Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Piranha Super Spy Car -minor update 1/7/17

talon63

SAM_0664.thumb.JPG.7ea84e17e0b3469770741   Picked a couple of these on clearance at HL for about third of retail. Was gonna put them on the shelf, but after doing a little research, and locating some useful information, decided to build one of them out as the second iteration of the car.

SAM_0668.thumb.JPG.4da7588c91d29d2c5b98a That meant first swapping most of the motor with the one from the AMT 1969 Corvair. This one will end up as the quad-carb version, not putting the turbos in it. 

SAM_0669.thumb.JPG.27fd4be2275513c531684 The bottom pan will be Silver. SAM_0670.thumb.JPG.95f9cbfd34d10dcb58651 The top a medium metallic blue.  Note the hole in back of where the passenger seat goes.  

SAM_0671.thumb.JPG.138b8530167dbcc2fefd3 Also chopped out in the same area in the floor pan/engine bay piece.. SAM_0673.thumb.JPG.6c3d74d330aa3bf07d58d  The passenger seat will be hinged along it's front edge, and a battery will be inside that space.

Here's the first rough out of the dash and steering wheel. SAM_0676.thumb.JPG.b56735cc546484c001cb9 Didn't realize just how rough the original surface was until it got some color on it. Will be addressing that to smooth it out somewhat, and finish detailing the steering wheel to better match the one in the second version of the car. Steering wheel is also from the 1969 Corvair kit. 

SAM_0677.thumb.JPG.b3073402d195dbdd1200a My goal with this is to rework the center console piece and the "control panel" cover to both be "functional" by making the center able to rotate to display the communications face and hinging the Control Panel cover.

Among other plans for this build:

1. Re-hinging the gull-wings.

2. Making the two panels above the taillights functional.

3. Relocating the parachute to behind the rear license plate space.

4. Making the cover for the weapons storage functional.  

5. Maybe attempt to duplicate the headlamps, and make the covers removable. (Need to check my stock on Bic pen caps, lol)

6. Pose-able steering, although that may be a reach.   

As always, thanks for looking, and happy building!

Edited by talon63
progress update

There was a photo-etch accessory kit on the market a couple of years ago with lots of neat parts including hinges for the doors. 

I've seen them. Will probably just make my own along with the two pieces that go under the rear bonnet for airflow. Already sketched out in styrene along with the build up for a rear view mirror that hangs below the laser.

I'll be following along to see this built as it should be. As a kid, I loved everything U.N.C.L.E., I watched the show religiously, and had all the paperbacks. You really should have titled this "The Spy Car Affair"!:D

I bought a body and engine for this kit from ebay, but mine is far from stock and barely resembles the stock kit. It's amazing how just adding wheelwells to it can change the look of it.

Well NOW you've got me thinking....:wacko:  (I assume you mean opening up the wheel openings?)

Yes, along with shortening the back, filling the tops of the doors, reshaping the trailing edges of the roof, reshaping the nose, removing the rear plate box, and filling the turbo exhaust outlets and sinking the top of that area to add some styling to it.

SAM_0678.thumb.JPG.dd8a4ec7bd5d054597a35 First up, hinging the rear flaps for the countermeasures.  Still a bit to do, but hope to have the mechanics sorted soon.

SAM_0680.thumb.JPG.ca2aac5acaa5f4c7c6dc9 Passenger seat hinge. plenty of space to drill and use more material than may have been required, 

SAM_0682.thumb.JPG.7f1eda5a253660bf13bf5 but shimming the front of the seat allows for the very front edge of the seat to be glued to the rod, as seen here. SAM_0685.thumb.JPG.334770799699ed3491bb4

SAM_0683.thumb.JPG.983d7d6c26c2a69ddd226 with the rod remaining out of site once everything is set. The slight forward movement of the seat to accommodate the hinge is virtually invisible.

SAM_0684.thumb.JPG.eee9107edc5970c9b5b03 another angle of the seat rotated up for access to the compartment behind the seat, where the battery will be installed.

SAM_0679.thumb.JPG.69277c0b6152a8946a99f Quick and dirty cast of a battery, and SAM_0687.thumb.JPG.24a3223cbb458f9667dc2 here, nearly ready for install. 

SAM_0700.thumb.JPG.48f194dadf836f81d3f61  Started work on the engine, getting the improved details added.

Created one of the operating bits on the dash, hinging the "glove box" cover.

SAM_0699.thumb.JPG.302d625bb8928de65af37 carefully drilled and inserted styrene rod, glued with a gel superglue. Still needs to be painted.

SAM_0698.thumb.JPG.14c6ed383bd80afa331f1 here it is open. Once it's painted, it will be invisible based on the dash placement in the car.

There is a slight bow to the hinge which allows it to move freely without binding, yet doesn't kick the cover out. Still need to give the woodwork a light sanding and a mild lightening wash, the wood still looks a little dark and a bit too shiny.

Next up will be weapons cover/bullet shield hinging.... this one is proving a bit trickier due to the location and somewhat close tolerances, and more work on the dash.

Edited by talon63

Added a small update to the previous one.

Also, I need to get a close up the gauges. I tried something new to give them some depth, which is hard to see in these pics. I did the face and numbers, let it dry, then put a large drop of Elmer's Clear in each gauge, enough to fill the cavity about half way. Let it dry, it may take a while, but it will dry very clear and shrink quite a bit. Then I add the needles, let dry and another drop of the Elmer's Clear, almost filling the cavity. Allow to dry and by the time it shrinks back down, it's basically right where the "glass" would be and the needle does appear to sit above the face of speedo or tach.

SAM_0698.thumb.JPG.14c6ed383bd80afa331f1

Edited by talon63

Starting work on the poseable front wheels. Using most of the kit parts, although I may yet swap out the coil-overs and scratch build a couple. 

SAM_0716.thumb.JPG.19eccdddd633ca5444ab4

First thing I did was carefully drill out the A-frames, cut the tiny nibs off of the spindles, and drill them for pin insertion. 

SAM_0715.thumb.JPG.0b4374a49e7d0ac91f6a0

Next up will be cutting off the actual spindles and making new ones, as the kit ones are too short, and don't allow for rolling (I know, but that's another topic elsewhere ; )), as well as increasing the length of the mounting points for the rack and pinion. 

SAM_0718.thumb.JPG.4442cb48f94ea32a03217SAM_0719.thumb.JPG.0c73b3e2aacfee230fd80

A couple of shots of the work in progress. Painting and such to be completed before final assembly. And finally a dry fit in the chassis during the work.

SAM_0717.thumb.JPG.8b0ac60d4933f72d50e47

SAM_0720.thumb.JPG.30bd6250dd67ff96016e4SAM_0721.thumb.JPG.78e47d067b1bb5ab4ea72

More updates on the way as time permits. 

As always, thanks for taking a look and your comments are always welcome.

Edited by talon63

Thanks, Curt. It's been fun figuring out how to make the mods on this one. Not a lot of room to play with, much like the 1:1. The door sill panels are printed on paper, lightly coated with Elmer's clear glue and allowed to dry. I applied them to the car with contact cement. The latch holes are just dots from a Sharpie right now, but I may drill them out. 

Front suspension is coming along, it is currently poseable, with rack and pinion in place. Need to scratch build the tie rod, as the kit one is insufficient. Will also need to add some pins to the spindles to mount the tie rod to.

I just realized that, outside of all the hinging mods and the engine assembly, I've only glued 4 pieces of this kit into their final position so far. :o

Thanks, Carl. I passed it up several times, but Hobby Lobby put them on clearance in December for around 10 bucks, so I picked up two of them. As soon as I started looking at reference pics and looked over the assembly instructions, I grabbed a pen and started doodling in mods and making notes. 

SAM_0726.thumb.JPG.b8c3dfd303f3bd6489203SAM_0727.thumb.JPG.dcdd7c936fb1e62cf60a4SAM_0728.thumb.JPG.c1a6faa449a51b16fc931SAM_0729.thumb.JPG.e31eec76221f62e5564e1

Still need to make a rear glass piece, since the kit doesn't come with one. [Edit: Research has confirmed that the original car did not have rear glass, it was open to the elements. Only the bullet guard/weapons area cover provided any coverage for the rear glass area.]

Back to the bench!

Edited by talon63
correction