Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know which kit these wheels are from?

The Daisy mags from the AMT '63 Impala are all four the same depth. I can't tell for certain the depth of the Daisy mags in the original photo.

Two mags are flat on the back side. The two other mags have a long axle stub on the back in the old AMT style.

I tried mightily to take photos, but every one was too blurry to be of any help.

The rear wheels look deeper.  MPC put shallow/deep wheels in their Pontiac Firebird annual kits, probably '70-'72.  Their Dodge Challengers had them too, but I think those were all the same width.  None had the axle stubs though.

The slicks and tires pictured are probably plastic and not vinyl.  The front tires look like those included in several MPC late Sixties/early Seventies annual kits; the Pontiac GTO comes to mind.

Look around, I think they are available in resin from Replicas and Miniatures, Scenes Unlimited and possibly MAD. They can be chromed if they don't come that way from a resin caster. The Modelhaus had those in their line and were great!

The old Monogram 57 Chevy had some, not sure if they were deep like that though.

I think they may have come from the MPC Firebird Formula 400. I built the kit when it was new, it has the daisy mags, but I don't know if they are staggered. MPC used wheelbacks on all 4 corners as I remember it. I doubt 2 would have bosses and 2 would be plain. My built up is packed away so I cant get to it to check. Perhaps the ones you've show came from 2 different kits. 

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

images%203_zpsxoz8ruwx.jpg

They weren't in mine, and they're clearly not on the front (at least) wheels of the box art on that one. I seem to recall that the rears on mine were Torque-Thrust-"ish", and I replaced the fronts with Atlases from a Revell Yenko Camaro to more closely match them.

I just looked at a Monogram 1/24 '57 Chevy, and it seems to have them (or something very much like them), but it looks like all four are the same size (rears not deeper).

1/24th Monogram Badman '55

The original '55 Badman had a set on the back, but the offset was much deeper than those shown in the picture. I've heard Monogram made a minor change to the rear wheel molds some time ago, and I'm not sure what those front wheels are called.  

I think they may have come from the MPC Firebird Formula 400. I built the kit when it was new, it has the daisy mags, but I don't know if they are staggered. MPC used wheelbacks on all 4 corners as I remember it. I doubt 2 would have bosses and 2 would be plain. My built up is packed away so I cant get to it to check. Perhaps the ones you've show came from 2 different kits. 

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

99% certain the wheels (but not the tires) pictured are from this kit, or the '71-'72 Firebird kits.  The Firebirds have two different width wheels.  Concurrent MPC Dodge Challenger kits have these wheels also, but all four are the same, the narrower of the two.