Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 ford mockup

STYRENE-SURFER

Inspired by Bill(Ace-Garageguy) here is an old stalled project that I just pulled out.

Was going to be a sort of Tom Daniel theme build, just could not figure out what to

do with the front end, just something missing there. Also every model Tom designed 

had a theme, What do I do with this, (Crazy Uncle Of "Son Of Ford"?) :wacko:

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

Thanx...

This started life as the AMT 40' coupe. Its been sectioned in two places, front and rear wheels moved forward and of course channeled.

The deck that wraps around in front of the trunk lid is actually pieced together from roof sections. The rear was widened just enough to match

up with the belt line.

I have tried just about every tire combination on hand. I think it would look better with skinny whitewalls in front an some kind of oversize

cheater slicks in back. Still hunting for the right look. 

IMHO the overall design theme is neat stuff and surely(I know...quit calling you Shirley)deserves to be continued.My first thought is that the overly wide wheels detract from the design.Maybe consider looking at the overall body profile directly from the side and consider building some wheel pods like the '29 Ford Art deco/streamliner/coach build seen on this same thread so that no tire shows at all like some Bonneville cars with covered wheels.I personally would try to mimic the rear deck profile at the rear and in front use the exposed/missing fender area as my starting point.Of course i'm also a little crazy but at least it's an idea.

I vote for the wide whites and possible painted steel wheels to match. Paint the roadster in a pale orange similar to what it is now. Wheels either in same color or a peachy/tan color, kind of skin toned.... make up a white up top for it. Laid back windshield frame. This has a look as it sits already but man o man it could be a sharp looker when done!!!!!!!! 

Or if ya really don't wann finish it ya can send it to me!!?? Lmbo

• 4 months later...

Kurt; I saw this back in March and I've been trying to find the pics again ever since!  This is TOO cool man!  I love it!  What an amazing concept!

Are you a member of the Show Rods board too?  Those guys would LOVE this!  You GOTTA finish it!