Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do any resin casters offer the 1/25 Motor Wheel Spyder wheels offered in older releases of AMT's '70 Impala?

MPC's wheel isn't as accurate; the center is set deeper in the rim than the AMT version.  AMT Impala kits issued after the Barris Cruisin' USA version will not have this wheel.  Ertl switched them out for Cragar mags (with "Cragar" misspelled if I remember right). 

Jo-Han did a decent version of this wheel also.  They used it in only one kit, though: the Ed Schartman Maverick (not Comet) Pro Stock.  You're not likely to trip over one of those at a swap meet anytime soon, though.

One other source that I know of for a pair of Spyders (NOT a full set of four) would be certain versions of the old Monogram 1/24 scale (bad) 1969 Camaro.  These versions came with a pair of Spyders for the rear, and what I believe are supposed to be Motor Wheel Flys for the front.  I never had this version myself, so I can't speak regarding how decent these wheels actually are.

Being an old 1/24th Monogram kit, there may be a size difference as well, although some older Monogram kits seemed to have underscale wheels that do interchange with 1/25 kits.

Not to sidetrack the discussion too much, but this wheel combo (Motor Wheel Spyders in back, Motor Wheel Flys up front) was high dollar equipment on early '70s Pro Stockers.  For these applications, Motor Wheel custom built all-alloy Spyders (no steel rim like the street versions).

The Flys were also race-only magnesium wheels that were too fragile to run on the street.

Bogart Wheels patterned their Fly Star wheels after them, and they were also the inspiration for the Weld Pro Star design.  Whenever I see pics of these early Pro Stockers running Motor Wheel Flys, it's jarring to me because it looks like such a modern design, even though it's not...

s-l400.jpg

7004p.gif

The Monogram version of the Spyder actually looks pretty good, but of course is larger and fits only the Monogram tires.  Likewise the Fly on the front of the Camaro.  Getting off track here, MPC made a Fly front wheel also, but only put it into one kit, their Gapp & Roush '75 Pinto.  There was a Fly rear wheel also, but nobody ever tooled that one in scale.

MPC's wheel isn't as accurate; the center is set deeper in the rim than the AMT version.  AMT Impala kits issued after the Barris Cruisin' USA version will not have this wheel.  Ertl switched them out for Cragar mags (with "Cragar" misspelled if I remember right). 

Jo-Han did a decent version of this wheel also.  They used it in only one kit, though: the Ed Schartman Maverick (not Comet) Pro Stock.  You're not likely to trip over one of those at a swap meet anytime soon, though.

Ive got that car ,,,and I would loan  them to a reputable caster to copy if they want. But want them back asap. I wouldn't want them gone for more than a few weeks tops

FastEddie1.JPG

FastEddie2.JPG

I got a nice set of wheels very similar to these from an E Bay seller names Forward Resin. Narrow front, deep rears. Ive ordered a couple times from him and am happy with his products and service

See the post above from Casey? Forward Resin products are his castings.  He offers a number of great wheels, including some in bigger scales.  His prices are very reasonable and he's great to deal with.