Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T, 10/17, So Close I Can Taste It!!

StevenGuthmiller

I think this might be F5 , the medium green

293336809us432380.jpg

I'm pretty sure you're right. It's in the ballpark with Pontiac Verdoro Green. That's what I was going for on my '69 Road Runner back in the day with the AMT Surf Green.

(Why AMT called that color Surf Green is beyond me. I've never seen a surf, or anything IN a surf, that color. A stagnant pond, maybe. They had a beautiful light bluish-green that should have been called the Surf Green. I forget what that one was called.)

The lightest of the greens is F3 , IMO is not the best of the bunch . In person its really looks washed out

http://www.herbsparts.com/lytebox/carsforsale/69DodgeCoronetRT/full/69DodgeCoronetRT-03.jpg

I guess tastes are different.

I like this the best of all of them.

I absolutely do not like the "Spring Green", & the F5 looks a little too much like an army truck.

Never really liked dark greens either.

Now I think I remember why I ordered the one I did. :)

Steve

Just a small update.

I started doing a little prep this morning, & I took Bill Geary's suggestion to heart.

I leveled off the rear quarter window sill & it made a very big difference.

Thank you Bill.

There's a good possibility I may not have noticed this before paint.

Steve

photo DSCN5316_zpshhxqpyn9.jpg

Before

photo DSCN5317_zps2s1wekz8.jpg

After

Oh my yes, that makes an ENORMOUS difference!

Why this is such a problem area for kitmakers I have no idea, but I can think of at least six or eight models right offhand that don't have this area right, and once you notice it, that's all you see.

Well done!

Now I'm trying to tackle what is probably the worst aspect of these MPC Coronet kits.

That horrible "cut out" in the hood!

The cut out area is so thin that there were actually places where there were pinholes all the way to the surface.

A really stupid design!

What I did was fill the recesses on the back side with super glue and plastic stock.

hopefully that will fill it in well enough to prevent any "ghosting" problems when it comes time to paint.

You can see how thin the plastic is by how the black plastic filler shows through in the second photo.

Steve

photo DSCN5318_zpsqy8j6vxi.jpg photo DSCN5319_zpsb8hxcdxr.jpg

I dunno Steve......if it were me I'd barrier the heck out of that using either Future, or BIN Zinsser sealer. I say this because I tried what you did there on a '55 Ford Victoria I was working, and filled in the hood with as much plastic as possible. I also did this to the roof which was heavily modified from a Lindberg '53 kit and after everything was said and done, it looked perfect.

Or so I thought..........

A few weeks down the road after the paint had fully cured and I could see where I did the bodywork, and it sits to this day. I'll redo the car someday, but it'll involve a complete teardown of the doors and hinges and windows, as I would strip the body clean and start over.

Just a caution as you know you've had trouble with hoods in the past! :o

Just a caution as you know you've had trouble with hoods in the past! :o

The trouble I've had recently with hoods was just basically dumb luck with the paint.

Nothing like this.

Normally I don't have a lot of trouble with these type of cut outs because of the multiple primer coats that I use.

The plastic is usually sealed up very well by the time I start shooting color.

But this one is so thin that I'll want to make sure to take any precautions I can.

Steve

Looking good, I wish I still had the couple I had.

Just curious, something that bothers me with the AMT/MPC 1970 Super Bee which I believe is based on this one originally. If you look at each side of the car in the door area, one side is rounded properly from the rocker panel up to the bottom of the side window. The other side is flattened in the middle of the door. I noticed this after applying a beautiful Plum Crazy paint, I thought I over sanded on one side causing this, but starting over with the latest release of the kit shows the same problem. Does that same problem exist with the 1969 body?

Also, I notice as in the 1970 Super Bee kit, the upper quarter panel body line is not suppose to carry though the door above the door handle. The picture below shows how it ends at the door. Easy to sand off and makes a huge difference.

%D0%B2%D1%81440.jpg

Edited by Mike Chernecki

Looking good, I wish I still had the couple I had.

Just curious, something that bothers me with the AMT/MPC 1970 Super Bee which I believe is based on this one originally. If you look at each side of the car in the door area, one side is rounded properly from the rocker panel up to the bottom of the side window. The other side is flattened in the middle of the door. I noticed this after applying a beautiful Plum Crazy paint, I thought I over sanded on one side causing this, but starting over with the latest release of the kit shows the same problem. Does that same problem exist with the 1969 body?

Also, I notice as in the 1970 Super Bee kit, the upper quarter panel body line is not suppose to carry though the door above the door handle. The picture below shows how it ends at the door. Easy to sand off and makes a huge difference.

I checked those door lines on the '69 & I'm not seeing any difference between the two sides.

Just to be sure I took a few quick measurements & everything seems to check out.

I see what you're talking about with the body line on the door though.

Thanks Mike, you just made more work for me! :D

Steve

Here is an image of my Super Bee to illustrate what I am talking about (red curves). The drivers side is curved, while the passenger side is flatter in the center.

Ok Mike, I see what you mean.

I looked at the '69 & there might be a little of that going on with the passenger side, but it's difficult to really tell.

I think the culprit may be that the passenger side of the vehicle is where the body was attached to a sprue at the bottom during the molding process.

You can see this by the big plastic blobs on the inside of the body along the rocker panel.

Chances are that this caused the body to flatten slightly on that side.

Mine has a sink mark in that area at the lower rear fender.

And, as we know, these anomalies usually only get accentuated over time as the mold gets older.

I'm sure that the '68 mold was modified to become the '69 & then the '70, so I'm sure this mold has been around a very long time.

Anyway, I'm not letting that bother me.

It's nearly imperceptible to me.

Steve

Have been looking for the decal RT rear stripe, any help tracking it down would be helpful. thanks 

Fred Cady has '69 Charger 500, R/T & Super Bee decals.

I'm debating as to whether I should use these, paint my own, (minus the "R/T" logo) or just leave them off altogether.

Steve

1969-DODGE-Charger-500-R-T-Super-Bee-FRED-CADY-1-24-1-25-DECALS-LAST-ONE                                  

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Well, I think all of the body mods & priming are done!

I took Bill Geary's advice & modified the rear window openings & Mike Chernecki's suggestion & removed the body line from the doors.

I think it helped greatly to improve the overall appearance of the body.

A couple of coats of primer and a couple of primer/sealer, and I think it's looking fairly presentable.

I'm really looking forward to color coats on this one!

I'm hoping that will begin tomorrow.

Steve

photo DSCN5326_zps8gu7ywcp.jpg photo DSCN5327_zps48da2jiu.jpg photo DSCN5328_zpshabl5xa7.jpg photo DSCN5329_zpsosoyar6y.jpg

Fred Cady has '69 Charger 500, R/T & Super Bee decals.

I'm debating as to whether I should use these, paint my own, (minus the "R/T" logo) or just leave them off altogether.

Steve

1969-DODGE-Charger-500-R-T-Super-Bee-FRED-CADY-1-24-1-25-DECALS-LAST-ONE                                  

Go outside the box. Use the RT emblems from the Revell 68-69 Charger and make it a stripe delete.

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1969-dodge-coronet-rt-n96-x9-410-dana-ramcharger-4.JPG

photo 69RT_2i.jpg