Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferguson Tractor from Heller

I used to work for a landscaper in the '60's who has a Ford-Ferguson tractor that was powered by an old 4 cylinder Ford flathead engine.  I remember having to do a tune-up on it one time and the plugs, points & condenser, distributor cap and wires that the auto parts store supplied were for a 1941 Ford truck engine. It was surprising the power that little guy had.

I used to work for a landscaper in the '60's who has a Ford-Ferguson tractor that was powered by an old 4 cylinder Ford flathead engine.  I remember having to do a tune-up on it one time and the plugs, points & condenser, distributor cap and wires that the auto parts store supplied were for a 1941 Ford truck engine. It was surprising the power that little guy had.

The engine from the Ford 9N was a factory option in Ford trucks in '41. They're actually quite rare, as most buyers got the V8 instead due to the lack of performance of the 4 cylinder in a truck. Most of them went into Panel trucks.

• 4 weeks later...

A Ford/Ferguson would only be the 9N and 2N Fords, which were badged as such. The 8N did not have nay Ferguson badging, and the Ferguson tractors share no parts with the Ford.

This is mostly correct , although the 8N did not have any "Ferguson System' markings-it still had the Ferguson 3 point implement hitch system-THAT is and was Harry Fergusons only contribution to the Ford tractors . By 1947-48 when the 8N was coming out Henry Ford himself was either too old or died to be involved with production-Henry Ford II and Harry Ferguson  were in a patent battle as to who owned the 3 point system-The Ferguson 3 point system is the same basic idea being made today on most modern tractors . Google Harry Ferguson and read about the "Hand Shake Deal"

To my mind , trying to make a Ford out of the Ferguson is like trying to turn a IH Scout into a first gen Bronco=Close but no cigar !  Besides that-Ertl made a very nice 9N in diecast that looks like it could have been a Franklin or Danbury Mint . The one I have is either 1/24 or 1/25 and is very nice-No need to do any thing to it .

In the US, most certainly in farming "row crops", an exhaust running down and underneath the tractor would be a serious fire hazard, particularly at harvest time, due to all the dried crop vegetation below the tractor!   For that reason, almost universally, farm tractors, certainly back in the years of gasoline engines, had exhaust pipes that went straight up, well away from any otherwise combustible crop stubble, even uncut by ripened and dried out wheat and similar grain crops.  While the hinged, counterbalanced "flap covers" were available, not many farmers around here bothered with them, given that common used empty tin cans were a dime a dozen around any home by the 1930's and beyond--farmers kept a lot of those around their barns and implement sheds (they didn't often park tractors outdoors in the weather back then). so, shut the tractor down, grab a tin can, turn in upside down on the end of the exhaust stack--that kept rainwater, snow, even the morning dew out of the exhaust system.

Art

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I got mine today and contrary to anyone else on here, actually read the instructions.

The kit contains parts for two versions:

A. 1946 - 1956 Ferguson TE 20 - the TE stands for Tractor England. These were painted completely grey by the factory.

B. 1957 - 1958 Ferguson FF 30 - built by Hotchkiss in France for Massey-Harris-Ferguson France. These differed in several details from the TE 20
    and only the bonnet, mudguards and wheels were painted grey, the rest red.
    They were built from 100% French components, no parts were imported from England. Hence the differences.

Both versions can be built with the following options:

1. Either the low horizontal exhaust, or the vertical one, this option could also be specified on the real ones.

2. "Early" or "late" front tyres. Sadly the instructions don't say when the switch exactly was, but I assume the TE 20 would have the early ones,
    the FF30 the late ones.