Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will there ever be a plastic mk III lincoln?

I have the top pic, the red one. Is that a MkIII?

It is an old built up(sorry, no pic yet) liscenced to a UK company called Palitoy I think.

Was this an original Johan? or something similar?

A very impresive kit even though it is a basic curbside witha little underbody detail.

Thanks, J

Edited by HotRodaSaurus

I'd love to see plastic Mk. II, III, IV, V... but I seriously doubt it will ever happen. Resin would work if the master is done by a master.

Bob aren't these cars III, IV, V used by the bling bling low and high riser crowd?

If yes there might be a chance if not, sad...I'm a fan of those big boats what else can one expect from a kid who grew up in the '70s :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, didn't Revell do well with their '70's Monte?, wonder who bought those '70s kids like me?

Edited by Luc Janssens

Bob aren't these cars III, IV, V used by the bling bling low and high riser crowd?

If yes there might be a chance if not, sad...I'm a fan of those big boats what else can one expect from a kid who grew up in the '70s :blink:

Oh yeah, didn't Revell do well with their '70's Monte?, wonder who bought those '70s kids like me?

If I had the money to tool up some '70's kits, I'd do it. Seems nobody else ever will :rolleyes:

70mkIII.jpg

One of the first cars I turned a wheel on was one of those! :blink:

My stepdad had a '69..........I remember the starter was waaaaaay down on the bottom of the dash, had to be careful your knees didn't jam into it!.............and that car could get up an GO! :blink:

Between learning to drive in that and my Mom's '69 Javelin SST (with a 390 no less) I was one happy 16 year old learning to drive!! :blink:

Another one of my long lost '70's favorites would be the Lincoln Mark V from '77-'79............I wouldn't know where to begin to even think about scratchbuilding a body for that one! :rolleyes:

I owned a '69 Mark III in 1977 when I worked on the Pipeline and had waaaaay too much money.

Mine was burgundy in & out, leather, with the black roof.

I was told it had been owned from new by an exec at Universal studios, was sometimes used as a background car in 'McMillan', 'Kojak', and 'McCloud' series when the New York sets wrere used. I've only seen it once or twice on those.

Magnificent car, absolutely silent and quite fast!

A good resin kit would be a fine addition to any collection.

:rolleyes: Guys, could someone maybe modify a 70 T-bird to a Mark? They shared the same basic body and underpinnings? I mean I couldn't do it(I'm lucky if I finish a model)But maybe one of our more talented brothers could give ita go. Just an idea. :blink:

Yes, with enough time, talent, and hard work anything is possible. Now whether that eventually gets anything into other builder's hands is a complete ###### shoot! Seems ripe for the picking for someone, somewhere to give it a go...

Speaking of MK IIIs, Johnny Lightning came out with a nice little 1:64th diecast one this year, first time I've ever seen one in diecast. I have a tiny Lindberg plastic kit of one from back in the day.

The MK III seems like a natural for The Modelhaus, they have been getting into '70s Fords lately with the '70 Country Squire & Country Sedan wagons and '72 LTD ht....I need to get all of those. Maybe Paul Hettick (whom I believe mastered the '72 LTD) will do one eventually... :D

The '50s cars don't interest me that much, but late '60s through mid '70s big cars are a favorite genre of mine...being a child of the '70s, I remember seeing those cars around all the time.

Edited by Rob Hall

The '50s cars don't interest me that much, but late '60s through mid '70s big cars are a favorite genre of mine...being a child of the '70s, I remember seeing those cars around all the time.

Same here; I've got all the '50's subjects I already want, but many in our hobby are still lost in the '50's and earlier. I'm surprised how '70's era stuff is being almost completely ignored except for a few reissues.

Coupe de Villes, Marks, '76 Eldorado CV, Rivieras, LTD's, Grand Am/Can Am/Grand Prix/Monte Carlo/Laguna/GTO...lots of interesting stuff that could be kitted in both stock and with "fad of the hour" :lol::D custom parts to make it appealing to the widest audience.

Same here; I've got all the '50's subjects I already want, but many in our hobby are still lost in the '50's and earlier. I'm surprised how '70's era stuff is being almost completely ignored except for a few reissues.

Coupe de Villes, Marks, '76 Eldorado CV, Rivieras, LTD's, Grand Am/Can Am/Grand Prix/Monte Carlo/Laguna/GTO...lots of interesting stuff that could be kitted in both stock and with "fad of the hour" :P:lol: custom parts to make it appealing to the widest audience.

Hey I don't mind being lost in the '50's! At least those were among the first cars I can remember seeing when I knew what cars were! :D

But yeah Bob, all those cars you mentioned would have some appeal........especially for those of us who were of driving age in the '70's.

I'm still wondering why there's been no decent 1971-73 Riviera kitted out there.........that car would be killer among the lowrider crowd for sure! :D

Hey I don't mind being lost in the '50's! At least those were among the first cars I can remember seeing when I knew what cars were! :D

I was born in '60, and by the time the late '60's came around I was such a car freak I was building models and reading magazines. While I love a lot of '50's subjects (and earlier), most of that's already been done (and this year I've built a '55 Jag and '57 Ferrari)...I've always liked NEW cars, and so many of my favorites when I was young/teenage years have never been done. I really enjoyed restoring the '74 Caprice earlier this year, it might have been in the middle of the Malaise Era, but it's certainly got character!

;) Guys, could someone maybe modify a 70 T-bird to a Mark? They shared the same basic body and underpinnings? I mean I couldn't do it(I'm lucky if I finish a model)But maybe one of our more talented brothers could give ita go. Just an idea. :D

!!! theres a 1/25 -70 T-bird!!!???? GIMME!!!!GIMME!!!!GIMME!!!!GIMME!!!!GIMME!!!!

!!! theres a 1/25 -70 T-bird!!!???? GIMME!!!!GIMME!!!!GIMME!!!!GIMME!!!!GIMME!!!!

There's actually a '71 which was put out by Model King a while back............they're all over eBay in the U.S.

Not up on my T-Birds of that era, but the differences seem minimal to my view. ;)

Speaking of Lincoln Marks, big 70's cruisers, and resin possibilities...I finally photographed my Sam Miller Lincoln Mk. V. I bought this from someone at a toy show (most likely Toledo) back in the '90's, didn't pay much for it, probably about $20. It's not particularly accurate, quality isn't great, but it's the only Mk. V kit I ever saw, and figured it was better than nothing. A friend who knows a lot more about obscure promos/kits believes this one was built by Sam for a customer, because the chassis paint/silver numbering was common for Sam's personal buildups.

Anyway, it's an interesting piece to say the least. Would need a ton of cleaning up/sharpening/etc. to make it really look great. I'll probably leave it like this for it's historical "value", though I'm not sure this will ever be worth much...but who knows?? I've never seen another. I also have a builtup '79 Bonneville sedan that was a Miller model, more detail than this one. Will dig it out eventually to photograph. I have seen a couple other builds of that one. I'd kill for a '77-79 Bonneville Brougham 2 door coupe; that was my favorite GM fullsize car from the 1st generation downsized full-size GM cars.

IMG_4999-vi.jpg

IMG_4998-vi.jpg

IMG_4997-vi.jpg

IMG_4999-vi.jpg

IMG_4998-vi.jpg

IMG_4997-vi.jpg

When I was learning to drive in that '69 Mark III that my stepdad owned, we were visited one weekend by my stepdad's brother who had just bought a brand new '77 Mark V.

I thought that was one of the coolest new cars on the road at that time--------and that wasn't sayin' a whole lot as there were slim pickings in the late '70's! At least for Ford it was a big departure from the somewhat bloated looking, rounded Mark IV's.

You definitely got a rare piece Bob, as that's the first time I've ever seen a Mark V model of any sort! It doesn't look half bad considering that Sam may have started with nothing for a master. ;)

:P Zeb ol boy, what scale is that Mark? is it 1/32? I can't beleive it's 1/25th cause I've NEVER seen one built! :blink::blink:

Revell's is 1/32. Modelhaus does a 1/20 scale Mk. II that's outstanding, but the odd scale keeps me from wanting it. Sam Miller did a 1/25 Mk. II, I built it years ago and it's decent enough for something so crude. Franklin Mint did a pretty nice Mk. II.

Has anybody mentioned that The Modelhaus makes a resin kit of the '58 Mark III? Knowing Modelhaus, the quality is bound to be high.

Modelhaus has had that '58 Mk. III for many years, it's a very nice kit but IMHO the '58-'60 Lincoln was hit with a fugly stick. The '61 was a breath of fresh air, a lot more like the original Mk. II in design simplicity and understated elegance. The '69 Mk. III was reasonably restrained in design, but the opera windows/trunk hump managed to up the "bling" factor over the also elegantly restrained Eldorados of that era.