Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flashback Review - AMT 1992 "Heritage Edition" Camaro Z-28

RDean58

A couple of weeks ago I managed to get this kit from Evil-Bay & thought I'd share the contents. When I got the kit it was still sealed :-) so I just had to smell that smog laced 1992 air that was in the box :-) The box cover models look really good, I give kudos to the person(s) who built them.
  AMT_92_Camaro-1-2.jpg  AMT_92_Camaro-1.jpg
One side showing the red "custom" version and 2 of the 3 engine options..
AMT_92_Camaro-1-3.jpg
The other side giving the specs of the car and kit. Cool huh? AMT_92_Camaro-1-4.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-5.jpg
The sheet is not too bad, two sets of stripes in red and black, the trunk lid "25th anniversary" decal, and some under hood markings. Not to shabby although I wish they had included a dash decal as well. AMT_92_Camaro-1-6.jpg
The stock wheels are molded closed, so I'm going to have to open up those slots by sanding down the back of them. AMT_92_Camaro-1-7.jpg
A pretty good set of Goodyear tires. AMT_92_Camaro-1-8.jpg
The only bad place on the body after a quick examination. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. AMT_92_Camaro-1-9.jpg
One of the better small blocks AMT/MPC made, lots of detail and separate parts :-) The funky "O Ring" equipped exhaust manifolds are for the turbo installation. AMT_92_Camaro-1-10.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-11.jpg
Yes, they were still putting on a single exhaust system on Camaros in 92! AMT_92_Camaro-1-12.jpg
Roll cage & car phone! Remember those? AMT_92_Camaro-1-13.jpg
A fairly decently detailed suspension system with pose-able front wheels, cool! AMT_92_Camaro-1-14.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-15.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-16.jpg
To do the nose right, I should cut out the driving lights and open those slots up. Not sure if I will or not though. AMT_92_Camaro-1-17.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-18.jpg
Some choice selections from the instructions. AMT_92_Camaro-1-19.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-20.jpg
The basic engine assembly, here you choose which intake to use. AMT_92_Camaro-1-21.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-22.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-23.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-24.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-25.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-26.jpg
We can't forget that radar detector now can we? Cool place for the car phone. AMT_92_Camaro-1-29.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-27.jpgAMT_92_Camaro-1-28.jpg
Thanks for joining me in this trip down memory lane :-)

I built one of these back in the day, airbrushed with home-mixed dark teal (I wanted to do it in Purple Haze, but couldn't mix the color to suit my eye). I don't remember any particular problems with it.

A few years ago I did the Snapper version (unassembled promo, basically); the major body difference is it has hard (not glass) tops molded in. I liked that one even better.

If anyone's interested, I can post pics of both tonight (I can't get to photobucket at work).

Pictures would be appreciated!  Thanks

I have the MPC 1982 version of this kit and I do believe it is an exact same copy of this one except for the wheels, decals, and the stock injection system. So you could basically get any of the 1982 to 1992 MPC/AMT kits that are out there and use these pics as a reference.

Pictures would be appreciated!  Thanks

I have the MPC 1982 version of this kit and I do believe it is an exact same copy of this one except for the wheels, decals, and the stock injection system. So you could basically get any of the 1982 to 1992 MPC/AMT kits that are out there and use these pics as a reference.

The '82 version wouldn't have had this spoiler, I don't think, nor maybe the lower body skirts.

For anyone who doesn't care about the glass roof, or need full engine detail, be advised that 3G Camaro promos are common and cheap. You can get many of them for the same price or often even less than a kit. Shop around and you can even get a color you like. Or the exact year you want. You might not be able to find any specific year in any exact color, but you can probably get one or the other and you might get lucky and get both.

As promised.

The teal is the full kit, the dark green is the SnapFast.

92Camaro04.jpg

92Camaro03.jpg

92Camaro01.jpg

92Camaro05.jpg

92Camaro09.jpg

92Camaro08.jpg

92Camaro07.jpg

Don't let that Harry guy see them,you'll know what he'll point out!both are nice builds I was lucky years ago to get 3 of the AAAM convertible transkits for this kit.

Besides lower cladding, taillights, and m.y.-appropriate wheels, the earlier MPC '28s also had BFGoodrich tires.  The rubber was updated to Gatorbacks when AMT appropriated the tooling in the late '80s.

Something that's always annoyed me about these early-'80s-sourced MPC kits is the incomplete look many of them had about the greenhouse, from omitted window seal and drip molding detail. Always thought AMT's own '83 Z-28 - never modified tor a later model year - was superior in that regard, and for being the only bi-scale 3rd-gen Camaro to nail the headlight bucket shape in the front fascia.

Actually. MPC and AMT did all the annual updates to the models that GM did to the real cars. Tail lights, seat and door panel patterns, wheels, various spoilers, etc. I just wish they made the later wheels look larger. 

BTW Chuck, Side window drip mouldings were an option on 3rd gen F-bodys. My '85 T/A has them but my '82 S/E didn't. 

I have an unopen '82 in my stash and still have the one I originally bought back then. Both the T/A and Z-28 kits had the solid roof the first year. The T/A had T-tops from then on, IIRC the Z changed at the same time.

I have an unbuilt '82 T/A I'm swapping the body with an '85 when I build a replica of my 1/1 T/A as mine's a hardtop 

112 1235

Edited by Can-Con

You and I were essentially saying the same thing about the yearly updates, Steve - but even if the drip moldings themselves were optional, MPC kits from the era were still too unfinished around the greenhouse for window seals and anything other than smooth, flat A-pillars.  This wasn't just true of their Gen 3 F-bodies (and a really obvious on the 1/16 Firebird, especially as compared to Revell's), but their C4 'Vettes, and their Fiero to a somewhat lesser extent.

Not that anybody should care so much about a droopy little EXP, but MPC's lack of greenhouse detail was really telling there:

MPC-818-2T.jpg

and seeing how comprehensively detailed these MPC kits were otherwise, skimming over such visible areas seems a little mystifying.

I agree Chuck, just wanted to clarify it for those not familiar with the kits. 

I also agree that the MPC kits had the poorest representation of the windshield area of the 3rd gen kits available. The glass really should be flush. with the thin black trim strip. 

CB radios were deader than disco by the time these kits were made. ;)

CBs and Disco! Both came on big time, about the same time. I remember having a pink polyester leisure suit at that time. ? Ugh! But, my girlfriend liked it. And being of the "right age" at the time I could not say no. ? I also wore "Earth Shoes" back then. They didn't go with the pink leisure suit, and they were not great for dancing disco in. But, I loved those shoes, and wouldn't mind having a pair now.