Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

• 2 weeks later...

The next go around I want to enter this. I started it way back in the late 90's. Lots I would do different now but it needs to be finished. Used a Good Stuff chassis for it. 

Body work is showing, looks like the filler and paint shrunk up. Black chassis on a unibody car. 

IMG_9131.jpg

IMG_9130.jpg

13 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I have the hood sections  almost ready for paint! Once that's painted, and the exhaust is mounted (working on the bracket) and the fuel  cap done, it'll be down to graphics--which are mostly designed. Oh, this baby's getting done!

DSC_0009cr.jpg

I can't wait to see it on the track!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Congratulations ? Dan!  Glad to see it done.

I’ve been working on my Jeepster and it’s been one step forward and two back!  Still I hope to be done before the end of the challenge!

I know, Tom. I've been following, and feeling your frustrations! Eventually, stuff will start clicking, and you'll be off to the races! You can do it!

On 12/24/2020 at 6:40 PM, Straightliner59 said:

Got 'er done!

DSC_0031cr.jpg

Absolutely fabulous! I didn't think it was possible to top your junior fueler, but it looks like you just might have done it! GOTTER DONE! 

I think you're our first completion this round, which reminds me, it's time for an update: 

ROUND 9: FINISH DATE DECEMBER 31, 2020

Tom Geiger: Jeepster MAKING GOOD PROGRESS!

Straightliner59: Midget/Indy car FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Misha: Tall T coupe MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Nzanglia: '65 Mustang modified MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Dave Branson: '66 Barracuda MAKING GREAT PROGRESS!

Spottedlaurel: '55 Chevy

TimJ: Firebird funny car

SuperbirdMcMonte: '70 Superbird

Snake45: '59 Corvette

I just saw that I never got around to adding my own entry this round, so here it is: AMT '59 Corvette. I started it back in 2018 or early 2019. Doesn't look in these pics like much is done, but there are MANY, MANY hours invested in scribing out all the body panels and door lines at that time, especially around the trunk, and then polishing the white plastic. The trunk lower edge is actually molded without a panel line, actually just more of a "step" due to the molding process, so I had to scribe that in manually and then work all the plastic down so it's even all around. What a mess! Also filled in some sink marks on the upper front fenders with superglue, which has the magical property of taking on the color underneath and just about vanishing. Amazing! I'd glued the engine together but nothing else when these pics were made. Also repaired the broken windshield frame with "fauxberglass." 

59Corvette12.jpg.f2912d61f9d787919d181a5e6d1f1c24.jpg

59Corvette03.jpg.d4fd58b39e2f16c29b3c8edca49532a8.jpg

59Corvette05.jpg.73218a3735127e37d1ecfcb9048361af.jpg

59Corvette10.jpg.0a01714b8c1b08e16b161f3693f36c69.jpg

In the last week, I've sanded the engine joints, added and filled the heads/intake, and painted the basic assembly orange, and have painted the interior red. Next BIG task will be foiling all the chrome. I think I have enough time to GITTER DONE by the end of the year. Good thoughts! B)

Good luck Snake!

Haven't done anything on my '55, but nor have I forgotten about it. As it's going to be finished in primer I think I can make the necessary repairs and mod's and do my best to get it finished. It'll be something useful to do over the next quiet week off.

I have another longstanding WIP lined-up for the next round, so one way or another I need to get the '55 finished.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Absolutely fabulous! I didn't think it was possible to top your junior fueler, but it looks like you just might have done it! GOTTER DONE! 

I think you're our first completion this round, which reminds me, it's time for an update: 

Thanks, Snake! Hadn't seen you around, in a while.  Was hoping everything was okay. Glad you're back. Now, GITTER DONE! ?

On 12/24/2020 at 11:40 PM, Straightliner59 said:

Got 'er done!

DSC_0031cr.jpg

Fantastic work Dan, it looks great. 

Work has been progressing slowly on the Firebird. The rear brakes were fitted followed by the wheels, seat and side panels.

50450413857_60d787ba13_c.jpg

DSCF1743 by timothy jones, on Flickr

50471858233_2f72e3cf62_c.jpg

DSCF1748 by timothy jones, on Flickr

The engine had fitted OK up to now but once the headers were fitted they fouled the side panels so I've taken the panels off and will refit them a bit further back.

50774817516_357f3504b5_c.jpgDSCF1893 by timothy jones, on Flickr

There isn't a lot more to do to 'gitter done' so I should have it finished in the next couple of days. I've got a few nearly finished builds lined up for the next round. 

Edited by TimJ

20 hours ago, TimJ said:

The engine had fitted OK up to now but once the headers were fitted they fouled the side panels so I've taken the panels off and will refit them a bit further back.

I think those side panels go on with the rear edge along the seat uprights. I haven't had, or looked at one of those old MPC FCs in ages. so I may be mistaken. Hang in there! You can get this, Tim! Thanks for your kind words, re: my Indy-ish car!

3 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I think those side panels go on with the rear edge along the seat uprights. 

Having looked at the instructions again I think you're right Dan. I've refitted them and added the roll bar.

50781127066_79d9a8bedd_c.jpgDSCF1902 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I've also got the wheelie bars fitted.

50781124816_2df5eda1aa_c.jpgDSCF1901 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I've just got the steering and a few other bits to add so it should be finished tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, TimJ said:

Having looked at the instructions again I think you're right Dan. I've refitted them and added the roll bar.

50781127066_79d9a8bedd_c.jpgDSCF1902 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I've also got the wheelie bars fitted.

I've just got the steering and a few other bits to add so it should be finished tomorrow. 

BOO-YA, GITTER DONE! B)

That goes for everyone else, too. B)

I've now got all the chrome foil work done on my '59 Vette, and most of the chassis. About all that's left is interior detailing, wheel detailing, and final assembly. I should be finished tomorrow, too. 

NOTE: As is now tradition, we will allow all of New Years Day to complete your build. Just announce before midnight Jan 1 that you're done, and then get a pic or two up in the next couple days and you're good. 

Keep up the good work, Snake, Tim  and Tom! You've got this! I've actually started a new project, from a box, so, I'll be out for the coming round. My new project is going to be almost completely out-of-the-box, because I want to concentrate on paint work--highlights, shading, slight weathering. Think of Russ Schwenkler's work. I have always been inspired by his paintwork. Or maybe Francois Verlinden. The project is well suited to those techniques. We can learn from all types of modelers.

All that said, I should be able to get this thing done in time for the round after next. I have a Monogram Don Edmonds' modified that's been sitting partially complete for about twenty years that needs to be gotten done! Should I mention that my current project is also a Monogram kit? Maybe you should just call me "Mr. Monogram"!?

Edited by Straightliner59