Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Stripper for a Promo Car

Chuckling here at work over Tom's comment, I forgot to mention an alternative. Perhaps you can use Easy Oven Cleaner (yellow can)? Maybe using a Q-Tip swab or something, you can try to apply it in an unseen area on the promo and see if it affects it or not.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else may work on it without causing some drama.

I'd be interested in knowing what does work on removing paint from acetate plastic as I have a few brush painted acetate cars that I want to restore, but can't until I find a safe paint remover first.

I posted a thread trying to gather junk acetate from fellow builders to use as samples to try to find a paint removal solution, but I got no response.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

On 10/21/2018 at 12:24 AM, Olderisbetter said:

I guess we still don't know. Castrol Super Clean is not available where I live (Thailand). I can get sodium hydroxide (lye), but now am afraid to use that. They are made from acetate plastic? I'll have to try to research that. Thanks for all the replies and open to more.

Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) is water-born, and in my experience, does not at all affect plastic, even the very old Tenite (Acetate) plastic.  FWIW, Tenite ceased to be used for making promotional models by about 1960 or so, when more modern plastics became available.

Art

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Anybody have any experience using paint thinner, lacquer thinner, vinegar or even moonshine? I'm curious to know what is safe and what is not.

Lacquer thinner or acetone would almost certainly melt the plastic. Some "paint thinners" (that covers a lot of territory) might as well. 

On 10/21/2018 at 12:24 AM, Olderisbetter said:

I can get sodium hydroxide (lye), but now am afraid to use that. They are made from acetate plastic? I'll have to try to research that...

Acetate is a cellulose (wood) based plastic. There are many different varieties, with differing properties...even many different specific formulations under the trade-name "Tenite".

12 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) is water-born, and in my experience, does not at all affect plastic, even the very old Tenite (Acetate) plastic.  FWIW, Tenite ceased to be used for making promotional models by about 1960 or so, when more modern plastics became available.

• acetate is soluble in many common solvents (especially ACETONE and other organic solvents) and can be modified to be soluble in alternative solvents, including WATER.
  • acetate will absorb moisture if it's soaked. It may warp badly when it dries out.
  • acetate is easily weakened by strong ALKALINE solutions and strong oxidizing agents.  WARNING: SODIUM HYDROXIDE IS A STRONG ALKALI
Edited by Ace-Garageguy

19 hours ago, Olderisbetter said:

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Maybe time to  get the sandpaper out.

Maybe try some rottenstone or pumice with a damp toothbrush to prevent damaging fine details. I’ve seen it come in 600 grit. These inert powdered abrasives might remove paint without melting the “plastic” and should rinse away with nothing more caustic than water. Just a thought!?

Just a thought, if acetate is wood based, do you think a paint stripper that is safe for removing paint from wood surfaces is gentle enough for it?

What about Murphy's oil soap, or other wood cleaners?

How about Pine Sol or simple ammonia based cleaners like glass cleaner?

Edited by Oldcarfan27