smaller size MFH wire.