Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Mustang coupe

randyc

Wow, glad to be back.  Been looking and wanting to comment and post, but didn't want to start a new user name.  Finally saw a post I made back in 2013 and found my user name.  Been a crazy couple years.  This is my first real finished kit in at least 2 years.   Built for my gf in her color choices.  Have learned some new detail painting techniques (mainly to take my glasses off to be able to see really close in).  This is the AMT 66 coupe on the AMT 67 Mustang GT chassis and engine.  The wheels came from the AMT fairlane GT/GTA I think.  Or maybe the Mustang?  Can't remember.  Not the shiniest paint job, but the sheen is very convincing to my eye without being overdone.  done with spray cans, no clear coat. I am trying to make every piece and part look as real as possible.   This means all the basics of part cleaning and seam removal and ejector pin marks and so on.  

GF named her Sally - get it?  "Mustang Sally"  lol.  Thos preprinted tires are the best - they really improve the realism.   Comments welcome.  

Working on the 83 Hurst Olds next. 

Randy

IMG_20160704_114542494.jpg

IMG_20160704_115317234.jpg

IMG_20160704_114458084.jpg

IMG_20160704_114521876.jpg

IMG_20160704_114338374.jpg

It's not a perfect fit.  I cut the inner fenders from the 67, worked them into the 66 body carefully.  Had to grind the top of trans tunnel out to fit under the 66 interior bucket - i did it unceremoniously - but it's hidden pretty well.   Would have loved to use the 67 floor pan for hte 66, but door cards and such would require more work than I felt comfy with.  The wheel base and all works out just about perfectly.  I may have had to adjust hte rear ride height - can't remember.  But it works pretty well.  I may have some underside pics on my tablet at home, if I can remember to post them.  A lot of test fitting.  The mounting flanges on back of rear bumpers puts the 67 chassis right where I wanted it.  Front end fit in nicely with the fender wells and all. frame fits snugly into 66 body.  The rest is just a matter of working it all out.  

Randy

Yes.  Makes everything fit nicely. Better detail.  The 67 was an old build that had some ugliness  in the build quality.  So I had taken it apart and had it in a ziploc.  I just cut it up and used all I could . headlights too.  Much nicer than the molded chrome ones.  I cleaned up every piece I used from the 67 except the engine.