Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Pontiac Bonneville. 2/20, COMPLETE!!

I have a 68 convertible which is so un-touched that I'm scared to build it. More relaxing to sit back and watch you build a 67, Steve.

Send it my way Peter!

I'm not shy.

I'll build it! :D

I have an MPC '66 Bonneville that is basically NIB that I will be doing in the not too distant future.

I have no problem with building a pristine kit.

Steve

Doesn't bother me Roger, but you might want to save it for a while.

I'll be building my '66 in the not too distant future & we could do another group build at that time.

Steve

DSCN6147

I agree. Let's keep this one all '67s. No '66s. No '68s. No '69s. I would allow Modelhaus '67 GPs, though, but that's it.

And yes let's do a group '66 build too, but separately. I have a glue-bomb MPC convert to restore, and a NIB Hasegawa to build.

IIRC, there's a section for community builds, maybe we should start a new thread there. But for now,,

Yeah, but there's not that much traffic down in the CB section. We'll get more eyeballs on our Bonnies right here. B)

I agree. Let's keep this one all '67s. No '66s. No '68s. No '69s. I would allow Modelhaus '67 GPs, though, but that's it.

And yes let's do a group '66 build too, but separately. I have a glue-bomb MPC convert to restore, and a NIB Hasegawa to build.

I'm good with that . 

This might help get things going.

This might help get things going.

IMG_0125.PNG

I've decided, since I can't confirm any '67 Bonnies in Verdoro Green (and since I don't have any on hand anyway), that mine will be Testor Teal over Walmart Black Primer, playing the role of Mariner Turquoise (AKA Chevy Tahoe Turquoise). Been wanting to paint something that color since the day I discovered it.

I have a simple suggestion. In this thread, we stick with '67 Bonnevilles and Grand Prix, and in another thread under the Community Build Section", We have a full size Pontiac Build Party, then those of us with any other "Big Poncho" kits can have at it. I just want to see these cars built, and maybe, I can whip another Pontiac out. I just went through the Basement, and I have several available candidates I would like to tear into.

I've decided, since I can't confirm any '67 Bonnies in Verdoro Green (and since I don't have any on hand anyway), that mine will be Testor Teal over Walmart Black Primer, playing the role of Mariner Turquoise (AKA Chevy Tahoe Turquoise). Been wanting to paint something that color since the day I discovered it.

I don't think that I have any of it left, but I built a '65 Chrysler 300 in a very similar color a while back.

Turned out to be a much nicer color than I thought.

Steve

DSCN3973

I have a simple suggestion. In this thread, we stick with '67 Bonnevilles and Grand Prix, and in another thread under the Community Build Section", We have a full size Pontiac Build Party, then those of us with any other "Big Poncho" kits can have at it. I just want to see these cars built, and maybe, I can whip another Pontiac out. I just went through the Basement, and I have several available candidates I would like to tear into.

I have no objection to that Ron.

I've got a bunch of Pontiacs I still need to do myself.

'60, '62, '64, '65, '66, and this '67 for Bonnevilles, & a '64 & '69 Grand Prix.

I'm up to my eyeballs in ponchos! :)

Steve

I agree too. I've got several '65s I need to get motivated to do.

I guess that this is as good a time as any for an update on the Guthmiller Bonneville.

Being as I'm waiting for a new airbrush before any paint can be laid on, I've just continued with some engine bay details.

I fashioned a fan shroud, added a few radiator brace details, installed the vent grate, extended the fender wells & did a little filling & sanding.

I'll drill a few holes here & there, do some priming & touch up & then I can move on to a little more body work before she's ready for paint.

Most of the scripts are good on my example, but I think the Bonneville script on the front valance may have to go.

Steve

DSCN6151DSCN6152

I guess that this is as good a time as any for an update on the Guthmiller Bonneville.

Being as I'm waiting for a new airbrush before any paint can be laid on, I've just continued with some engine bay details.

I fashioned a fan shroud, added a few radiator brace details, installed the vent grate, extended the fender wells & did a little filling & sanding.

I'll drill a few holes here & there, do some priming & touch up & then I can move on to a little more body work before she's ready for paint.

Most of the scripts are good on my example, but I think the Bonneville script on the front valance may have to go.

Steve

DSCN6151DSCN6152

That looks great!!!!

Took another look at mine last night. It's not in as good a shape as I thought.

Looks like someone has sanded off the rocker trim, and the lower rear quarter trim. Or started to. Or tried to, or something. Most all of the wheel opening trim is gone, too. Is there supposed to be an arrowhead on the nose? If so, I'm missing that, too.  One of the vent window pillars is broken at the top, but still all there, so that's a do-able fix. At least the A-pillars are complete and straight, and the roof's not caved in or something.

I have the original chassis, and (tri-power) engine, and what looks like a complete interior. So it looks like I can build a complete model car, though with the problem and the faint nameplates, I don't think a factory stock Bonneville is possible, at least not by me. I might just clean off all the trim and do it as a nice street cruiser.

The other stuff in the giant ziplock baggie turned out to be parts for the backbirth AMT '65 2+2 kit. In fact I think that whole kit is in there except for the body shell and interior bucket. The instructions in the bag are also for the '65 2+2, not the '67.

So I'd say at the price I paid for the thing, I got semi-hosed. Well, maybe not. I watched them for quite a while on eBay before I got this one, and was never able to come up with the stupid-crazy price they seemed to demand. So if I can be happy with a clean street cruiser, I guess I did okay, and I'm sure I can find some good use for all the extra '65 2+2 parts. Maybe the chrome will work for a '65 Bonnie promo I have that need restoring.

Took another look at mine last night. It's not in as good a shape as I thought.

Looks like someone has sanded off the rocker trim, and the lower rear quarter trim. Or started to. Or tried to, or something. Most all of the wheel opening trim is gone, too. Is there supposed to be an arrowhead on the nose? If so, I'm missing that, too.  One of the vent window pillars is broken at the top, but still all there, so that's a do-able fix. At least the A-pillars are complete and straight, and the roof's not caved in or something.

I have the original chassis, and (tri-power) engine, and what looks like a complete interior. So it looks like I can build a complete model car, though with the problem and the faint nameplates, I don't think a factory stock Bonneville is possible, at least not by me. I might just clean off all the trim and do it as a nice street cruiser.

The other stuff in the giant ziplock baggie turned out to be parts for the backbirth AMT '65 2+2 kit. In fact I think that whole kit is in there except for the body shell and interior bucket. The instructions in the bag are also for the '65 2+2, not the '67.

So I'd say at the price I paid for the thing, I got semi-hosed. Well, maybe not. I watched them for quite a while on eBay before I got this one, and was never able to come up with the stupid-crazy price they seemed to demand. So if I can be happy with a clean street cruiser, I guess I did okay, and I'm sure I can find some good use for all the extra '65 2+2 parts. Maybe the chrome will work for a '65 Bonnie promo I have that need restoring.

Why not a street machine? Put the Snake 45 flavor on it.

I have no objection to that Ron.

I've got a bunch of Pontiacs I still need to do myself.

'60, '62, '64, '65, '66, and this '67 for Bonnevilles, & a '64 & '69 Grand Prix.

I'm up to my eyeballs in ponchos! :)

Steve

That's a good thing Steve LOL. I'm a sucker for Ponchos.B):D

Why not a street machine? Put the Snake 45 flavor on it.

"Flavor"? Just like The Count! B):lol:

But I think you're right. Spent a little time googling '67 Pontiacs this afternoon, and discovered (I think) that the Ventura was the only model without the lower body chrome and junk, so I might go that way with it. I'll probably take the fender skirts off it, too. And give it a little bit of a rubber rake. Yah, a street cruiser with that timeless, ageless look--I think that's the way to go.

IMG 0154

This thread got me curious so I dug out my 67 and 68, and added this 69 convertible I fished from the 'bay maybe a year ago.   

IMG 0159

In this photo you can see the severed a pillar. I don't know if it was this way, or damaged in shipping.  It's an easy fix though. The hood is glued shutIMG 0158

Some kid's idea of vedero green,  a bad brush paint job that should come right off.

I took a good look at my '67 and I can confirm it's not a promo.  I acquired a collection that  had a lot of promos in it, and it appears the owner built kits in a promo style to match.  The red paint is fairly awful in person.  And the car has a tire imprint in the drivers door, of course right across the molding.  It also seems this builder used some industrial strength glue so they don't come apart easy and have sink marks where glue softened plastic, like where the glass runners meet the roof.  

Edited by Tom Geiger

Is there supposed to be an arrowhead on the nose? If so, I'm missing that, too.

The "arrow head" is on the front bumper.

I think that the issue with the rocker trim being messed up is pretty common with these kits.

Many of them wound up with the "custom" trim glued to the rocker area of the body thus destroying the molded in trim detail.

Mine is the same way, but fortunately, mine came with all of the chrome rocker trim pieces, so I had them re-plated & I'm going to use them.

Not exactly 100% stock but I think it should look pretty good.

Steve