Model Cars Magazine Forum

583 Cu.In. Pontiac V12

landman

I was thinking about that. Most V12 are 60 degrees aren't they?

Yes, that's it exactly.

When you build a V6 or V12 on a 90 degree angle, the only way to get even firing pulses is to stagger the rod journals on the crankshaft (exactly what GM did with the "even-fire" 231 and 252 cu.in. 90 degree V6 engines), and though it's not the best solution for a high-revving, high power-output engine, it can work just fine.

The "odd-fire" 225 cu.in. version of the engine uses a very heavy flywheel with unique balance characteristics, and has a unique exhaust note.

The Chebby 200 / 229 / 262 90 degree V6, essentially a smallblock V8 with two cylinders missing, used an odd-fire crank, with special flywheel balancing and "softer" mounts, and eventually an internal balance shaft to deal with vibration and rocking.

Anyway, it's theoretically entirely possible to get a 90 degree V12 to work acceptably smoothly (a couple of different ways, actually) and nothing would show from the outside.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Beautiful engine. Mickey Thompson would be the person to do this in 1:1. I remember when he cut one of the 4 Cylinder engines in half for a 2 cylinder and latter even tried a single cylinder. You never wanted to tell Mickey he couldn't do something. The guy would just go out and prove you wrong. You really should build something appropriate for this engine.

Awesome V12, you should drop it in something

Beautiful engine. Mickey Thompson would be the person to do this in 1:1. I remember when he cut one of the 4 Cylinder engines in half for a 2 cylinder and latter even tried a single cylinder. You never wanted to tell Mickey he couldn't do something. The guy would just go out and prove you wrong. You really should build something appropriate for this engine.

I had bought this as a special car show vehicle that FTB could use to haul and display engines. Perhaps it would be a good place for that engine, it being a Pontiac and all...

That engine is remarkable!

I'm right into dioramas at the moment. Looks like you've constructed a very detailed and interesting scene, there.

Thank you. You can see the story and development of the dio here http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/97646-background-diorama-flatheads-to-boxers-engine-rebuilderspontiac-583-v12/