Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Step-side Pickup Restoration in progress

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Wow! It's been almost 3 years since I worked on this! I'm kinda disappointed in myself. I'm gonna try to bring this build back from the dead next round for the BOYD builds. Let's see if I can get it finished.

Good to see you back on this one Anthony. 

I finished my '68 and I'm thinking on starting a lime green/white '70 stepside next.

IMG 2305

Wow! It's been almost 3 years since I worked on this! I'm kinda disappointed in myself. I'm gonna try to bring this build back from the dead next round for the BOYD builds. Let's see if I can get it finished.

Think we all have such projects.  I'm glad you bumped this thread.  I've owned a '69 and currently a '68 pickup, have gathered a few kits and parts, really should pursue putting one together.  Doesn't look like it will ever be re-issued.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

I finished my '68

Wow! that is insperational! I had seen it in the Under glass section. It's hard to believe that was a rebuild. No doubt the Stepside will be Awesome too.

53 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Think we all have such projects

I know that's true. every modeler I've met has a stalled project or two...  This kit is on my wish list to be re-issued or a brand new tool from AMT or Revell of a 67-72 C10 would be nice too.

Here is pretty much where I stopped on it. I wasn't happy with the decals, I wanted them to be more pink like the box and they turned out kinda too red.

I was able to change the color to green, blue, and purple so I think pink is a possibility too... I'll have to get back to the printer and see if I can get those reprinted.

Screenshot_20191231-134429~2.png

35 minutes ago, Sam I Am said:

You can have these if you like

That would be great ?

If Round 2 ever gets the molds for this kit, I think it will sell. They'd probably get the short bed GMC or the 72 Cheyenne first though... 

I'd like to see the 88/89 Silverado get re-issued too. I won a model contest with one I built when it first came out. Always liked that kit. It hasn't been out for awhile that I know of. 30 years... It's due for a re-birth. Lol 

AMT-6069-2.jpg

12 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

That would be great ?

If Round 2 ever gets the molds for this kit, I think it will sell. They'd probably get the short bed GMC or the 72 Cheyenne first though... 

I'd like to see the 88/89 Silverado get re-issued too. I won a model contest with one I built when it first came out. Always liked that kit. It hasn't been out for awhile that I know of. 30 years... It's due for a re-birth. Lol 

AMT-6069-2.jpg

Unfortunately, the short bed GMC doesn't exist anymore.  Or the long stepside like you're working on either.

They used the GMC cab and Chevy chassis to make the '72 Chevy longbox. 

I'll never get my head around why they took the GMC cab, modified it into a '72 Chevy and put it together with the long stepside chassis along with a new box and engine to make the kit they did.

Killing the option of reissuing either the AMT short GMC or MPC long stepside Chevy.

They should have just put the new box in the MPC long stepside. 

You'd have the same kit but with a better grille and still have the GMC also.

57 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Killing the option of reissuing either the AMT short GMC or MPC long stepside Chevy.

That's terrible! I did not know that...But now that you mention it I see the clues. As popular as that style truck is you would think they would've saved those tools instead of modifying them. It's as if they didn't see the value for the future of the company. I don't get it either.

It never occurred to me that the grill and bumper are molded together on the modified GMC Cab. The Stepside Chevy cab would've been the better option.

I would think Mobious would get to work on a 69/70 Chevy but they seem to be on a Ford kick. How many versions of the 65/66 Ford do we need?  Apparently all of them Lol... I got a feeling that someone high up over there loves Fords. it's all good, I'm not complaining, I wished someone would see the value in the those old Chevy's though.

Ahhh, so this is where these decals came from. I got them in my stash but have always thought them to be from an older pickup kit. Cool project, I really want to see a long step side box for some of these kits and I would also have it with a 3/4 ton version. I'm not picky on what kit it is for as long as they make it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2017 at 8:07 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

I have one of those to rebuild. I have not ,made up my mind on where to go with this one, but  yours looks pretty good. I took one of the AMT '72's and shortened the fleetside bed to make a 6 1/2 foot bed truck. I have to repaint it, as the Testors' white enamel I used at the time did not go on as smooth on the center as it did on the roof.

I found a set of some great Spyder mags from the original AMT 70 Impala annual kit, and had a set cast in resin for another project.  I may use a set of them on my build, mounted on a set of AMT parts pack white lettered tires.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:46 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

I found a set of some great Spyder mags

I have a set of these that were cast also... More than a few AMT/MPC kits came with these wheels so when I first seen them my question was why cast them? when they're really not that rare. It's cool that someone did cast them and I picked them up because they're not plated and it hit me that I could paint them black or maybe body color for a future project.

I thought I would round up 4 Spiders from the back of the Monogram 69 Camaro. The 1/24th scale wheels on the Truck would give it more of an aggressive stance. 

Screenshot_20200116-083506.png

On 1/12/2017 at 11:52 AM, disconovaman said:

The Steering wheel is glued firmly to the dash but is not in the right position. I was able to get the black paint off it but the wheel will not budge... so I've decided to pay tribute to the original builder by leaving it where it is. I'll detail around it...

20170112_143210.jpg

You might consider simply cutting it off then pinning it back on with a small piece of wire drilled into the column.

On 1/14/2017 at 7:39 PM, disconovaman said:

1484436057893-8853863.jpg

I finally took the chance on drilling the column out once I got the brand new interior from a friend. I drilled it out from the back end and it actually turned out nice... I may used the new dash and interior tub just because it's unglued and fresh. The original tub was brush painted gray with red seats and I couldn't get the paint to budge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 11:06 AM, 89AKurt said:

just wanted to encourage you to get this past the finish line!

Trust me, all that progress you're making is really encourageing me to get mine done... However, at the moment I'm focusing my time on a memorial build for this guy who passed last year, a very devoted member within our model community.

So, I'm into that and I'm presenting the car at the end of February at the IPMS show... It's gotta be full detail with alot of scratch building... I had to sweep my bench to be able to finish it on time. It's been tough not to work on my other projects too... 

Trust me, all that progress you're making is really encourageing me to get mine done... However, at the moment I'm focusing my time on a memorial build for this guy who passed last year, a very devoted member within our model community.

So, I'm into that and I'm presenting the car at the end of February at the IPMS show... It's gotta be full detail with alot of scratch building... I had to sweep my bench to be able to finish it on time. It's been tough not to work on my other projects too... 

Thanks for telling me that.   Your priorities are in line for great Carma, proceed on angle's wings! ?

• 2 months later...

Well I got some decals printed and some other progress done, engine is built, unless I decide to go with an LS... interior is done... a small detail that is on the Boxart left to add.... If I decide too go full on box art.

I have have changed my mind on a few things like the plate chassis... Way too basic for this build... and the decals didn't come out as clear when I added the pink to them. When ever I get to the pearly gates I think I'm gonna ask St. Peter  "How many Kids actually used those decals when this kit got built?" Lol

I'd love to see Round 2 repop this kit with corrected rear fenders and those Awesome decals as an option. I would use them for sure!

Anyways, I hanging in there but I'm really close to switching Lanes on the build...

Screenshot_20200331-184119~2.png

Screenshot_20200331-183909~2.png

Edited by disconovaman