Model Cars Magazine Forum

Matte Aluminum BMF

It's good when you need something that contrasts with the regular chrome, like the quarter panel inserts on a '57 Chevy.  I haven't had a problem with it getting shinier during application, but then again I only burnish it enough to get it into place.

Actually, when new, stainless steel trim appeared as highly polished,not dull nor "matte".  On the other hand, by 1957 or s, and continuing for a few years afterward, "anodized aluminum found its way on to cars as brightwork trim--and true anodized aluminum, while a bright silver in color, is never as shiny as either chromium plating or polished stainless stee.  The side spears on 1958-59 Chevrolets were anodized aluminum, as were the grilles, and headlight bezels (on all trim levels).

Art

I use matte aluminum exclusively. It does get shinier when burnishing, but IMO not worth worrying about. I think it looks better than the chrome sheets. Not the best view in this pic, but the chrome on the side spear is matte aluminum bmf.

wUPn22q3Sh747QEz759Ucqfru66MunGc72OI3WJY

Edited by Draggon

Window and body trim does not appear to be as shiny as the bumpers.

2.jpg

d7e6463931a7d83377ba4df7778da4f5.jpg

The stainless side spears and window garnish trim would have been nearly as shiny as the chrome bumpers when the car was new, though.   And, in some respects, the bumpers would  not have been as slick-shiny as they might be after restoration.  That was due to the deep stamping "draws".particulary at the ends of the bumpers, where the steel literally got stretched to the point of nearly tearing.  At the factory, those raw steel bumpers got at least a cursory "buffing" before plating, both those stretchmarks still showed through, at least slightly.

Art