Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 Chopped Coupe - Street Rod

gasser59

Thanks for your comments Kit and Scott and for following along. I'm on the home stretch after a bunch of different bench sessions this weekend. The dash was made from printing plate and added a Model Car Garage PE gauge cluster that came with  clear gauge faces which you're suppose to paint from the back so the black image comes through. I ended up using red electrical tape which worked quite well. Its glued in but nothing else is at this point. The steering wheel center is also a Model Car Garage item and the round grip is actually an 'O' ring that I had to cut to make a smaller diameter. I used a small pin and Zap-a-Gap to put it back together. Fabricated a foot shaped go pedal but you can't see it in this photo. It attached to the printing plate trans hump.

I also had to make some type of muffler system since the category at DSC requires this. I fabricated some baffles from two different size punches from aluminum printing plate and glued them together. Once dry, I sanded them with a 1000 grit sanding stick. They are removable because I'm not sure I want them after the contest. I can always glue them in later if I want. These need a bit more detail on the ends.

I can't decide if I should add a battery behind the seats, still pondering that one. A few small details to finish up, some floor mats to make and then its glue it all together.  I want to weather the body a bit more but I'll do that once its all glued together. Desert Scale Classic is the 23rd of this month and it WILL be on the table.

Stay tuned, more to come.

Interior4.4.2.JPG

Baffle5.5.JPG

Edited by gasser59
  • Like 1

A bit more done and I'm glad to report the two floor boards are glued in now. If you recall, I was having serious issues with the interior having to be put in through the open roof and that included the floor boards. I originally fabricated them from sheet styrene and with many trials and errors along with a ton of putting them in and taking them out and adjusting the sizes. Once they were to size, I made them from aluminum printing plate. I also got the wind shield and the three back windows put in. Since you can see both sides of the windows, I made them to fit the openings so they look so much cleaner. Before gluing in the rear floor board, I made up the battery with cables and a printing plate tray and glued it in place. I also found another 'Lil' Diddy' decal and put it on the passenger side. I also added a tiny decal in the back window. Next up is to install the tranny hump and then the seats once seat belts are made. Then its time to put in the steering wheel which is already done.  I'm going to have this done in a few more bench sessions and definitely in time for DSC on April 23rd.

Here's couple pictures.

FloorBoards.JPG

Windows.JPG

Worked on the seat belts last night and this morning. Using PE inserts and made the clasping part out of printing plate. The fabric was taken from the wife's sewing kit. It was iron on patch material. I used the fabric side and not the shiny adhesive side. It's not glued in at this point but will be later tonight.

Belts1.JPG

Edited by gasser59

You need to do it Rob. Thanks for checking in.

Well, I think this one's done. Here's a few pictures and then I'll go and start a thread on the Under Glass section.

Many thanks to everyone for following along and commenting, this was a really fun build.

DrSide1.JPG

PassSide2.JPG

Interior2.JPG

Edited by gasser59
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well fellas, this one is done and in the display case. Now to figure out what's up next, I have so many to choose from. I have a couple of isolated diorama pieces I've been fiddling with so one of them will be next.

Thanks for all of your interest, comments and following along on this journey. It was greatly appreciated.