Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring Starliner

JayVee

Here's a '60 Starliner that was just completed. It's painted Tamiya Mica Silver with a dark blue interior. I finally settled on a simple paint scheme since I think it works best with this car. The wheels are 19" Pegasus chrome T's, the disk brakes are from the Phantom Vickie kit, and the air cleaner is from the Revell '32 Deuce Coupe. The rest of the build is from the kit. The suspension was lowered quite a bit:

Starliner18.jpg

Starliner16.jpg

Starliner17.jpg

Starliner15.jpg

This build had two other complete paint jobs earlier in it's life. This one ended up with a huge scratch that happened while applying the approximately 3 miles of chrome foil:

Starliner8.jpg

This one ended up with bubbles in the clear in the panel lines:

Starliner14.jpg

Even though the final paint job is the simplest, I think it fits the style the best. Thanks for checking out this project!

-JV

I agree with the others...the third time's the charm. Very clean and classy...just the right look for this particular car. And your wheels look good too...big, for sure, but not so big as to look "cartoony". They're just right.

BTW...I would've added wheelwells/fender liners up front. Just my unsolicited 2 cents... :)

Thanks all! I noticed that a lot of the bagged, rocker layin' 1:1 trucks are built without front inner wheel wells so I've been leaving them off as well. On this model they would be easy to fab using sheet styrene, but for now I'm moving on to finishing a '40 Ford Coupe that's in progress.

Here's a '60 Starliner that was just completed. It's painted Tamiya Mica Silver with a dark blue interior. I finally settled on a simple paint scheme since I think it works best with this car. The wheels are 19" Pegasus chrome T's, the disk brakes are from the Phantom Vickie kit, and the air cleaner is from the Revell '32 Deuce Coupe. The rest of the build is from the kit. The suspension was lowered quite a bit:

Starliner18.jpg

Starliner16.jpg

Starliner17.jpg

Starliner15.jpg

-JV

Love the car, love the color, love the wheels, love the stance, love the modifications, love the chrome foil, absolutly love the engine, I just love this thing.

It is hard to really interest me when it comes to this subject, but you nailed it, this is very very very very close to the top of my favorite builds on here and of all time. I love Pro Touring. :angry: Magnificant.

Edited by Nick F40

Hey thanks again all. This kit sat in the box on the shelf for a long time because I couldn't get past the "big square car" thing. Once the body was shaved of the handles, mirrors, and half the chrome doodads it started to have a retro-rocket ship look that made it more fun to work with.

JayVee,

I gotta agree with the consensus here: The final paint job is simply stunning.

I love what you do with the true fire-thing and it looked great in the 1st attempt, but the end result after the "mistakes" make for some real eye-candy.

Color, stance, 'tude.......................it's got it all.

VERY nice.

• 5 years later...