Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not to take away from your cool build but I also built something along those lines. I must say I like yours better.

What kind of Cobra is that?????           I like it.

Other than the body dimensions, what you built is where I originally intended to go with mine. When I dug out the Stingaree kit to steal the frame from, I went in a more radical direction.Mostly because of the extended wheelbase.

Edited by Psychographic

Is it the lighting, or does that look like MOPAR Plum Crazy?

Either way, I like it.

Yeah, not Plum Crazy (one of my favorite colors) but for years I've been looking for the right mixture of paint to create this "magenta" color either with an air-brush or plain ole spray can would do at this point...  love this color! Adding it to my favorites list. 

On another note... Dave, I don't mean to give you an idea and then steal it back but the theme of my next beetle bus project is gonna be the The little red fire engine... kinda goin with the look of the Baja beast with a chopped top and high metallic paint with gold leafing decals and real wooden ladders with a old school fire truck vibe... I've already made the chop and looking forward to the build! Thanks for the inspiration and I hope this one isn't the last one you do either...

Also I like the military themed VW Bus cobraman built. 

Yeah, not Plum Crazy (one of my favorite colors) but for years I've been looking for the right mixture of paint to create this "magenta" color either with an air-brush or plain ole spray can would do at this point...  love this color! Adding it to my favorites list. 

On another note... Dave, I don't mean to give you an idea and then steal it back but the theme of my next beetle bus project is gonna be the The little red fire engine... kinda goin with the look of the Baja beast with a chopped top and high metallic paint with gold leafing decals and real wooden ladders with a old school fire truck vibe... I've already made the chop and looking forward to the build! Thanks for the inspiration and I hope this one isn't the last one you do either...

Also I like the military themed VW Bus cobraman built. 

You want HOK UK-18 Candy Pink. I would get in touch with Bob's Paint, he's a good guy to deal with and a member here.

The Alcad is on. It's not my best job, but I haven't spray it in a couple of years.

I've been busy doing the body work and breaking the body. I was working on the beltine on the drivers side and forgot to put the floor or door on the passenger side and broke it in two spots ( The rocker has no strength without either one). It's mending as I type.

P9100793%20Medium_zpspyx7gfhy.jpg

Here's the wonky beltline on the right side before any work.

P9100787%20Medium_zpsqqgeezt5.jpg

I ran a length of tape on both sides of the line and applied some finishing putty, let it start to harden and peel the tape to get a fairly clean edge to work with.

P9100792%20Medium_zps963g6wuw.jpg

After a little sanding the line looks good the me.

P9100795%20Medium_zpswzirgq0b.jpg

I thought I had all the door jambs done, but looking at the body from head on something was not right. I think it's because the front edge on the body  on one side was rounded a bit where the other side has a sharp angle. I ran a piece of tape for the Styrene Bondo  to build on. I'm hoping this fixes the problem.

P9100794%20Medium_zpsjwvjr33f.jpg

Most of the body has been filled and blocked. I was hoping to get the base color on tonight, but I'll have to wait until the rocker repair dries.

Edited by Psychographic

The two cracks came back in the bottom rear corners of the door so it was time to address the weak rocker panels. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, I cut about 3/16" off of each side of the floorpan and cemented them to the body. Not only did this strengthen the body, it made we getting the floorpan to fit better much easier. It will also allow me to install the interior as an assembled piece.

After shimming the edges with strips of .010, I used two strips of .060 half round cemented with the middle of the .060 on the edge of the floorpan. The part that extends halfway covers the seam.

The two cracks came back in the bottom rear corners of the door so it was time to address the weak rocker panels. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, I cut about 3/16" off of each side of the floorpan and cemented them to the body. Not only did this strengthen the body, it made we getting the floorpan to fit better much easier. It will also allow me to install the interior as an assembled piece.

Sometimes these things happen for a reason. Nice save :D

I'm tired of fixing, I think it's time to make something stupid and cool looking for no reason other than "Look at me!" I cut off the ends of the bus's tank, drilled some .040 scraps to fit a 3/16 tube, glued them all together, then sanded to shape. Using the same .040 scrap I fabbed up a pair of suspended mounts.

For no good reason at all, I give you the suspended hollow gas tank.

Even with the reconfigured floorpan the weak spot is still the weakest part of the body and started to crack again. This time I wrapped it with some strips of .010 and am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have anymore problems.

After redoing the floor, I had to go over a few things that were done, but could now be made better. I think re-gapping this door was the last thing that needs major work.

P9110803%20Medium_zpspvixkmxb.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

As I've been laying on quite a few layers of primer, I noticed a spot that will need addressing before paint. I left the body open behind the frame as that's where the radiator is going.

I'm never going to be able to do a decent paintjob into this open space.

There's not much space back here to work with.

Will the frame fit? Yup.

I took the radiator and fan from the same Nascar kit I've been robbing from, sanded the fan shroud down, and made a hole in the new panel to fit it into.

It's like the frame was made to fit the fan opening.

I'm getting tired of bodywork. Hopefully I'm at my last sanding before I give it a coat of epoxy primer. I'll be using my local supply house's, house brand, that when a reducer is added acts as a sealer. I would hate to have the yellow plastic show up on a white basecoat, and I'm hoping this will do the trick.

Here's the colors I've picked for the paint. Pearl White, Pearl Yellow, Pearl Orange, Pearl Pink, and Black.

P9140813%20Medium_zpshmdyniaq.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

Stert a thread in the CB section and see if there is any interest. I would bet there are not going to be many takers as this is a peculiar kit and has a limited audience.

I'd be REALLY down for a CB on this!  I was really hoping that someone else might wanna do that too!

This build looks great, it's gonna look amazing in those colors!