Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 model sets

CometMan

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I did once buy a three-pack of AMT/Ertl pickups. I think it was a '55 Chevy, '50 Chevy, and '53 Ford, but don't quote me on that. All three kits were complete, except for the Ford, which was missing the chrome sprue. Now, there were three complete chrome sprues in the box. One for each of the other two pickups, and one for a '64 Impala! I'm guessing it was just a simple mistake on the part of whoever boxed the kit, as I seem to recall there being another gift pack that included the '64 Imp around that same time. Since I have more than a couple of spare '53 Ford sprues, I didn't bother trying to get a new once (as if I could have for a then-ten-year-old kit with an unknown history). 

So, I do suppose the possibility of an honest mix-up like that could occur, but no, I've never seen one of these three packs where a kit had parts omitted on purpose. B)

Edited by Chuck Most

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I did once buy a three-pack of AMT/Ertl pickups. I think it was a '55 Chevy, '50 Chevy, and '53 Ford, but don't quote me on that. All three kits were complete, except for the Ford, which was missing the chrome sprue. Now, there were three complete chrome sprues in the box. One for each of the other two pickups, and one for a '64 Impala! I'm guessing it was just a simple mistake on the part of whoever boxed the kit, as I seem to recall there being another gift pack that included the '64 Imp around that same time. Since I have more than a couple of spare '53 Ford sprues, I didn't bother trying to get a new once (as if I could have for a then-ten-year-old kit with an unknown history). 

So, I do suppose the possibility of an honest mix-up like that could occur, but no, I've never seen one of these three packs where a kit had parts omitted on purpose. B)

I had the pickup trio and all was there. Those kits always had a good price when buying at Walmart...

Cool, thank you very much, guys! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It actually makes very good business sense to package several similar models together at a special price (basically buy 2, get 1 free, if I remember correctly when they were new) to move excess inventory, it is understandable that sometimes one of them was a lesser quality one. I sure wish someone would think of reviving that idea now!

The only triple kit That I know of that would be different is the AMT  'Diamond In The Rough' Kit.

It has the '53 Ford pickup ,a standard AMT Blueprinter trailer and a '40 Ford sedan,which as far as I know was never released by itself. (Why?) The sedan has dented fenders,bent bumpers and broken windows. I think it was only released once. I'm lucky enough to have one.

The best of these "multi" kits was a four car set that was all Corvette's, of which I bought one at $19.99, from KB toy liquidators, and three at $10.00 each when even they decided to liquidate what they had left. The only one in the set that didn't have a ton of extra parts was the '53 version, but even it was good for trading to a friend who was building a model of the "Waldorf Nomad" (Corvair concept car).

That '40.sedan has been released several times, but instead of the dented fenders and broken glass it has custom parts, extra engine and wheels and parts to make it a '39 sedan.

The Diamond In The Rough 40 Ford has all the custom parts too, and can be built as a '39. but I don't recall the derelict  version ever issued by itself. For that matter,had the DITR multi kit ever been reissued?

The Diamond In The Rough 40 Ford has all the custom parts too, and can be built as a '39. but I don't recall the derelict  version ever issued by itself. For that matter,had the DITR multi kit ever been reissued?

I never had the Diamond in the Rough '40 Ford. Did they do anything special to make it look beat up (dented fenders, broken glass, etc)? If they did make special parts for that kit in that release, it would be interesting to see it reissued that way.

I never had the Diamond in the Rough '40 Ford. Did they do anything special to make it look beat up (dented fenders, broken glass, etc)? If they did make special parts for that kit in that release, it would be interesting to see it reissued that way.

Yes,it had parts like that. It couldn't be built as a new or restored car though.

Seems strange they would make special molds and only use them once. Maybe they thought it wouldn't sell.

Was "Diamond in the Rough" before or after the Mack "Junkyard Dog" kit?  Wasn't there some licensing issue at that time?  While modelers love to build rusted out, bent up versions of cars to show off our skills, the companies aren't too keen on licensing scrappy looking versions of their cars.  I know Mack was pretty zipped, but I'm not sure about Ford.

IIRC, there was an Indy 500 triple set by mpc, containing of Parnelli Jones '63 winner (Willard battery special), Jim Clark's runner-up Lotus from the same race and the '74 McLaren of winner Johnny Rutherford.

I had this one set but sold it long ago because my interest changed to other subjects.

I have that set somewhere in my stash, the set I'd like reissued is the Indy Roadster and rear engined Lotus kit. I had the original issue when I was in high school and traded off the roadster, I've got a roadster that is a semi build up, but it's going to be a replica of a big block super modified we've raced against.

Do we have a list of these kits? The only one I own has the Hurst Olds, the '69 Barracuda, and '69 Torino in it. At one time I had one with the '38 Chevy Coupe, '40 Ford Sedan Delivery, and I believe a '34 (?) Ford Coupe.

Well, lessee. I have at least one Corvette set that has the old MPC '57, the AMT '63 roadster, and the MPC '75 roadster (I think). I forget whether it's labeled as AMT or MPC.

I have at least two Revell 3-kit sets. I forget what-all's in them, but I know between them they include the "street machine" '69 Shelby GT500, the Beretta Pro Street (or is it the J2000?), and the '68 Corvette roadster 2-in-1. I have it in my mind that for a while, that was the ONLY way you could get the small-block hood for the Revell '68-69 Vette, but I could be wrong about that. Now that you've piqued my interest, I'll have to dig into the Snakepit and see what I have exactly.

Do we have a list of these kits? The only one I own has the Hurst Olds, the '69 Barracuda, and '69 Torino in it. At one time I had one with the '38 Chevy Coupe, '40 Ford Sedan Delivery, and I believe a '34 (?) Ford Coupe.

I've got the hot rod set with the 40 delivery, 37 chevy convertible and 34 Ford. I got it used and the box was destroyed so Im not certain if the delivery and convert kits are complete with all of the usual parts, but the 34 Ford builds the street rod version only, no stock parts included. 

Image result for amt street rods kit

I have the Indy Hall Of Fame  Racers set too

as well as the Pace car set with 80 Trans Am (though called Turbo or Formula Firebird then)

69 Camaro & 86 Corvette.

I also have the Ford set with the 2 57's & 63 Sprotsroof Galaxie

and the SnapFast set that had the 66 Fairlane GT/GTA and Rannger Pickup

The Fairlane was ONLY offered in that 3 kit set!!!!

I believe most of the 3 kit sets had 1 kit that at the time was ONLY available in the set

Though was available separately before, or afterwards!!

Though NOT the 66 Fairlane

That was Only available separately as a Retro-Promo.

I have a Chevy Set that had the 63 & 64 Impala's but do not remember what the third kit was.

And I remember the Class of 69 set, but did not have that one

There was also a set with the 65 GTO, and 68 Road Runner, but again I do not recall the third kit in that set

I have a Revell 3 car set with 54, 55 & 57 Chevy's

And a Penski Race team set with the Matador, Trailer, and Most of the Van!!.

Sadly It was missing the body when I got it

I had set aside a "Sunchaser" issue of the Van kit for use with that set.

Also I built that set when NEW , but........

The trailer was taken, I need to finish the Matador, and the van.......

SHOULD be in that house Somewhere, but....................

I do remember it was missing parts, but have not seen it in Many years!!!

Another I wish I had gotten, the MPC set with the Clear Display trailer, Chevy C1500 Stepside, and 57 Vette.

I do have the Pickup & trailer, so........