Model Cars Magazine Forum

Picked up a  AMT 57 Hardtop "Flashback kit and discovered it had the exhaust molded in. Is there another 57 kit that has separate exhaust and maybe more detail.  From what I can see the Fireball Roberts kit maybe better. I want to build a 60's custom.

Thanks 

The revell 57's have very nice chassis but they have a different wheelbase than the amt kit. The frame and floor are separate on the Revell kit.

The Fireball 57 (revell too) is a race car only kit IIRC...the other revell 57s have stock parts.

How important is it too lose the molded in exhaust..the rest of the amt chassis is pretty nice if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Edited by mike 51

Would the Monogram Del Rio work? I realize that it's a wagon, but I believe it's a newer tooling, all the parts are very well done. Besides, when Tulio (Lovefordgalaxie) sees this thread he'll let us all know everything about every '57 Ford kit ever made!:D

There is no competition here, the AMT kit has the most accurate body, and represents the top of the line Fairlane 500 Club Victoria. Built both kits, and the AMT chassis only needs some love to look cool. 

Being addicted to the 1957 Ford cars I built multiples of both. The Revell frame can be used under the AMT body and interior. The wheelbase difference is almost zero in model form. On real 1:1 cars it was 2 inches. Fairlane Series was longer, 118 X 116 inches. 

AMT '57:

29275008005_5ee2f081bc_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Stock AMT chassis:

28652149954_16d617e330_c.jpg1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Victoria by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Revell '57 Ford:

34292643273_f018de8ecf_c.jpg1957 Ford Custom Tudor by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Stock Revell chassis:

34972071391_f42c18f791_c.jpg1957 Ford Custom Tudor by CCCP Digital Studio, on Flickr

Revell kit # 85-4283 is likely the one you need, builds stock or racing, great start for custom & many of the AMT custom parts can be adapted. If you want a radio in your build, use the AMT dashboard

Won't work, without  a TON of modifications, as Revell did the '57 Ford Custom Tudor sedan, which is significantly shorter, in both wheelbase and overall lengh, at least not without a bunch of modifying.

Art

Won't work, without  a TON of modifications, as Revell did the '57 Ford Custom Tudor sedan, which is significantly shorter, in both wheelbase and overall lengh, at least not without a bunch of modifying.

Art

floor pans are different a I mentioned earlier, but a lot of the custom parts can be made to work....

Swapping the chassis around under the Revell and AMT '57 Fords isn't rocket science.

This is the AMT '57 set up as a straight-axle gasser.

Related image

This is the same AMT chassis under a Revell wagon I set up as a straight-axle gasser LONG before the Revell wagon gasser kit came out.

Swapping the other way, Revell under AMT, isn't all that difficult either. Just measure and think.

Image result for ace-garageguy 57 gasser wagon

Swapping the chassis around under the Revell and AMT '57 Fords isn't rocket science.

This is the AMT '57 set up as a straight-axle gasser.

Related image

This is the same AMT chassis under a Revell wagon I set up as a straight-axle gasser LONG before the Revell wagon gasser kit came out.

Swapping the other way, Revell under AMT, isn't all that difficult either. Just measure and think.

Thanks, I figure it should be easier than trying to make the molded in exhaust disappear 

Don't forget the AMT '60 Starliner as a possible donor - a very nice chassis, and the Fords didn't change much thru those years. Most people would never blink at the differences/lack of differences.

Don't forget the AMT '60 Starliner as a possible donor - a very nice chassis, and the Fords didn't change much thru those years. Most people would never blink at the differences/lack of differences.

The Starliner WB is quite a bit longer and would need the overall length shortened. The Revell setup I picked up on ebay looks like it will work. So far it looks like I will need to shorten the back a smidge  and the modify the trans tunnel so the AMT interior tube will fit. There is probably more that it will need but I haven't started this build yet, just gathering the parts that I will need. Thanks