Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 Chopped Coupe - Street Rod

gasser59

This is still sitting on my bench, begging me to get it finished. I had to change exhausts since the ones I was using had a huge sink hole right in the middle of the four pipes. No way to get in there and sand smoothly. I found a different set from the Ioconio Camaro that work perfectly. They've been shot with Alclad.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest fellas. I've had to order a new set of PE seats for this because the ones I had didn't like the purple pond so well. I'll try to narrow them a bit better this time because I screwed up on one of them by being too narrow in the front. Certainly enough to be noticeable. I have better cutting discs this time around.

On 4/12/2017 at 11:46 AM, Kit Karson said:

Just about the time you think that hot rodding has taken a pause... I'm delighted to come across this little ditty!  Not all parts are parts and you're working with all the right parts! -KK

I have to thank Kit for inspiration for the name of this build. I wanted a script style lettering for this like the old bombers. He called it this in his post and I love it.

LilDiddy.jpg

Edited by gasser59

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't at all happy with the first set of airplane seats since I painted them with spray can metalizer. The paint didn't polish up at all so I put them in the purple pond. Unfortunately the Purple Power reacted with the solder. I've since gotten a replacement set again from Wild Hare Models. These will need to be narrowed like the last set since the cab of the '25 is so small. I'll take some progress pictures as I take this on again. Here's a pic of how they look after being snipped from the brass sprue with one of them bent to shape.

Seats1.JPG

Edited by gasser59

A bit of bench time over the weekend and was able to get the PE seats narrowed, assembled and finished them off with some Alclad. I intended to take more pictures of the assembly but I was on a roll and completely forgot. Now onto the rest of the interior.

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

Edited by gasser59
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This has been staring at me for so long, I just have to get back to this soon. I can always feel eyes on me and I can't stand it. Got a machined alternator and some PE parts to go along with the alternator so back to work.  I'm sooo close.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, gasser59 said:

I have to thank Kit for inspiration for the name of this build. I wanted a script style lettering for this like the old bombers. He called it this in his post and I love it.

LilDiddy.jpg

Awesome, Brad!  We all have eyes on your "lil Diddy" and maybe one of RRR T's will help inspire you to race to the finish line!?.

#8 car 3 2.JPG

#8 car 2 1.JPG

#8 car 2 3.JPG

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:27 PM, gasser59 said:

A bit of bench time over the weekend and was able to get the PE seats narrowed, assembled and finished them off with some Alclad. I intended to take more pictures of the assembly but I was on a roll and completely forgot. Now onto the rest of the interior.

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

Maybe add a couple of cushions to the bottoms of the bomber seats, Bro! -KK

Edited by Kit Karson

On 8/24/2019 at 12:01 PM, Kit Karson said:

Awesome, Brad!  We all have eyes on your "lil Diddy" and maybe one of RRR T's will help inspire you to race to the finish line!?.

#8 car 3 2.JPG

#8 car 2 1.JPG

#8 car 2 3.JPG

I love the paint tech on this build. Is there a link to learn how you did it?

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, misterNNL said:

I love the paint tech on this build. Is there a link to learn how you did it?

Tom, there isn't a 'How To' on this particular paint job, but the same process is pictured in the build at link: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/kitkarsons1929v12fl/

Basically, lay down the undercoat color; let dry; add salt to the areas you want to show through from below your topcoat.  Apply the topcoat color over the undercoat and salt; allow to dry; and rinse off the salt in clear water. Weather powder is applied to areas where you desire different surface effects. Light surface sanding can also add to the destressed look, too.  Finish with a dull coat to lock the finish. -KK&-RRR

'29 Cab for the K&R Kustom+Rods Barn Find Parts Truck.jpg

• 7 months later...

I’ve been fiddling with the dash, firewall and a few other things and just can’t seem to make much headway. So I moved on to the water crossover tube. Got it finished today before work after making a second one, first one was too small. I took the idea from looking at a FB picture of Roger Lee’s MR Special’s engine. I’m happy with it, now onto the lower radiator hose connection. Not even sure where that is on an old hemi so more research is in order.  Work continues...

CrossOverTube1.jpg

CrossOverTube2.jpg

Thanks Dan. Hope the best for you right now.

Been fiddling some more with the '25 and have the headlights temporarily mocked up. Waiting on some anodized fittings from Detail Master to finish up the dual carbs. Here she sits on the bench awaiting my return from work.

MockUp6.jpg

• Like 1

Some concentrated bench time the last couple of days and i was able to get the alternator on along with the belt. Then I attached the blower belt and hooked up the lower radiator hose made from heat-shrink tubing. Then I attached the radiator and installed the upper radiator hose. That makes the front of the engine all buttoned up. Still waiting on some fittings to finish up the carbs.

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

• Like 1

I switched out the carbs for some resin ones and added the hard lines for the fuel. Still need to finish those up. I also added a Parts By Parks beehive oil filter. Also relocated the headlights to the side of the radiator shell. Slowly getting there.

IMG_3406.jpg

Edited by gasser59
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

It appears that my mojo has failed me so I pulled this back off the shelf and am motivated to finish it this time because I currently don't have any interest in doing anything else. I had drilled holes in the back body panel for some tail lights and decided I didn't like them so I patched the holes and am sourcing my stash for more suitable ones. I'm going to need to hit up my model aircraft buddies to see what they have for aircraft inspired lights.

Stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back at the bench a bit over the weekend. I need to get this done for DSC next month and I'm so close to the finish line. A couple of weeks ago I painted the body and floor panels a flat silver and yesterday I did a small amount of weathering to the inside and outside of the body.  The weathering took off the Lil' Diddy decal on the driver's side so I'll add another later, after I'm done handling the body so much. This morning, I added some black, real suede to the aircraft-style seats. Fabricating a dash is next. Here's a few pictures.

Weathering1.JPG

Weathering2.JPG

Upholstery.JPG

OverallSide.JPG

Edited by gasser59
  • Like 1