Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan prices $$$$

55 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Steve, that one looks VERY much like mine, but according to the auction (I save all of them in a folder in my hard disc) I sold mine back in May of '07. Mine had a very slight lean to the roof A pillars (darn flat boxes!), but when you put in the glass, it straightened out with no trouble.

That wouldn't have been long after I moved to the house I'm in now..........it could have been sold for something I wanted for the house, I can't remember now. Hard to believe it's been that long now! As I mentioned I do have a couple of the '68 hardtops which I actually like a bit better than the '67's.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that I bought this one within the past few years.

It is a pristine kit that had one missing stock wheel cover which I have since replaced.

I agree with you.

I believe that I like the look of the '68 a little better than the '67 as well.

Steve

20 hours ago, PlymouthFan said:

My only true “Grail” kit I’m on the search for is the Johan 70 GTX last one I seen on eBay was 400$ it’s got me almost giving up hope of finding one

Keep looking!,i was lucky to score this promo about 8 years ago on ebay,the seller listed it as a monogram 70'GTX with the bin option for $19.99,i've gotten a few kits this way as some sellers list items incorrectly and if you know your kits you'll spot the error.IMG_1237.thumb.JPG.bec24342a923a74d1b60e9992499d0d7.JPG

35 minutes ago, kelson said:

Keep looking!,i was lucky to score this promo about 8 years ago on ebay,the seller listed it as a monogram 70'GTX with the bin option for $19.99,i've gotten a few kits this way as some sellers list items incorrectly and if you know your kits you'll spot the error.IMG_1237.thumb.JPG.bec24342a923a74d1b60e9992499d0d7.JPG

I’m not familiar enough with the differences to be able to spot them without the proper box 

It's not the price's that bother me... ( if you shop around you can "usually" find a good deal )

It's the sellers that tell you your getting a "first issue"   kit, and the picture show's a pieced together kit with mis-matched part's from  re-issue's .

And then jack the price up !

A Jo-Han kit molded in Teal Blue should N O T  have white part's "randomly" mixed in..

44 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

It's not the price's that bother me... ( if you shop around you can "usually" find a good deal )

It's the sellers that tell you your getting a "first issue"   kit, and the picture show's a pieced together kit with mis-matched part's from  re-issue's .

And then jack the price up !

A Jo-Han kit molded in Teal Blue should N O T  have white part's "randomly" mixed in..

This is not always a problem either if you know what you're looking for.

An original Johan '62 Chrysler 300 body molded in white is the exact same body as a later one molded in teal.

The difference is that the original has the correct '62 interior, but the later version has an interior tub from a '65 Chrysler promo.

As long as you know this, you won't get burned.

But I agree that it's very shady to try to pass off anything that is not original to the kit as "original".

But, unless you are "collecting" just for the sake of collecting original unbuilt kits, the later body will work just as well for building.

Steve

11 hours ago, PlymouthFan said:

I’m not familiar enough with the differences to be able to spot them without the proper box 

Once you've held them both in your hand. You will be able to spot the differences instantly

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is not always a problem either if you know what you're looking for.

An original Johan '62 Chrysler 300 body molded in white is the exact same body as a later one molded in teal.

The difference is that the original has the correct '62 interior, but the later version has an interior tub from a '65 Chrysler promo.

As long as you know this, you won't get burned.

But I agree that it's very shady to try to pass off anything that is not original to the kit as "original".

But, unless you are "collecting" just for the sake of collecting original unbuilt kits, the later body will work just as well for building.

Steve

True.

and spotting the differences is easy once you know what to look for .

And picking up an original just for the interior is not as bad as one might think.

I bought an original interior tub over the winter for less than $20

Picked up a glue bomb built original issue, just to get the interior and gave the body away . again right about $20

I did pick up a clean builder original issue  62 convertible this past winter and I think I paid maybe $50- 60 for it ( need to ck my records to be sure ,but it wasn't hateful )

Edited by gtx6970

5 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Once you've held them both in your hand. You will be able to spot the differences instantly

Oh yeah! Johan's bodies for the most part were always dead on accurate! Monogram's not so much. I've seen people on eBay try to pass off a Monogram Superbird as a Johan and the dead giveaway for me in a millisecond is the roofline. Monogram never got that quite right IMO (lifted right off their '70 Road Runner/GTX and the two ARE different), and I've even gone to lengths to contact them to let them know as much as someone who's not looking very closely can easily be fooled.

Monogram did get the nose of that car correct though as it's smooth like the 1:1, and not that "decal indentation" that Johan put on theirs. I have to wonder though if that was the original shape of the nose from Chrysler's blueprints, and Johan went with that only for Mopar to change up at the 11th hour.

Hmmm............ :unsure:

Edited by MrObsessive

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Oh yeah! Johan's bodies for the most part were always dead on accurate! Monogram's not so much. I've seen people on eBay try to pass off a Monogram Superbird as a Johan and the dead giveaway for me in a millisecond is the roofline. Monogram never got that quite right IMO (lifted right off their '70 Road Runner/GTX and the two ARE different), and I've even gone to lengths to contact them to let them know as much as someone who's not looking very closely can easily be fooled.

Monogram did get the nose of that car correct though as it's smooth like the 1:1, and not that "decal indentation" that Johan put on theirs. I have to wonder though if that was the original shape of the nose from Chrysler's blueprints, and Johan went with that only for Mopar to change up at the 11th hour.

Hmmm............ :unsure:

I’ll have to pay attention to things like that’s on my hunt 

On 5/27/2018 at 12:52 AM, Bucky said:

Just put in bids on three different JoHan kits on the 'Bay. We'll see how it goes.

Well...the first one went by me....$87.00....1963 Chrysler 300, unbuilt.

Edited by Bucky

On 5/27/2018 at 2:05 PM, MrObsessive said:

Monogram never got that quite right IMO (lifted right off their '70 Road Runner/GTX and the two ARE different),

Not sure I understand this comment.

On the 1/1  the ONLY difference between Roadrunner / GTX roof versus a Superbird is the back glass and trim

The Bird has a plug in the rear glass to change the shape of the glass itself

stock RR / GTX rear glass shape

1970-plymouth-road-runner-superbird-conv

The Bird plug goes right in over top the normal window opening

1970-plymouth-road-runner-superbird-conv

Edited by gtx6970

5 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Not sure I understand this comment.

On the 1/1  the ONLY difference between Roadrunner / GTX roof versus a Superbird is the back glass and trim

The Bird has a plug in the rear glass to change the shape of the glass itself

stock RR / GTX rear glass shape

The Bird plug goes right in over top the normal window opening

Compare the C pillars between the Monogram body and the Johan one. Johan's C pillar has the correct "broadness" due to how the back window was filled in by that plug.

Monogram's isn't quite right in that regard and to my eyes looks too much like their regular '70 Road Runner. That's how I'm able to tell in a millisecond if someone on eBay is trying to pass off a Monogram Superbird as a Johan. ;)

4 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Compare the C pillars between the Monogram body and the Johan one. Johan's C pillar has the correct "broadness" due to how the back window was filled in by that plug.

Monogram's isn't quite right in that regard and to my eyes looks too much like their regular '70 Road Runner. That's how I'm able to tell in a millisecond if someone on eBay is trying to pass off a Monogram Superbird as a Johan. ;)

Not to mention that lack of a vinyl top on the Johan version ...

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Understood.

I don't have a monogram Bird kit to compare ( guess one could call me a scale snob )  Yet I have 3 or 4 Johan Superbird kits .

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Not to mention that lack of a vinyl top on the Johan version ...

True, but Johan’s car was to represent the racer which didn’t have the vinyl top. ?

The roofline shape to me is much more accurate than Monogram’s IMO. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The Monogram '70 GTX and Superbird are a bit chunky (tall) in the body. They look like they need to be sectioned an inch or two. It's less apparent in the Superbird than it is in the GTX.

I’ve got a few monogram GTX kits I’ll need to check them and a Johan body while on the next hunt

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The Monogram '70 GTX and Superbird are a bit chunky (tall) in the body. They look like they need to be sectioned an inch or two. It's less apparent in the Superbird than it is in the GTX.

Agreed, I had a few over the years and something always looked  ' OFF ' to me.

not to mention the grille in the gtx is weird ( I've never had a roadrunner version to compare them side by side )

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Definitely! Add to that it seems that they ALWAYS sit too high! I think that a lot of this is due to how the models are engineered. Interiors that sit on platforms when the 1:1's don't have a "platform". The interior is literally on the flip side of your chassis floor. This leads to "stacking" and I think results in the ride height being just too high compared to the 1:1.

One model that's a DEFINITE must fix in this regard is Monogram's '66 Shelby Mustang. If I ever get around to building one of those, the ride height is an absolute MUST fix endeavor as that's bugged me ever since that kit debuted.

8 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

True, but Johan’s car was to represent the racer which didn’t have the vinyl top. ?

The roofline shape to me is much more accurate than Monogram’s IMO. 

Exactly . The street parts were ostensibly an afterthought . 

While I've never held a Johan Superbird in my hands , a prima fascie examination compels me to agree with the consensus that the 'Han 'Bird proportions are mucho bettero .

I first read a review about the Johan 'bird in a 1985 issue of S.A.E.  ; this was obviously a review of the USA Oldies release . The reviewer mentioned the kit's colour ; to paraphrase : " molded in turquoise (this week)..." 

FWIW : There's a "B.I.N." price in 'bay right now for a Johan Superbird / Monogram Superbird combo . I've been following its movement ...