Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 Chopped Coupe - Street Rod

gasser59

Thanks guys. I appreciate you following along and commenting. I had an 'ah-ha' moment this morning while looking at this mock-up and decided to go with the early hemi from the Miss Deal kit. Much better detail and fits better than the Bantam Blast block.

Well....my 'ah-ha' moment turned into a 'uh-oh' moment. I'm back to the hemi from the Bantam Blast. The chassis was set up for this engine and I'd need to redo it including striping the paint and repainting it. I'm looking for a good dual carb tunnel ram or I may just make one.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to use the kit front dropped axle so I cleaned it up and drilled it out. I made a pair of matching steering knuckles from rectangular brass tubing, brass rod for the spindle and some RB Motion stainless steel tubing all soldered together. After cleaning it up a bit, I added an RB Motion rod end. These still need a bit of cleaning up and polishing.

As you can see in the last photo, I angled the ss steering rod so its away from the tire / wheel assembly. These knuckles are so strong and sturdy.

Tanks for your interest.

Danno - man I hope the floor's OK.  :-)

Bob - thanks for checking in on things. Works been slow since I've been finishing up my Willys.

Tim - thank you for following along and also for posting details on your cool altered build. Can't wait to see what's next.

Have not been paying much attention to this build because my Willys is so close to completion and I want to make sure I have something on the contest tables and not just the project table at DSC next month.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my package from WildHare.com which had my PE aircraft seats. Got the one all put together and soldered. The tip to my soldering iron broke so I held off putting the base on the second one. I was planning on making some of these from printing plate but thought I'd try these.

PilotSeat-vi.jpg

PilotSeats-vi.jpg

These will get painted a light Metallizer once they're put together. May need to remove the bottom rear legs because that will allow me to move the seats back further.

Edited by gasser59

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll post my other two options. The first one is a six carb set up. The intake doesn't fit the block very well. I could get it to work out with a little finessing  but I'm not too fond of this set up.

This second option hit me right after posting the scooped version in the above post. I'm liking this one the more I look at it and would work great for the street. I don't have many street rods in the display cabinet so I'd really like to keep this one roadworthy.

6carbs.jpg

W:NancyScoop.jpg

Edited by gasser59