Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Ford 427?

I will be interested to hear the answer to this myself.

I've been assuming that the 390 from the AMT '67 Cyclone & '66 Fairlane kits are basically the same on the outside as the 427.

But then again, I know very little about Ford power plants.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I wouldn't overlook the ancient Revell parts-pack engine. They're still available fairly cheap in the last repop version, and save the expense of buying a complete car kit just to get an engine.

image.jpeg.388ba99f67f50b4a52b9b23d18380631.jpeg      Image result for revell parts pack 427 ford

Though it has many parts and is considered unnecessarily "fiddly" by a rather high percentage of modelers, with care, it builds up into a very nice representation of a Ford FE engine. Remarkably, Revell's tooling designers were actually (usually) able to use measuring instruments correctly, and divide by 25, 50-odd years ago (though someone did place a magneto (well, really it's a Spalding Flamethrower dual-coil distributor) at the REAR of the manifold on the blown version, which is ridiculous and quite impossible in reality).

I'll be doing a side-by-side Q&B buildup of it and the AMT '60 engines shortly, just to see for myself how they compare.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Casey said:

Which Ford 427 engine are you asking about? The SOHC Cammer engine had a displacement of 427 c.i., too.

I'm not sure about the OP, but I was planning on using the 390 engine from the '67 Cyclone kit with an added dual quad intake to represent a '67 427 R code.

The AMT 1967 Galaxie XL kit that I'm working with includes "cammer" parts, but I thought that might be stretching the stock feel that I'm going for.

Though I thought that I read somewhere that it was possible to order the SOHC engine in the '67 Galaxie?

Steve

33 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The AMT 1967 Galaxie XL kit that I'm working with includes "cammer" parts, but I thought that might be stretching the stock feel that I'm going for.

Though I thought that I read somewhere that it was possible to order the SOHC engine in the '67 Galaxie?

Steve

Steve, if you're going for a plausible stock build, the FE Cammer won't do. It was not available in any Ford road car, not even as a dealer installed option. As far as the factory was concerned, it's a race engine only.

26 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Steve, if you're going for a plausible stock build, the FE Cammer won't do. It was not available in any Ford road car, not even as a dealer installed option. As far as the factory was concerned, it's a race engine only.

That's what I thought.

But then I read this from an article that another member sent me.

"The big Fords could still be ordered with either a 410 horsepower 427 4 barrel, or the dual quad type that delivered 425 horsepower. Ford also continued offering the SOHC through the parts department."

That tells me that it would have been possible to get one.

Regardless, I'm still planning on the dual quad R code.

Steve

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I will be interested to hear the answer to this myself.

I've been assuming that the 390 from the AMT '67 Cyclone & '66 Fairlane kits are basically the same on the outside as the 427.

But then again, I know very little about Ford power plants.

Steve

All Ford FE engines are basically the same on the outside except for valve covers and intake system.
Detailwise I would go with the engines in the AMT 60 Starliner kits wich I think is the best so far and if you get the Custom or 2'n1 kit you get everything you need to do a R-code 427 from the oval air cleaner and dual carbs down to the correct long cast iron headers.
But there are other decent ones out there too.

Edited by Force

The Starliner engine is about the best FE but for an accurate R-code you'll want the pent roof valve covers.  Might as well look for the AMT 427 Fairlane, which has the correct R-code intake and valve covers.  The Fairlane engine is also pretty good and it has separate C6 and Toploader transmissions.

36 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

The Starliner engine is about the best FE but for an accurate R-code you'll want the pent roof valve covers.  Might as well look for the AMT 427 Fairlane, which has the correct R-code intake and valve covers.  The Fairlane engine is also pretty good and it has separate C6 and Toploader transmissions.

Is there a difference between the valve covers in the 427 Fairlane kit and the 390 kit?

The valve covers off of the 390 look pretty close to the ones I'm seeing in most of the pics I see on line, minus the chrome of course.

I have the original dual quad intake from the Galaxie kit that looks like it will fit perfectly, and I can modify an oval air cleaner from the '63 Galaxie kit pretty easily.

I'm not terribly worried about the exhaust manifolds.

I really can't justify buying any new kits just for the engine.

Don't have an un-built '60 Starliner or the 427 Fairlane. but I do have a pair of 390s from the Fairlane & Cyclone kits.

Steve

2v2EHJLZTxwUbWP.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

My vote would be the AMT 60 Ford. The AMT 66 Fairlane are a close second.

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Here are pix of that engine...

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I wouldn't overlook the ancient Revell parts-pack engine.

12 hours ago, afx said:

Revell Parts Pack 427 Simple buildup with aftermarket pulleys and belts.

Thank you all for the information. I was going to use it for a '56 Panel Truck, so I'll probably use the Starliner engine.

On 2018-12-20 at 9:41 PM, dodgefever said:

Yes the AMT 66 Fairlane/67 Cyclone engines are not bad but it depends on what time period you are after.
Because all R-code 427 didn't have pent roof valve covers, the 427 came under the 1963 model year about the same time as the fastback roof line on the Galaxies,  the 427 versions were Q-code single four barrel 410 hp or R-code dual four barrel 425 hp and the early 427's had chrome plated rounded baldy valve covers with a Thunderbird 427 decal from the factory.
The 2'n1 and Custom kits of the AMT Starliner has every thing you need to do a correct early R-code 427, and if you have the Starliner 2'n 1 kit you can do almost any version of an early FE, you get two complete engines and the 352 HP, 390 HP, 390/406 6V, 427 4V and 427 8V can be done with the parts included in the kit, and with a little kitbashing and parts changing you can do wich ever FE you want.

12 minutes ago, Force said:

Yes the AMT 66 Fairlane/67 Cyclone engines are not bad but it depends on what time period you are after.
Because all R-code 427 didn't have pent roof valve covers, the 427 came under the 1963 model year about the same time as the fastback roof line on the Galaxies,  the 427 versions were Q-code single four barrel 410 hp or R-code dual four barrel 425 hp and the early 427's had chrome plated rounded baldy valve covers with a Thunderbird 427 decal from the factory.
The 2'n1 and Custom kits of the AMT Starliner has every thing you need to do a correct early R-code 427, and if you have the Starliner 2'n 1 kit you can do almost any version of an early FE, you get two complete engines and the 352 HP, 390 HP, 390/406 6V, 427 4V and 427 8V can be done with the parts included in the kit, and with a little kitbashing and parts changing you can do wich ever FE you want.

Much appreciated info right there. Thanks. Nice to have it clearly spelled out.

8 hours ago, Force said:

No, quite right.  It was the discussion of a '67 R-code that led me down that path, but I forgot the OP didn't specify a year.

Edited by dodgefever

9 hours ago, dodgefever said:

No, quite right.  It was the discussion of a '67 R-code that led me down that path, but I forgot the OP didn't specify a year.

Yup, my fault.

I was just jumping in on the conversation because I'm in the middle of a '67 build at the moment and am also looking for info on 427 engines.

Sorry to complicate your thread Tyler. :P

Steve

16 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Apologies. I did not include a year, because year doesn’t matter. As long as It’s a 427 Wedge.

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sorry to complicate your thread Tyler. :P

No problem Steve! It actually helped me too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 9:05 AM, Len Woodruff said:

My vote would be the AMT 60 Ford. You are correct externally they are all the same. The AMT 66 Fairlane are a close second.

Ditto on the AMT '60 Starliner kit.... The newest edition has 2 complete engines with 2x4 intake and the other 3x2 Holley system....