Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harvick wins again

magicmustang

If you look at the last 30 years in NASCAR when a Ford is kicking butt they will go over that car with a fine tooth comb until they find something. Look at last week as a good example, a broken bracket and look at the penalty. The side skirt is all on Harvick"s team. Yet when the good old #3 goes retro and wrecks someone for a win , Crickets from NASCAR. It seems to be OK when a Chevy wrecks someone for any reason, heck I bet he got some bonus points from NASCAR for driving like Dirty Dale to get the win at Daytona. Just a few years ago #48 car was impounded 3 years in a row for not passing inspection. When he went to appeal he was off scott free nothing. In fact 2 of the years he won a championship that year. 

Gee I watched the Daytona 500  what I seen was alot of  Chevrolet's get destroyed by Ford race cars! And the driver that spun at the end when dillon won ( ford driver) said that the chevy didn't do anything other then try to win the race as the Ford driver was doing! Chevrolet don't get all the brakes that some Ford team's have got over last few years.

I have been a NASCAR fan for over 40 years, long before TV and big dollar sponsors ruined it for us real fans. I like Kevin Harvick, feel like he is a true racer and isn't afraid to drive it like it he stole it! That said, watching the races this season, especially the last three, hasn't been that exciting to me as he seems to have a car no one can run with. Yes, sometimes a team and a driver click and they dominate but if the rest of the season is going to be Harvick, Larson and Truex running up front and taking turns in the winner's circle, people will not watch. 

I think NASCAR will "give" the other teams/vehicle makes a little something to level the playing field and try to make it more "entertaining" for the fans. All one has to do is look at the empty seats and wonder how NASCAR will figure out how to fill them.

The start of this season has the feel of 2014 when Harvick won the title.  Right now he has speed on a very consistent basis; whereas, a number of the other cars are fast for only parts of the race.  Elliott seems to be the only Chevy driver that is showing speed in most every race.  Larson has been hit and miss.  The other Chevy teams are just holding on until they can figure the new car.  Hamlin, Busch and Truex are the only Toyota drivers who are showing any consistency. 

It has been an odd year so far.

1 hour ago, Psychographic said:

I don't get all this talk of a new car, isn't it just a new body? And even then it's just a new nose and doors and tail. Aren't the roofs and quarters the same on all of the cars?

David, basically you are correct, but the new pieces make the cars handle very differently as far as the setup goes and how the cars respond to in race adjustments.  When Toyota introduced the new model of the Camry in 2016, the Toyota teams struggled for almost half of a season.  In fact their 2016 season kind of mirrors Chevy's so far.  Hamlin won the Daytona 500 and then the Toyotas ran very inconsistently until the 2nd half of the season.  Toyota then placed 4 drivers in the Chase and Edwards and Busch ran for the title in Miami.  They were a juggernaut last year.

Kyle Larson was the best Chevy driver last year.  He has been up and down so far this year.  He shows speed at certain parts of the race and then it falls off in other parts.  One of the things they have been complaining about is that their in race adjustments are not working the way they anticipate they should.  Or like they did with the old car.

1 hour ago, Psychographic said:

People can spin it anyway they want, it's not a new car it's a couple of new body panels.

The only panels that are not new is the roof and deck lid, but that is the common panels between all three makes and can not be changed.

But Jim is correct,  the aero properties are different between the Camaro and SS, so yes, so meaning the Camaro is going to handle differently .

Edited by martinfan5

I'm not stupid I understand the body panels are different and at speed they will act differently. It's just all the talk of a new car everywhere, it's not a new car it's a few body panels. It's not like they went to an independent rear and strut front suspension or something like that.

46 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

I'm not stupid I understand the body panels are different and at speed they will act differently. It's just all the talk of a new car everywhere, it's not a new car it's a few body panels. It's not like they went to an independent rear and strut front suspension or something like that.

I was not implying you were stupid, forgive me if thats how it came off:(, but it is a new car, it has new panels on it, so that makes it new does it not?,  but yes , in the world of NASCAR , the Camaro is a new car,  like it or not. ;):D

Not in my opinion. Did it go from an SS engine, transmission, chassis, and suspension to a Camaro engine, transmission, chassis and suspension. No it did not, in fact it doesn't even have Camaro body parts, they are all handmade somewhat replicas of  Camaro sheetmetal.

I grew up going to a local dirt track, Many cars went from coupe and sedan bodies to Pintos, Vegas, Corvairs, Falcons, Mustangs. etc. At this time you might have seen the exact same car that was a coupe and  a few weeks later it was a Falcon. Did that make it a new car? Nope, just new sheetmetal.

If a funny car blows the body apart and it was a Camaro bodied car, and borrows a Mustang body for the next race, is it a new car?

Edited by Psychographic

What the body is called does not really matter anymore.  I have yet to go to my dealer and find a Camaro or Mustang with a "B" pillar and a four door sedan roof line, nor can I find a V-8 rear-wheel drive Camry or Fusion.   NASCAR is unfortunately on its last legs.  Just saw yesterday where Lowes is pulling its sponsorship of Jimmy Johnson after this season.  Most of the corporate 'giants' have moved away and took their money with them.  

Kevin Harvick stats:

Cup = 40
Xfinity = 47
Truck = 14

And don't forget he replaced Dale Earnhardt SR after he died in 2001 in the #29 Goodwrench car and won 2 races that year. Talk about pressure.
PLUS he was the Busch series Champion in 2001 also. He ran full time in both series. He also won the Busch series championship in 2006 and the Cup Championship in 2014. NOT TO SHABBY if I must say!!!!!!!!!!!!