Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Are Pee You -updated 11/25/17 -in primer

Rocking Rodney Rat

A busy weekend at the Hollywood shop of K&R Kustoms+Rods....I started by finishing up the frame. I cut the rear portion off, shortened it up a tad, set the frame at ride height, fabbed up a crude but effective jig and re-attached the frame with the new rear 'z' (then pried off the super-glued on jig)...up on all fours at last!!!  Next up, the bed. I started with the bed out of the AMT '53 Ford pickup, cut the side panels to length (short), hogged out an axle poke thru, made a bed cover and hacked the gas cap off of the tank from the Revell Model A series...thanks for looking... -RRR

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

Another update, campers. I'm now doing all the "fiddly bits" as our friend Bryce from Oz would say.... 

IMG_2341.thumb.JPG.ceb8a3606ada64235cbbe

Radiator: from the Revell 'Rat Roaster' 1932 roadster. I cut it down to fit the Model A shell and added top and bottom water hose inlets/outlets for the flat motor.

IMG_2342.thumb.JPG.57ee200547a48dcf66d29

Driveshaft....

IMG_2345.thumb.JPG.53eda5002fb23a9078b41

Gas tank, made from a length of Evergreen tube styrene with Ford dog dish hubcaps glued on each and and sanded down...

IMG_2348.thumb.JPG.31f986367cc2753682c71

Belt and pulley assembly. Sorry this pic is a bit unclear...the problem with using a side mounted generator  (necessary with three two barrel carbs as center mounted generator will interfere with the front carb) with a small car and a raised engine is that the generator on the side interferes with the passenger side upper radiator hose. I snipped that section off and made the pulley/belt assembly a triangle. I then added an additional belt/pulley assembly to mount the generator low on the side of the engine...

IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.8a755d62010516e8f6844

Interior door/side panels. Made from Evergreen sheets, simple but effective...

IMG_2354.thumb.JPG.3a5c295fb9755a4fa8691

Exhaust....

I'm in the home stretch.... Next up is to chop and attach the windshield/dash to the body. I saved this for last so as not to have it "in the way" and possibly get damaged while other work was going on...gobble, gobble, y'all... -RRR

RRR & I have been combining our efforts in documenting our hobby for several decades.  Sharing methods, material, parts selection and techniques goes back to the basics and stretches our imagination and creativeness.  From the start of any build to the unveiling, our goal is to further the talents of every modeler we encounter through our hobby. 

Edited by Kit Karson
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:18 PM, Draggon said:

I always enjoy watching you build RRR. :D Oh, and KK too!  

GLEN,

And, to encourage others to improve their skills through trial and error (you broke/messed it up... you can fix it!  Mind over matter, etc..), time and effort (Take your time and refine your efforts.), learning and studying (Curiosity may have killed the Kat, but satisfaction brought it back! Be inquisitive, ask others, and observe their style and techniques.) and lastly, have fun (Sure there have been those projects that have the heart filled desire to hit the wall, but discipline yourself and curb your frustration... redirect it to problem solving and the joy in overcoming what may seem to be insurmountable obstacles.)

We appreciate all the accolades and complements!  More so, we really are tremendously gratified by seeing others, who also enjoy the hobby, grow and profit from their experiences.  We have, and will strive to continue expanding our hobby at large, as long as our eyes can focus, and our fingers still bend.  Build on! -KK

5a21495aa21c8_-KK-RRRtheearlyyearsselfy.jpg.fcfe1cdf53b76be1cb4719a84c5e17fb.jpg

RRR and KK, you guys are great teachers and I for one am becoming more interested in building 20's and 30's models because of the knowledge gained from you two and others here on this forum!!!  Many thanks!!!????????

On 12/3/2017 at 2:19 AM, geewhiz said:

RRR and KK, you guys are great teachers and I for one am becoming more interested in building 20's and 30's models because of the knowledge gained from you two and others here on this forum!!!  Many thanks!!!????????

Thanks, Greg. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  Thumb through some of the albums on our fotki page here: http://public.fotki.com/jferren/  that have some step-by-step pix of how we do what we do. -RRR

On 12/3/2017 at 3:31 PM, tim boyd said:

R3....great project and really like your approach to showing how you approached the subject....can't wait to see your next updates....TIM

Good to hear from you and thanks for the kind words, Tim. Next pix will be over on the Under Glass section as this puppy is all but done...stay tuned.... -RRR