Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Impala SS

THORDOOR220

13 hours ago, jaxenro said:

I like it this is probably my favorite build in a while it just seems so much like what I remember me and my friends having. Every time I look at it it brings back a memory 

The only thing missing is the Pioneer speakers on the rear shelf ?

Should've mentioned those earlier, I mightve added them! Lol yeah, it's been a fun build for sure. I'm sure I'll have plenty more like it as I go. There's a few things I'd change if I went back, like how I did the glass (that really fought me last night), but you live and learn right?

I just turned 57 last weekend so back when I was 18 this would have been a 11 year old rusty car about what we could afford. My brother had a 67 Chevelle with  SS emblems added (forgot where we got them) and the starter was bad. You either parked on a hill and popped the clutch rolling it down or crawled underneath and tapped with a hammer to get it to start. Different car, same rust, but you have the look down perfect for getting a six pack or two after work and parking out behind the restaurant where we all parked, they had a dirt road and dirt parking lot, open the trunk so the stereo would sound louder, and all stand around having a few.

I love all the super cars on this site, the rods, and vintage stockers, but this build just hits the memory spot. 

I just put plates from '79 on it, so about the right time frame too! I'm glad that this kinda brings you back like that. I feel like art needs to connect to people somehow, whether it be through a memory, a story, whatever. And I consider models art, so if I can make at least one person connect with it to an extent, I'll consider it a job well done.

As for progress, just got the plates and glass installed. Wipers will go on and then the rest will wait for tomorrow night or this weekend. It's super close, I'm excited

Didn't get to mess with it today (just got home from school), but I looked over the few parts I have left, and decided I'm not super fond of the mirrors. The actual mirror side is just flat, no indentation or anything. Any ideas on how to make them a little more realistic without destroying them?

IMG_4240.JPG

This build has come to an end. All assembled and weathered. There's some small details that I hadn't mentioned before, and I made a couple small changes to some things. It's not perfect, but I had a lot of fun building it. Hope you guys enjoy it as well

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG