Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey happy new year?My Jeep battery is dead...

NYLIBUD

48 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

It's a 2000 Jeep Cherokee,with a less than 6 month old red top Optima battery.So what's up with that BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH,dam

I've had a lot of similar problems with Optima batteries over the last several years, which is why I no longer use them unless the client demands one...in which case I refuse to stand behind them, even if I install one.

I've gone back to conventional lead-acid batteries for the cars I build where I specify all the components.

You might want to check and see if there is something drawing current when the Jeep is parked. With sub zero temps even a dome light can hurt a battery. Are you sure you have a good ground and the charging system is doing what it's supposed to do.  

I'm fortunate that I have yet to have battery troubles in my Challenger, but I think the battery's days may be numbered. It was FOUR degrees outside this morning, and I hadn't driven the car since Friday. I figured I'd better get and first, clean the snow off (yeah, it snowed here Saturday), and then try to start 'er up. It cranked slowly, but did fire up with no trouble.

It's back to work tomorrow after being off for 10 days, so I wanted to make sure that there's at least no drama with the battery. I'm sure this is the last winter for it though--------the car is a 2011, and I'm almost sure it's the same battery in the car since new.

Not sure if the battery in my Jeep is the original or not...it's a 2014 with 34k miles, I bought it as a CPO with 25k miles back in March.   It starts every time I push the button.   It did spend its first 3 years in So Cal and was in AZ only a few months.   I know when I lived in AZ, I could only get 18 months to 2 years out of a battery... 

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I'm fortunate that I have yet to have battery troubles in my Challenger, but I think the battery's days may be numbered. It was FOUR degrees outside this morning, and I hadn't driven the car since Friday. I figured I'd better get and first, clean the snow off (yeah, it snowed here Saturday), and then try to start 'er up. It cranked slowly, but did fire up with no trouble.

It's back to work tomorrow after being off for 10 days, so I wanted to make sure that there's at least no drama with the battery. I'm sure this is the last winter for it though--------the car is a 2011, and I'm almost sure it's the same battery in the car since new.

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Not sure if the battery in my Jeep is the original or not...it's a 2014 with 34k miles, I bought it as a CPO with 25k miles back in March.   It starts every time I push the button.   It did spend its first 3 years in So Cal and was in AZ only a few months.   I know when I lived in AZ, I could only get 18 months to 2 years out of a battery... 

The battery in my 2012 200 is factory and it's turning over slow in this cold, but at least it's starting the car still.

They cold weather will put any battery to the test. I'm fortunate to have a semi heated garage that is at about 35 to 40 degrees now with -2 and -5  degrees outside but the 2010 Charger is starting to drag a little when starting. The dealer has been trying to sell me a new battery for a couple of years now. This is the first time I've noticed anything out of the norm. Our 2009 Wrangler is on it's third battery now so it's hard to understand how one does so well and another not so much.