Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Pontiac Bonneville. 2/20, COMPLETE!!

If you havnt got the glass, the 65 Bonne & GP windshield should be a like for like replacement, it is on a 1:1 at least for the front anyway.

Si

Yeah Simon, I checked that out.

The only problem is that the '65 Bonneville, Grand Prix & 2+2 kits all of these funky notches cut out of the lower corners of the windshield for the hood hinges.

The '67 Bonneville kit does not & they will show on the finished kit.

I did do a test fit of the newer AMT '67 Impala windshield & it actually fits pretty well.

I may wind up going that route if the original glass can't be saved.

Steve

I was rooting through the basement last night to get my '67 Bonneville out to start work on it when I go on Vacation in a couple of weeks. I found the Bonneville, but I also found a Modelhaus Resin '67 Grand Prix Hardtop I bought several years ago. I am still gong to do the Bonneville, as it has been primered, and I have the paint to do it up. I know where I am going with this one.

MVC-003S

Here's my '67,  it's rebuildable although not awful as it sits.  Isn't the recent reissue of the 70 convertible a chassis donor?

Tom, is that a promo? If it were mine, I'd polish the red plastic and go from there.

So how many of us now have '67 Bonnies in the Build Stash--four or five? Are we in for a group build?

So how many of us now have '67 Bonnies in the Build Stash--four or five? Are we in for a group build?

I'm game!

I'd love to see what everyone else does.

We could all get ideas from one and other as we go along.

Can't find any fault in that.

If somebody wants to start a thread in the community builds section, I'll play!

We might even be able to create a mini "parts swap" thing while we're at it.

I believe that I have one extra bucket seat & possibly a tail light lens to start. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Here is my stash of late 60's full size Pontiac projects. two 67's, a 68, two 69's and a 70 HT. Had all but one of the 67's for 25+ years. May start on them some day.

I used to show a 67 ambulance and a 65 2+2, daily drove (summer) a 67 HT. I still have a red 69 428 convertible (owned for 28 years). Now my son is restoring a 65 GP.

It's a darksider thing :)

Carmak

101_0377.jpg

Tom, is that a promo? If it were mine, I'd polish the red plastic and go from there.

No, it's a kit.  I once was given a collection of about 100 built models and promos. The models were all built promo style and many of them had the hoods glued shut. 

'67 & '68 Pontiacs

Here's the two Pontiacs of this era that I have.  I also have a couple of the 1970 rerelease, and a resin hardtop body for that.

I will have to dig the '67 out and see if I want to mess with it.

I'm Prob a my gonna wish I handy asked this.

But was a convertible 67 to 69 kit made.

These cars have never done much for me. 

But I could be talked into it of its a droptop.

I'm pretty sure a '67 ragtop was made, but I never had any interest in it so can't say for 100% sure.

All three were offered in convertible versions Bill.

At least I'm assuming that the '69 "pickup" kit was a convertible like the re-popped '70.

Steve

MPC%201067-150%2067BonnevilleVG++.JPGMPC%201068-200%2068BonneVG++.JPG1069-200-1built1.JPG

A '67 Convertible is a rare bird, and very expensive. I have been trying to get one for several years, but I cannot afford the prices they have been getting. I have a '68 and '69 convertible, even though they were built ups, they are workable.

All three were offered in convertible versions Bill.

At least I'm assuming that the '69 "pickup" kit was a convertible like the re-popped '70.

Steve

MPC%201067-150%2067BonnevilleVG++.JPGMPC%201068-200%2068BonneVG++.JPG1069-200-1built1.JPG

great. Jus what I need. More to add to the want list.

Just when i think I've found all I need/want. More cool subjects grab my attention.

I was in the basement last night, as I am in the midst of a re-organization and clean up. I came across my '68 Bonneville Convertible, and a '68 Pontiac brochure. It has been repaired, and is in primer, much like the '67 Bonneville Hardtop, which I plan to work on first. I bought several Revell Parts Pack Pontiac engines, and I am going to use one on this build. I have a Turbo 400 that I can adapt to the engine, but I may craft a 4-speed console and pedals. I am also going to cobble together a 4 bbl intake manifold. I cannot see myself installing the tri-power on this one, but I have a manifold that may work. I will probably spring for some Fireball Quadrajets, as I have several projects they will work on.  I plan to dress the engine up as a 428 H.O., which was a factory option on the '67 Bonneville. The body has been cleaned up, and primered several years ago, and I have a set of 8-Lugs and red-Lines already done, even though I am considering either a set of full wheel covers with whitewalls, or a set if Rally II wheels on wide oval red lines. I am going to call it, a Bonneville with a little attitude.

Other than the engine, and under-hood details, I plan to stick primarily with the kit parts, even though, I have a tip to share with everyone else doing their builds. The Revell 1966 GTO kit has a beautiful decal of the factory accessory floor mats, which can be made to fit the interior of the car using thin sheet plastic, cut and painted the interior color.

Back in '67, my Dad had a '67 Olds 98 2 Door Hardtop, which was Silver, with a Black Vinyl Roof, and a Silver Cloth Interior, which I thought was a good looking car. That car is the influence for the build.

I dug out my '67 Bonny last night for a quick look. Bought it off eBay 6 or 8 or 10 years ago for something like $50 and was glad to get it. It's obviously someone's "project" they gave up on. It's been paint-stripped and could stand some additional cleanup, but it's complete and straight. Only area of concern is, all three Bonneville emblems are very faint and might not stand up to paint. I might consider sanding them off completely.

The thing came in a large ziplock baggie* that's quite full--haven't checked it all out yet. I do see all the major Bonny parts are there, and the front bumper/headlights is a resin repop (probably Modelhaus) but very clean and good looking. Looks like vac glass in the bag, too--again, no doubt Modelhaus. I saw there's also a complete chrome tree from an AMT '65 Bonneville or Grand Prix, and the custom grille from an AMT '63 Riviera, and who knows what all else in there. Now I'm curious to lay it all out and see what I've got.

So with all the "positive waves" (as Oddball would put it) flowing, I'm in the mood to build the thing. Looks like a couple others are interested, too. Steve, can we all post our '67 Bonnevilles in this thread, or would you prefer to keep this as your thread and the rest of us start another one? Your thread, your call. B)

*So I don't have the original box, but it DID come with original instruction sheet, which is cool.

Steve, can we all post our '67 Bonnevilles in this thread, or would you prefer to keep this as your thread and the rest of us start another one? Your thread, your call. B)

I'm good with that Snake!

Only problem is, some of the builds might kind of get lost in the shuffle if people don't realize that there's more than one project going on here.

But I think it would be fun! ^_^

I suppose I could change the name of the thread so that people realize that this is kind of a group effort.

I'm open to suggestions.

Steve

IIRC, there's a section for community builds, maybe we should start a new thread there. But for now,,

Here's where mine's at.

The rocker trim was toast from glue marks so I sanded it all off last night, might replace it and the wheel opening trim. 

Also, like Snake's , mine has been sanded and the scripts are quite light. I'll probably also sand them off so off will come the door handles and arrowhead on the trunk lid.

This is about how low it'll sit, more level though, or maybe on a slight rake. These are the wheels and tires I'm using.

IMG 2204

IMG 2205

IIRC, there's a section for community builds, maybe we should start a new thread there. But for now,,

Here's where mine's at.

That has been suggested, but for now I'm just excited to see that there are so many people interested in getting on board!

I'm surprised to see how many of us have these kits laying around & it will be terrific seeing several of them going onto peoples shelves.

Steve