Model Cars Magazine Forum

CANNONBALL 2017

Jantrix

Later this week I'll open the Finished Builds thread for you all to file good photos to when you're done. This will be used for contest voters to refer to when making their selection for winner. So a reminder for those who have finished already, you will still need to put your photos there to be counted.

Edited by Lunajammer

I've put up the Finished Builds thread in the CBP section for participants to post photos of their completed racers. It is, essentially, the starting line for the race. By my count, with one month to go, there are three qualifiers so far...

Dominik - with his Mercedes. You still need to file final pics that that thread. (He hasn't signed on since August, I'll PM him).

wrecker388 - with his Dodge 330

vwdave92 - with the Ferrari shown above.

Edited by Lunajammer

Cleared the Caprice today.  Decals will go on after a bit of a polish and then more clear.
Work is progression nicely on the interior and the chassis/floorpan is almost completed.

As far as comments made elsewhere regarding stopping every 20 minutes to gas up go, "Obviously" the entire trunk is (internally baffled) fuel tankage.  :D
Should be good for at least three quarters of an hour now...
However, as I said earlier, this year i'm not overthinking it and am just stuffing a huge engine into a big comfy car.  In previous years i've logiced it out and have scratchbuilt a chassis and independent suspension and fully plumbed 800 litre supplementary fuel systems and stuffed a NASCAR chassis under a small Japanese car.  This year however I couldn't be bothered with all that.
Next year?  Well I do have the MPC twin engined Crazy Van kit in the stash and a plan to re-engineer it so the rear suspension and transmission would actually work...

Was wondering what happened to your model Bruce - Interior is looking good! 

The Challenger is moving along, body painted and interior/engine compartment close - the engineering is a little tight on this kit, and there is a slight warp to the hood, chassis, and interior tub that didn’t show up much until you put the final steps in...hood fit great doing pre-assembly - 5 coats of paint and 5 coats of clear, and now it’s too tight. 

06CDA175-6514-4922-B86D-B4F17DAB8560.jpeg

C2B748E3-93B2-4C57-943C-AE88F453F96D.jpeg

Both looking good there Bruce & Erik.

Having decaled the Pro Lux I applied the second layer of clear today.  If I can get down to the shed tomorrow i'll wedge it all together and take some pics.  The graphics have really brightened it up...

As you can clearly see by my broken Photobucket links earlier in this thread, the government is trying to stop the public from knowing the potential of the Nitrous Turbolene generator. The Corvette chassis and engine are done so body work continues with a rhinoplasty on the nose to help better cool the engine, which is sure to get a hard workout.

FrontLeft_RoughedIn.jpg

A bulkhead has been added for driver protection from the dangers of the turbolene generator.

Bulkhead_RoughedIn.jpg

Also buttoning up the housing for very important scientific sh... er, stuff.

Rear_RoughedIn.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

I've put up the Finished Builds thread in the CBP section for participants to post photos of their completed racers. It is, essentially, the starting line for the race. By my count, with one month to go, there are three qualifiers so far...

Dominik - with his Mercedes. You still need to file final pics that that thread. (He hasn't signed on since August, I'll PM him).

wrecker388 - with his Dodge 330

vwdave92 - with the Ferrari shown above.

Sorry for late replay...I was in poor health and I'm back from the clinic ... I just did not feel well. But now i'm back, need some time to find my way.

before i'm gone, i made my second entry ready for road.

finished the body...chassis and engine.

?can't fit pictures?

Edited by Dominik

Sorry for late replay...I was in poor health and I'm back from the clinic ... I just did not feel well. But now i'm back, need some time to find my way.

before i'm gone, i made my second entry ready for road.

finished the body...chassis and engine.

?can't fit pictures?

Very sorry to hear of your health problems, I hope you're feeling better and are on a good path. 

Is there a way for you to reduce the size of your photos to maybe under 1mb? Also maybe try only 3 to 5 photos per post. Though the site has no limit to how many photos you can upload, there may be a size limit to how much data per post so maybe spread them out over a couple of posts if you have a lot of pictures.

Welcome to the 10th annual running of the Model Car Cannonball Run. This will also be called the Brock Yates Memorial Run as we lost Brock back in October 2016.

When we started this CBP in ’08, I’d no idea that we’d still be doing this 10 years later. I’ve been very proud to be part of such an excellent group of modelers. So without further eloquence, let’s get to it. First off, there is no theme this year. It’s what we call “unlimited”. Build whatever car that you’d like to try to run cross country in. It’s always been very popular with a lot of variety.

The rules:

1.       The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A rebuilder or parts box special is okay too. 1/24 or 1/25.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year. This is a one year only rule change to commemorate our tenth running. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run.

2.       Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used.

3.       The car must appear to be street legal. Headlights, tail lights, license plate etc.

4.       As always, have fun and watch out for two priests in a red Ferrari.

5.       Optional – As a memorial to the late Brock Yates, without whom there would be no Cannonball Run, add his name to the build in some way, a license plate, bumper sticker or something. Or add the original Cannonball logo. Or choose a car he drove in the Cannonball. Anything you can think of. Be creative.

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI.

You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

The car can be as eye catching or non-descript as you wish.

Build time begins on January 1st, 2017 and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2017. That’s 11 months folks.

After the finish someone will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”, a public vote.

A few weeks prior I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting up your work and we’ll work the poll from that thread. Take some GOOD PHOTOS!

You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP but only one can be entered in the public voting poll after Dec. 2.

You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

11:59 December 1st

Thanks Mike ;), i feel fine. i think, its a long way, but a couple of stones are away.

in "under glass" section, it works with the pictures from my first entry, the 300SLR.

perhaps, there are problems with my pictures on the server...the link won`t work, pictures are as same as always...but what else...

here is a preview from my SLR:

CIMG170422_073.jpg

The complete gallery - follow the Link http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/127371-mercedes-300-slr-cannonball-2017/

...and so, the pictures are working...things, i dont understand...

the last progress on my second entry - Chaser GT 4-DR japanese car with old iron V8 - ready to go on the road

engine ready to fit in...

CIMG170818_003.jpg

Chassis ready with muffler and wheels, fitted body

CIMG170818_037.jpg

widend the hood

CIMG170818_005.jpg

and done the rest of the work on the Chaser.

CIMG170818_052.jpgCIMG170818_050.jpg

Thats it:

CIMG170819_100.jpg