Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished a 5 ft. model today

Well here is what it looks like but a little closer than 5 ft. I can only use acrylics now and the primer was Rustolium to start. That mistake went into the purple stuff. Got most of it off. I reshot it with vallejo black surface primer and it is my first time using this primer. Not bad but not perfect.

Richard

DSC_0061.thumb.JPG.0418a52a7a191482d501f

Thanks all. Inexpensive acrylic paint is about all I use anymore. I have to thin it a lot to shoot it with the airbrush. Next one will be better. I didn't spend enough time with the primer sanding and it shows up close. Top coat is Future. I've had the bottle of Future for years and still have a half bottle left. I need to play with the vallejo primer and get it a little thinner for a smoother coat.

Richard

Something worth keeping in mind:  Before DuPont & GM introduced acrylic lacquer, all lacquers were "nitrocellulose"  which did not keep a shine very long at all, wearing away in the process, due as much to weather as any polishing.  This was especially true with early metallics--those dulled out very quickly, even when well waxed.

Your '41 Plymouth, as it stands in your pic, looks (to me) far more realistic than you might think--it's pretty danged nice!

Art

Something worth keeping in mind:  Before DuPont & GM introduced acrylic lacquer, all lacquers were "nitrocellulose"  which did not keep a shine very long at all, wearing away in the process, due as much to weather as any polishing.  This was especially true with early metallics--those dulled out very quickly, even when well waxed.

Your '41 Plymouth, as it stands in your pic, looks (to me) far more realistic than you might think--it's pretty danged nice!

Art

Art, as a former Earl Schieb painter , that is why we used Enamel. Even the "Diamond Lustre" paints were Enamels .... Oh, they weren't 39.95 . They began at 49.95

Let me explain. I finished a 1941 Plymouth today and if you stand back 5 ft. it looks pretty good. Any closer and you can start seeing how bad my painting is. I didn't sand much on the primer and it shows.  hahahahaha.

Richard

Still laughing, 5' Model yep have a few of them...Thanks for the laugh..