Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Figoni & Falaschi bug has bitten again

Pico

Jason,                 The powdered sintered material is the strong white flexible material; which is a low resolution material and it's very "layered". It is not suited for detailed items, I have used it on bodies, but I don't use it now because of the difficulty of finishing it . I now use a local 3d printer to make my bodies - see my " The supersonic has landed" discussion thread. The material used in the door panels and seat is Shapeway's smooth detailed material. The cost of those items is $32.80. It has very little layering and is easily sanded to a smooth finish. 

• 4 weeks later...

Because the windshield frame is so thin, I've decided to cast it in white metal. Mastering proved to be difficult, plastic was too floppy, brass did not work well, so I decided to use Ave's Apoxy Sclupt, an epxoy putty. Covered the cowl area with thin plastic so the material wouldn't stick and put a glob on. It's very slow setting at room temperature, about 6 hours, so I put it in a dehydrator. Usually takes 45 minutes there. Sanded it to shape and detailed with half rounds and small turned knobs. I did not cut all the way through, to retain strength. That will be done in the metal.

DSCN8431.JPG

DSCN8427.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

It has taken several weeks to make the centrifugal caster and molds but it has worked well. This is britannia metal, a lead free white metal that I cast in a silicon mold material called Mold Max 60; that will withstand temperatures up to 560 degrees. I pour the metal about 400 degrees.

DSCN8542.JPG

Brilliant. I'm looking forward to seeing more details on the centrifugal caster, too. I was going to ask about it, then thought "nah, I'll just google it" but it would help to see exactly how you achieved these impressive results!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember seeing anyone ask yet, so, is that a Bizzarrini body in the background? Another one you carved out of thin air in your spare time? Looking forward to your build of that one! 

Oh, as everyone else has commented, it's mesmerizing seeing you create such a homogenous car out of such disparate materials. And you get the fit and proportions just right. Thanks for sharing! 

Mike 

• 4 weeks later...

Stunning craftsmanship in a variety of materials, and impressive tenacity...as always. Beautiful work, sir.  :D

I had never noticed the swirly-doodles (that's a highly technical styling term) in the centers of the fenders do not in fact line up with the axle centerlines until I saw the reference photo directly above. Most interesting.