Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '58 Edsel Pacer

Casey

Beautiful Edsel. But, here we go again. Complaints about a new kit not being right. Again, I like the newer Edsel. It's always looked like a correct me. In every way. Plus it's available. The chances of seeing the old come kit back, especially in stock form, are probably nil. The new Ertl designed kit is great. 

Not a complaint. Just statement of fact. Look at the photo of the real one above. The rocker panels come down below the front bumper. On the new tool kit they are almost even - as if it were sectioned. The front bumpers are too tall. Compare the engine in that kit to any other FE series kit and you can see how seriously undersized it is. The rear axle shares the same shortcomings. And I own several copies of the thing. I built this pre paint for my brother. The Edsel kit isnt as bad as Trumpeter 64 Falcon, but it's not as good as the 60 Starliner or 57 300C.

IMG_9148rt-vi.jpg

They should make a funny car out of this and then I would buy it! 

Image result for amt edsel funny car

I did back in the DAY .. Thanx 

Well, what I did was use a stock AMT '58 Edsel body and the interior tin, chassis, wheels, tires and engine from an AMT AWB Comet kit. Mustang AWB donor should work as well , but that chassis doesn't hinge.  

I did 

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2018 at 5:14 PM, Casey said:

Here are the engine parts, courtesy of an eBay listing:

AMT58EdselEngine.jpg.6762906f523a543fa511d7736702f054.jpg

Very nicely detailed, but like the rear axle, seriously under scale. Likewise, the body midsection isnt tall enough and the front bumpers look fat and oversized to me. (Which exacerbates the not deep enough body). Too bad, because it builds nicely.  I did a Pro Shop one as a gift to my brother.

On 11/16/2017 at 9:11 AM, unclescott58 said:

Beautiful Edsel. But, here we go again. Complaints about a new kit not being right. Again, I like the newer Edsel. It's always looked like a correct me. In every way. Plus it's available. The chances of seeing the old come kit back, especially in stock form, are probably nil. The new Ertl designed kit is great. 

Not a complaint. Just a legitimate review. Put the new one next to the old one and tell me which one looks the most like the real one. This is my build, BTW. 

FB_IMG_1544806650211.jpg

Agreed on the new kit's issues. I picked up bumpers from the original issue '58 for mine; the shape is more correct and I wanted to remove the bumper guards (they can be cut off without leaving holes).

I may even get ambitious and make resin copies of the side coves from an original body to get the right shape.