Model Cars Magazine Forum

REAR ENGINE DUSTER F/C - Beginnings - 8/27/17

Nytrozilla

What happens when you take an AMT Wedge T/F chassis, perform countless modifications, then top it with a Mongoose Duster body? Insanity personified.

The Duster body is the result of a Challenger no-go. The windshield was too far back, even with the rear wheel wells set back as far as they could go (for this chassis).

The Duster was a perfect fit. I have also started the tin work with the firewall that still needs a massage or two to drop the rear stance and get the roll cage closer to the roof.

The "Gotcha' Factor" will be the blower hat sticking up through the roof line. I just figured if someone attempted a back motor F/C today, that might be the hot set-up. I scratched out

a funny car roll cage to replace the old dragster type 3 point roll bar. The rear wheels and disc hubs are drilled out for 00-90 studs and lug nutz.

As with some folks here, I run into occasional motivation issues and my fair share of distractions. For instance, I just adopted a rescue dog to become a Service Dog to ease my

frazzled mind. So far, so good. He owns me mind, body and soul. He's a year and a half old Chihuahua / Dachshund mix called a "Chiweenie". I named him Jabba because it was

the first name he responded to. One day soon, maybe this year, he will respond to it again.........BTW, since he's a mix, his full name is Jabba the Mutt.

In the first pics, you'll notice my other pet. His name is Batzilla, hopefully for obvious reasons. It's a bash of a Godzilla toy and a vinyl Batman bank.

Fair warning. This will more than likely be a slow build. Since I haven't finished a model in a year or so, I have high hopes for this off-the-wall, off-the-hook project.

Thanks for listening and looking. All forms of praise and adulation greedily accepted.

20170825_175752.jpg20170825_175704.jpg20170827_154639.jpg20170827_154742.jpg20170827_154841.jpg20170827_154858_001.jpg

Jabba has me right where he wants me.

20170824_151019.jpg

Edited by Nytrozilla

Looks good. I started one back in the 70s and never got the body/engine placement figured out. I still have, maybe I can dig it out and take a few pics.

Psssssst!!!! The secret is, short input shaft. Just enough to position the engine and still have the headers clear.

Couple that with a custom fuel pump and VOILA!!! (NOTE: Your experience may vary.)

Feel free to post some pics my friend. Maybe it'll get the Mojo Workin'.

Great start, so far, Joe. It's going to be a wild one!

Glad you think so Art. I was hoping for wild.

That's looking really good joe just keep after it and that little jabba is pretty good lookin guy!!!

Vince

Thanks Vince. As far as Jabba is concerned, he thinks he's a pretty good looking guy too. It's the eyes. It's always the eyes.

I've got some busy days ahead and hope to get back on it before the weekend. I'm doing parts clean up when the Mutt allows me to.

Nitro.......i`m digging this build Brother.......the Duster body looks cool on the chassis.......glad to see some bench work from you:)

Glad you like the Duster. I remember seeing a pic of a nostalgia funny with a R/E set up. Never could find any chassis / body up shots.

Also, I'm glad to see some bench time from me too. Thanks NitroBro.

Joe, man you have a good project going on here, good stuff.   I'm envious too of your buddy Jabba, I remember well my comrades being around when I was at the bench and I miss them dearly.

By the way, that's a real snobby looking showroom turntable you show there, now if you get that sucker turning when the car's finished, you might reach YouTube VIP Lounge status.

I'll be looking....

Greetings, Michael

Joe, man you have a good project going on here, good stuff.   I'm envious too of your buddy Jabba, I remember well my comrades being around when I was at the bench and I miss them dearly.

By the way, that's a real snobby looking showroom turntable you show there, now if you get that sucker turning when the car's finished, you might reach YouTube VIP Lounge status.

I'll be looking....

Greetings, Michael

Hiya' Michael. The turntable was a lucky thrift shop acquisition inspired by another member here. I'll settle for Facebook Who's This Guy status.

That 's a great start to a cool build

Thanks Gordon. I hope you're right.

I misremembered how busy I am on the first of the month, but I'll shoot for progress before the end of the weekend ya'll.

• 2 weeks later...

Like where you are heading with this Joe! As an FYI, The host hotel for GSL lets dogs in, don't even have to be service dogs. Just not in the contest hall for obvious reasons.

Funny, I like the name. Kind of a coincidence too. Sadly 5 years ago we had to put down one of 2 litter mates. (the other was put down 4 months later) The one was named Cheyenne "da mutt", and her sister was named Kuuma. It took a bit but now we have a 4 year old rompin stompin Black Lab/Rotweiler mix named Dixie. Sweetest dog ever and all lab mentality. Kinda nutso though lol. (typical lab) And a 85lb lap dog. (also typical lab)

Nice to see you back at the table and hope we can see you at DSC maybe or if not at least GSL! We've had some changes in our lives and have come down off the mountain top and moved into the city. (Phoenix) That means now I can go to both contest he he!

Paul

Randy, Don, Paul, Robert; Thanx a lot you guys.

Paul, thankfully mine isn't nutz, but there is definitely some type of brain abnormality going on.

I'm kidding of course. However, my niece came over to see him and fell in love, so I gave him to her. Honestly, he was more of a

time vampire, (because I was paying too much attention to him) and it also taught me that it was not the solution to my issues.

At any rate, he has a new home with more people and a couple new doggie type friends. He's loving life.

I hope to get back at it shortly once I get some supplies I need.

Thanks for checking in y'all.

Hello Joe, so whatcha been doin'?   It's been 3 weeks now and I was really looking forward to a new posting by now.  You know I like those rear engine funny cars and like what you're doing here.  How about some new pics man.   cheers, tim