Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage AMT 1966 Mustang Convertible

Fast Floyd 2

Very nice interior!

If you're going for a factory stock look, you need to hit those orange plug wires with a black Sharpie (or better yet, replace them with black wire). Otherwise, looking good! Drive on!

Very nice interior!

If you're going for a factory stock look, you need to hit those orange plug wires with a black Sharpie (or better yet, replace them with black wire). Otherwise, looking good! Drive on!

Thanks Snake, Well I already had that Distributor wired, so It may be a little bit Hotrodded. LOL!!  I'm still on the fence about the Custom Mag wheels in the pictures or Styled Steel wheels. I have a box of red Lines, too. Maybe make the change to Styled steels and red line tires.

Edited by Fast Floyd 2

I'm going to once I get the body painted, and before final assembly. The Red lines I have are AMT parts pack tires. They are L60-15 for the rear, & F60-15's for the front. I might use the smaller F60's all the way around on the Mustang. I think the L60's might be to big for it. I don't know yet. I haven't opened them yet.

I had to see what it looks like with the Red Line Tires, & Styled Steel Wheels. The wheels are not detailed but it will give you an idea. These are the Big Little set with the F60's on the front, & L60's on the rear.
HPIM4641_zpssqnt79lt.jpg
HPIM4640_zps6ylygpgh.jpg
HPIM4639_zpscewtm8uk.jpg
HPIM4642_zpshdnuckkw.jpg
Let me know what you think. I kind of like the Custom Mag wheels better. LOL!!

I see you've sanded out the side cove trim. Nicely done! I know for a fact that's not an easy job. You almost have to make a special tool to do it. (I did, anyway.)

I think you'll have to sand the rocker trim off for a GT, too. But that's easily done. Drive on! B)

I see you've sanded out the side cove trim. Nicely done! I know for a fact that's not an easy job. You almost have to make a special tool to do it. (I did, anyway.)

I think you'll have to sand the rocker trim off for a GT, too. But that's easily done. Drive on! B)

Thank You, Snake. That "Special Tool" LOL!!! a #7 Carbide burr, & my Hand piece (Dremel), worked wonders!! LOL!! I also used a assortment of padded nail files, for sanding. Yes I know the Rocker trim has to go, for a GT. I'm about to get really serious with this build. as you can see I haven't put the first coat of primer on it, but I do have it decanted, & it's gassing out. I'm going to use Hot Rod Black as the final coat of primer. I will use my normal Dupli-Color dark gray for smoothing, and body work on. I picked up my Gloss Black the other day. It won't be long before the paint starts to fly!!! I also removed the "Running Horse" emblem off the front fenders, like a "GT" would be. for the "GT" emblem I will use the "GT" emblems from a AMT 66 Fairlane GT kit. As for the GT gas cap, I'm kind of at a loss, on what to do. Maybe on from the MPC 69 "Mach 1" kit that was actually not a Mach 1 but a GT, if you go by the gas cap.

Edited by Fast Floyd 2

As for the GT gas cap, I'm kind of at a loss, on what to do. Maybe on from the MPC 69 "Mach 1" kit that was actually not a Mach 1 but a GT, if you go by the gas cap.

I have a scrap original '66 GT body with its gas cap intact. I could try making you a foil copy of it, or if that doesn't work, sili-cloning it for you, if you're interested. Not sure when I could get around to doing it, though.

I have a scrap original '66 GT body with its gas cap intact. I could try making you a foil copy of it, or if that doesn't work, sili-cloning it for you, if you're interested. Not sure when I could get around to doing it, though.

Wow that would be really Cool!! I don't know if you noticed but in the vert someone started sanding the gas cap off, so I went ahead and finished taking it off. 
This is a earlier picture but you get the idea.

DSC08220_zps2chg5y76.jpg

Edited by Fast Floyd 2

My Original AMT 66 GT kit, is in rough shape, all the scripts have been sanded off, and one door cut open. 
015_zpsjwhm4gni.jpg
014_zpskag7gwxk.jpg

Edited by Fast Floyd 2

Floyd,

I have been following both of your builds. I have an original AMT 66 FB that I have been working on a little bit at a time for years, lol. The AMT rear valence panel has always bugged me. 66s had standard backup lamps, as well as the GT exhaust trumpets. Also, the bumper guards were deleted on GTs to make room for the trumpets. 

1966_Ford_Mustang_GT_Coupe_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

Floyd,

I have been following both of your builds. I have an original AMT 66 FB that I have been working on a little bit at a time for years, lol. The AMT rear valence panel has always bugged me. 66s had standard backup lamps, as well as the GT exhaust trumpets. Also, the bumper guards were deleted on GTs to make room for the trumpets. 

1966_Ford_Mustang_GT_Coupe_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

Sweet looking ride!! You're correct about the Bumper guards, & the back up lights. The Bumper guards would be right in the middle of the trumpets. And back-up lights were standard equipment of 66's, I believe, Optional in 65. I've owned several real 65 & 66 Mustangs, never a GT. I had a 66 coupe with Pony interior, "A"code 289 4v, 4spd. it had the Console, everything a GT would have, but was not a GT. It had a standard 66 Grill, & Rear Valance. I also owned a early 65 Fastback, "A" code 289 4v, 4 spd, Standard interior, with a Console, Non GT cars. The Only original GT, I've ever owned was a 67 Fastback "S" code 390, 4 spd.    

I have always gotten a kick out of the first gen Mustangs. I have a '66 hardtop in the queue that I am restoring. I built it back in the late 80's, complete with a Testors enamel paint job. I was going to strip it, but it polished out very nice, so I am going to leave it alone. I have to find a set of wheels for it, and a couple of odds and ends, and it can see the light of day. Looking at your builds Floyd are making the juices flow again.  Go get 'em Floyd!!!

I have always gotten a kick out of the first gen Mustangs. I have a '66 hardtop in the queue that I am restoring. I built it back in the late 80's, complete with a Testors enamel paint job. I was going to strip it, but it polished out very nice, so I am going to leave it alone. I have to find a set of wheels for it, and a couple of odds and ends, and it can see the light of day. Looking at your builds Floyd are making the juices flow again.  Go get 'em Floyd!!!

Very Cool Ron, Drag that bad Boy out, and Get busy!! LOL!! Thank you. It's been a busy couple of weeks for me. My wife was Diagnosed with breast cancer about 3 weeks ago, so I've not had any time for the Work bench. It's all been about Dr's appointments, and her treatment. I hope to get back after these Mustangs, very soon.

Very Cool Ron, Drag that bad Boy out, and Get busy!! LOL!! Thank you. It's been a busy couple of weeks for me. My wife was Diagnosed with breast cancer about 3 weeks ago, so I've not had any time for the Work bench. It's all been about Dr's appointments, and her treatment. I hope to get back after these Mustangs, very soon.

Thanks Floyd!!!

Take care of the Mrs, and I wish your family well!!!