Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Pontiac Bonneville. 2/20, COMPLETE!!

Me neither. Love the '66 sand '67s, and the '65s are kinda cool, but other full-size Pontiacs just don't do a thing for me.

I'm not nuts about the '69 & later big Pontiacs either.

I do still kind of like the '68 because while I agree that I don't really appreciate the front end, it still has the overall body contours that the '67 has.

I may have to keep my eyes peeled for one somewhere down the line, but I agree, I'll probably never spring the big bucks for a '69.

Steve

Last night, I was in the midst of cleaning up the basement, and I found my choice of models for the '67 Pontiac Full Size Build, A Modelhaus '67 Grand Prix 2 Door hardtop. Last week I was going through my brochures, and I found a '67 Grand Prix Brochure, so this worked out great. When I bought this kit, I originally bought a '66 Caprice hardtop from Don at one of the NNLs. I looked at the car, and did not care for the contours of the top, so I went back to Don and swapped the kit for a '67 Grand Prix. I got the car home, and removed the script from the rear fenders, as the font was incorrect. It has been in the box for several years.  As this is a curbside kit (no engine and sealed hood), it should not take a lot of time to get a decent build out of it.

The color chart in this thread is a great help.

Interesting!   I'm not a big fan of the 1967 design, but I do like the 1968 and 1969 grills.  I remember thinking the 1970 looked odd when it first came out. Still does!

Back then my uncle had invested money in a Pontiac dealership so he got a brand new one every year as part of that deal. I was living in the USA from 1968 until fall of 1969 when the 1970 models came out. So I do remember these three years well.

I like the '67 because the front end looks almost exactly like the back end of the '66, with headlights added. I always thought it looked like something Batman might drive if he were an insurance salesman or accountant instead of a superhero crimefighter. :lol:

I like the '67 because the front end looks almost exactly like the back end of the '66, with headlights added. I always thought it looked like something Batman might drive if he were an insurance salesman or accountant instead of a superhero crimefighter. :lol:

I like the '67 as well, mainly because it was such a unique design.

I can understand why someone might prefer the '68 over the '67 because while it has the same sleek body design, it has a more conventional & more "Pontiac-ish" front end treatment.

By '69, I felt the the body on the big Pontiacs were becoming too "bloated" looking.

Steve

I like the '67 as well, mainly because it was such a unique design.

I can understand why someone might prefer the '68 over the '67 because while it has the same sleek body design, it has a more conventional & more "Pontiac-ish" front end treatment.

By '69, I felt the the body on the big Pontiacs were becoming too "bloated" looking.

Steve

agreed.

I like the 67 the best. Mainly due to the uniqueness of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that this is as good a time as any for an update on the Guthmiller Bonneville.

Being as I'm waiting for a new airbrush before any paint can be laid on, I've just continued with some engine bay details.

I fashioned a fan shroud, added a few radiator brace details, installed the vent grate, extended the fender wells & did a little filling & sanding.

I'll drill a few holes here & there, do some priming & touch up & then I can move on to a little more body work before she's ready for paint.

Most of the scripts are good on my example, but I think the Bonneville script on the front valance may have to go.

Steve

DSCN6151DSCN6152

The engine bay enhancements look terrific, Steve!

:D Can't do it.

The '66 I'm planning down the road will be a dark blue-gray.

Can't have two consecutive year Bonnevilles that close in color. ^_^

Steve

Okay, I have a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too idea. Paint the top pearl white, and finish it off in the primer, with aftermarket wheels and tires and a badass rake. Put it on your shelf. Go on and build the '66, all the while enjoying the primer '67 on the shelf. When you get the blue-gray '66 finished, come back to this one and paint it in your original planned color. Win! Win! Win!

As Letterman used to say (before he went completely insane), "There is no OFF position on the Genius Switch." B):lol:

Got some color on today & I have to say, I am HUGELY impressed with the new air brush I have!!

Preliminary results tell me that I should recommend it highly!

It sprays a nice wide, even pattern.

Up until now, I had been running into issues with my paint looking streaky because of the narrow pattern of my old air brush.

This one is comfortable & smooth.

Although, I will say, I was more comfortable cleaning my old siphon feed.

I guess it will just take some getting used to.

I'll most likely continue to use my old Badger for smaller parts, interiors, etc, but it's going to be the Mr. Hobby for bodies from now on!

Anyway, I started with a couple of coats of Duplicolor "Bordeaux Red".

I find it beneficial to get a couple of light coats of a like colored Duplicolor paint under the MCW.

It gives me a nice base to start with & saves on the "good" MCW paint.

So far, just one coat of MCW "Plum Mist".

I'll let it cure a while, then foil the scripts & shoot it with another coat of Plum Mist.

Steve

DSCN6191DSCN6192DSCN6193

Looks good Steve.

I did a little work on mine yesterday too. There was too much sanding damage done to the scripts on mine so I sanded them all off along with the door handles. 

The wheel opening trim was damaged too so I ground it off and will replace it and the rocker trim before painting.

The character line down the sides was also somewhat smoothed out so I'm repairing that also.

I remember that color on '67 Chevies. I think it was called Royal Plum in Chevy World? It was fairly rare--I don't recall seeing too many of them though I do seem to recall at least a few Chevelles.

I've thought of doing a '67 Camaro in that color just for my ROY G. BIV Camaro collection. I believe it's the only chance to build a factory-stock purple Camaro until 1992's Purple Haze.