Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '78 GMC 4x4 Pickup

Casey

You seem to not grasp that these kits are straight reissues of 40 yr old tooling...they aren't going to reengineer the kits and change a bunch of parts in existing molds--simply new box art and decals.   The 60s Chevy truck kits were tooled in the modern era by a totally different Revell organization than the  Revell and Monogram companies of 40 years ago (which were separate companies then).   Products of different companies in different eras. 

A new tool '73-87 GM pickup would be nice, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. 

Edited by Rob Hall

38 minutes ago, dieseldawg142 said:

oh I totatlly grasp that the trucks are 40 yrs old. what is not being grasped is the fact the revel can't seem to fix them. 

That's how the game works...same as with Round 2.  Straight reissues of old tooling + new box art + new decals = sales.  There is no incentive for them to invest in new or modified tooling when these reissues keep selling well...

Edited by Rob Hall

to alexis I had emailed revell about the chevy sport 4x4 pick up this is what they wrote back to me I asked about mad mudder also 

Hi,
No plans on the Mad Mudder right now, but we are planning on a reissue of the 70s Chevy Step Side.

... and no mention of the "3-on-the-tree" manual trans ?  Not necessarily a bad thing --- just doesn't fit with the whole Monster Truck motif .

On a good note ; at least the Monogram (now under the Revell banner) kits have clear tail lamps ! Definitely better than solid-red ...

... or moulded-in (MPC , et al.) units for that matter .

BTW ; those Revell-origin C/K's are horrible . The most offencive aspect -- and it's not mutually-exclusive to their C/K's -- are the windscreens with the runners' leading-edge blobbing-onto the windscreen's top-edge .

• 3 weeks later...
On 16-1-2018 at 3:16 PM, dieseldawg142 said:

oh I totatlly grasp that the trucks are 40 yrs old. what is not being grasped is the fact the revel can't seem to fix them. 

imagine if auto makers hoisted 40 yr old car designs on us or peoples cell phones were 40 yrs old with no improvements. 

imo there is no excuse to keep "re-packaging" these disasters and chucking them out. like many other great company's that went the wayside, improve it, or loose it...

As long as people buy them, they will crank them out, but there's a plus side to it, if the numbers are very high, it could set things in motion.

That said, I do like they way the art department of Revell presented this release, but think I will swap the grille for a Chevy unit.

Edited by Luc Janssens

Other than the 'High Roller" suspension and wheels, and the added back gun rack, it IS the Plow kit. Right down to the silly '57 Chevy style F.I. unit. After viewing Chris's excellent video review, I'll pass on this one.

Luc, you and I are 180 degrees apart one our view on the boxart on this kit. :)

I think it is even worse than the horrible art on the '76 Torino. Glad someone likes it.

I'm happy to see that the "Ground Hawg" lettering is gone to finally fix the tires so that they can be mounted correctly without one side having sidewall lettering and the other not without having to remove the molded in lettering. I'm disappointed in the guns molded to the rifle rack though, the shotgun would be useful in police cars and in my case, as a shifter for some of my custom big rigs. 

On 1/16/2018 at 9:16 AM, dieseldawg142 said:

imagine if auto makers hoisted 40 yr old car designs on us or peoples cell phones were 40 yrs old with no improvements. 

imo there is no excuse to keep "re-packaging" these disasters and chucking them out. like many other great company's that went the wayside, improve it, or loose it...

The only time Revell is likely to make major upgrades to an existing tool is A. If there's something glaringly wrong with it, and B.If they believe the improvements will have enough of a positive impact on sales to justify the cost of the fixes. The upcoming '69 Boss 302 Mustang with the retooled body is one kit that would seem to meet that criteria.

The GMC pickup? Not so much, because, honestly, the improvements would likely go unnoticed by most of the people who would buy the kit. 

On 2/8/2018 at 3:10 PM, highway said:

I'm happy to see that the "Ground Hawg" lettering is gone to finally fix the tires so that they can be mounted correctly without one side having sidewall lettering and the other not without having to remove the molded in lettering.

Unless the tire has been redesigned, removing the letting alone won't allow for mounting the tires "correctly" on the right side. The wheel halves need to be mounted to the correct side of the tire respectively, so the right side tires will still be rotating the wrong direction when mounted. Even Revell's cover shot model shows them that way:

revell7226.jpg.cfaa7aab7f1d380e1762390ad079cf21.jpg

You can get them on. Unless you plan on rolling it on the floor, then they will slip off. Otherwise they fit tight and face the right way.

They should have made them mount properly, but its completely doable as is, just stretch them over and it goes on without a lot of fuss. I didn't have to glue them on or anything.

Weird. Maybe Revell revised the tires at some point? I have an older set of Ground Hawgs and after looking at the instruction sheet on the Revell website, it looked like the tires haven't changed. The inner sidewall, where the wheel back rest inside the tires, is noticeably thicker/deeper than the same area on the outer sidewall. Has that changed?

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

Weird. Maybe Revell revised the tires at some point? I have an older set of Ground Hawgs and after looking at the instruction sheet on the Revell website, it looked like the tires haven't changed. The inner sidewall, where the wheel back rest inside the tires, is noticeably thicker/deeper than the same area on the outer sidewall. Has that changed?

Correct, one side is much thicker and the driver side fits correctly as it should.
But you can get the passenger side over the rim and it holds fine and doesn't cave or suck in on the inside of the rim either.   It's not made to fit that way, but it does in the case of needing it to sit right because it's directional tread.

Edited by hpiguy

6 hours ago, dieseldawg142 said:

jeez, you had me all excited for a moment Chris, thought they finally fixed them hawgs.....good to hear the new ones can be made to fit better, I fixed an old set, but it was a lot more work than just pushing them in. gauge decals look pretty decent too

well, our opinions differ. as far as i'm concerned, these trucks have multiple glaring issues, even the most non-automotive guy can see that. as I build only gm trucks, these issues matter a lot to me.

4 tires that pointed in the right direction properly would be a good start....

I have built pretty much every brand of squarebody there is and revell's versions are the lamest.  like I said, I won't spend my money on it.... I really don't belive there has ever been a model car or truck made with so many things not right. each to their own...

The "problem" with this kit is, that it designed as a toy, just like many automotive kits from the '70s, it was a low point in the model kit industry, with many going bankrupt, or just able to stay afloat, so tooling dollars were scarce and kits had to be, low entry level, low price to appeal to the largest interest group possible, in an era where Pickups and Vans were king!

In the late '80s automotive kits started to get more sophisticated, but still a compromise to please both the casual, as the more serious modelers, today we see smaller model companies surfacing who mostly cater to the serious modeler, a trend I believe will continue in the foreseeable future, as kids in general are not interested in building stuff, while parents are over protective (kids handling knifes and toxins like paint and glue?)

In a nutshell it would take too much investment to upgrade the tooling for this kit, that

A ) you will never recoup the investment, thus taking a loss

B ) Tooling up an all new kit will cost a bit more, but in 1/25th scale will perform much better and development costs can be spread, not only because there are many siblings possible '73-86 Blazer, Suburban, C/K series step and fleetside, but also in 1/35th (military modelers) and 1/48th (airplane modelers) scale some versions, can be co-designed cuz in the early '80s these trucks (M1008) were also used by US military forces around the globe, I remember them well when I was stationed in Germany back in '87.

IMHO something which could be done as a co-production between Revell Germany (they have 1/35th military model kits) and Revell USA.

Chevrolet_Blazer_1009_%281984%29_owned_by_Marcel_Brunner_pic2.JPG

But anyway....take this kit for what it is, a simple slum-buster which look neat on the shelf, no more no less.

Happy modeling!!

:D

Edited by Luc Janssens

11 hours ago, dieseldawg142 said:

jeez, you had me all excited for a moment Chris, thought they finally fixed them hawgs.....good to hear the new ones can be made to fit better, I fixed an old set, but it was a lot more work than just pushing them in. gauge decals look pretty decent too

well, our opinions differ. as far as i'm concerned, these trucks have multiple glaring issues, even the most non-automotive guy can see that. as I build only gm trucks, these issues matter a lot to me.

4 tires that pointed in the right direction properly would be a good start....

I have built pretty much every brand of squarebody there is and revell's versions are the lamest.  like I said, I won't spend my money on it.... I really don't belive there has ever been a model car or truck made with so many things not right. each to their own...

The point is that the kit is perfectly acceptable to the majority of people who will buy it, just as it was to the majority of people who bought it in its multiple other iterations over the years. Therefore, Revell has no real financial incentive to upgrade it or to tool up a new version.

That's not "opinion." That's fact.

If the kit is not acceptable to you, your choices are A. Don't buy it, or B. Buy it and put the work in it necessary to make it acceptable to you. Sometimes, that is just how it is ... in hobbies and in life.

Edited by Allen Wrench