Model Cars Magazine Forum

Completed BRBO - International Prostar

Okay, so I figured I'd do a post on my completed Prostar. Pics are are in the BRBO thread, but here are some more, and some thoughts.

First, I like this kit and I like the subject. So much so, that I have a second Prostar and trailer on the shelf waiting for another build. However, it's not perfect, so the next one is going to have some experimentation and modification done.

The biggest complaint, is one that I may have been warned of around here, as it seems familiar. On kit #2, I will need to modify the cab mounts to get it to sit level. As this one sits, the cab assembly has a bit of a forward rake to it. From certain angles, it's incredibly noticeable. And the OCD in me hates it!

The next complaint is how the tilt nose sits. Lining up the nose, to the cab, to the front bumper is a challenge. In some pics it looks fine, in others the gaps are huge. 

There are a few places where the kit instructions could be a little more clear. Front suspension comes to mind. I had to do some correction after gluing to make things work. Which is partially why the front wheels don't steer.

As for the trailer, it went together well, but upon opening the box, a number the tabs that hold the walls in place were broken. Made for interesting assembly. I checked my second kit, and it appears to be fine.

A few thoughts.

1. If a kit manufacturer is going to offer decals for things like dashboards and emblems, please don't mold them into the plastic as well.

2. was telling a friend about this kit and explained the decals. His wife is most likely nuts as she feels that "promoting the belief in aliens" is an afront to God. Wow. Just wow. What century are we in? I probably won't be speaking to her again.

3. Opening doors on trailers. Will be figuring that out on the next one. I need to open that back end up, as I have a killer idea.

4. Yes, I added side skirts. The kit doesn't have them, and almost every Prostar I see has them. So there they are.

5. Yes, there are some more details I could add. But for now, I'm calling this wrapped up.

:)

IMG_20160905_1734596_zpszwn62yji.jpg

IMG_20160905_1736118_zpsnxlaxkuj.jpg

IMG_20160905_1734244_zpsyfp66nuq.jpg

IMG_20160905_1732587_zpszyy7kzng.jpg

IMG_20160905_1740022_zpsnaivtbyd.jpg

IMG_20160905_1740514_zpsxhezsagf.jpg

IMG_20160905_1740569_zpszejzhsk3.jpg

IMG_20160905_1742545_zps69vaxyzv.jpg

IMG_20160905_1744138_zpsrbphjaaf.jpg

Maybe I'm not using the right term. On the 1:1, these all have an extra rubber piece between the painted sides and the road. Narrows that gap between body and road, I guess to improve aerodynamics. The kit didn't have them, so I added some styrene, and now it does.

Sorry Dan, I see the strip your talking about now. Could also be to keep down the water spray. Like you said, there are some issues with this kit that made me question whether to start on another one. I' m building a day cab at the moment. Again, good looking rig.

Sorry Dan, I see the strip your talking about now. Could also be to keep down the water spray. Like you said, there are some issues with this kit that made me question whether to start on another one. I' m building a day cab at the moment. Again, good looking rig.

I think it's a good kit, and other than the cab mounts not being level, and the hood alignment, I'm pretty happy with it. And I'm still planning on building the other one I have here. If this one was a real bear, I'd be selling/trading the other kit already!

:)

You did a good job on this one, Bud....I think you did a good thing with the side skirts.....To me, it just looks cooler with them.....I had to shave a little off the front cab supports to level mine out....I forgot about that when I was bringing up kit flaws in your build thread.....Sorry about that.....Worked well enough for all of mine......The front of the cab rubs on the tires a bit, but it still worked......Looks like you'll have to shave off the rears, though.....Anyway.....I don't think I've ever seen one of these I didn't like, and yours is no exception......Great job.....Truck AND trailer.....Another one of my favorite all time kits..... ;)

Edited by kilrathy10

Great build Dan, despite the issues.  I plan on picking one up, so I appreciate your comments about the kit.

As the "Alien" series are my favorite sci-fi movies, I noticed the W-Y logo right away and got a kick out of it.  Where'd you pick up those decals?

-Ken

Edited by NY Modeler

I made those myself. Used the Testors decal kit, has the paper and the bonder included. Pretty simple to do, not much different that the decals that come with kits. Make sure you have a good printer though, and lots of ink! My first print was when I discovered my colour cartridge was empty.

I was going to go with the Aperture Labs theme, from the Portal video games, as when I started this build, my son was crazy into those. But now he doens't really care, so I went with a theme I love. :)

Pretty sure I'll never use kit provided company logos ever again!