Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anybody noticed if VW is going nuts on licesning stuff lately? HPI Racing has had to kill their "1/10th" Baja Bug body and now I've notice that they've killed their "bug" body for the E-Savage Monster Truck as well as the RTR model that used that shell, somebody on RCCrawler has discovered that Losi has killed off all of their RTR's using "Bug" styled bodies, and now I've found that Revell of Germany has no Beetle models on their website! The only place so far I can find a "Bug" looking vehicle is on Tamiya's US site :lol:

Has anybody noticed if VW is going nuts on licesning stuff lately? HPI Racing has had to kill their "1/10th" Baja Bug body and now I've notice that they've killed their "bug" body for the E-Savage Monster Truck as well as the RTR model that used that shell, somebody on RCCrawler has discovered that Losi has killed off all of their RTR's using "Bug" styled bodies, and now I've found that Revell of Germany has no Beetle models on their website! The only place so far I can find a "Bug" looking vehicle is on Tamiya's US site :lol:

Kind of a on going problem with VW/Audi I am surprised the R8 and R10 was released. They say their very greedy with licensing and want all the money. That is why there was never a A4 kit.

I've never gotten around the idea of why some companies are so stupid with licensing. Hell, a model kit is like a free ad for them! On a different are...Think of what the Gran Turismo game series has done for some cars like the Subaru WRX. Me being Volkswagen? I'd let kit manufacturers license my stuff, but then I would make sure they do accurate stuff.

I still have a nice Baja Bug body on my Tamiya Super G. :lol:

"Herbie" never did have VW identification in the original or subsequent films. It was not referred to as a VW, Volkswagen, Beetle, or anything else except "Herbie" or "the little car." That was some decision on the part of Buena Vista Films. I'm not sure of the reason. But "Herbie" has never carried VW markings. Even the hubcaps on the film car are just baby moons.

Terry

First I've heard of it, but I do recall when Polar Lights issued their "Herbie the Love Bug" kit, it had no VW markings anywhere on it. Perhaps that was an attempt to get around the licensing which may have eventually led to this.

According to wikipedia, all VW emblems and markings were removed from the Herbie cars to avoid any trademark issues. Odd, because actual Beetles were placed in theater lobbies or out in front of the theaters for some of the movie premiers. The cars were not provided by VW, however, but by local dealers.

Fujimi has a current VW GTI kit out (MKV, the 2006-2009 body style, its on my bench right now). Tamiya is the only other manufactuer that I can think of currently has a VW kit. Did'nt Revell AG have a VW Bus out recently? I know Revell's new Beetle kit if discountinued a few years ago

I've never gotten around the idea of why some companies are so stupid with licensing. Hell, a model kit is like a free ad for them! On a different are...Think of what the Gran Turismo game series has done for some cars like the Subaru WRX. Me being Volkswagen? I'd let kit manufacturers license my stuff, but then I would make sure they do accurate stuff.

I still have a nice Baja Bug body on my Tamiya Super G. B)

SWEET! :D pics? :P

I agree though. :lol: Can you imagine with the Sand Scorcher body???

Edited by Nick F40

Fujimi has a current VW GTI kit out (MKV, the 2006-2009 body style, its on my bench right now). Tamiya is the only other manufactuer that I can think of currently has a VW kit. Did'nt Revell AG have a VW Bus out recently? I know Revell's new Beetle kit if discountinued a few years ago

I wonder if Fujimi will do the new Scirocco? That would be cool... I'd love to see some more current Audi kits besides the R8....I'd love to see the RS4, S5, S8, and TTS kitted...

MEEE TOO! B)

Probably wont happen until Porsche buys VW, and it's coming sooner than later. My brother who works pretty far up in Bentely said the other day look out.... most of VW/Audi USA corp people are getting the axe because of how poorly they have performed - consider that VW is and has been in the top 5 biggest manufactures for a long time and America is the largest market for autos; however, for VW the States is one of their smallet markets. It doesn't add up, well because by and large VW has never been one to build cars for Americans.

Nevertheless, Porsche has been pretty good about licensing. They keep a very close eye on it, but are reasonable about what they charge. So when that all happens and the dust settles it will change for VW/Audi too.

But understand you have two forces that are at work here when it comes to licensing.

1. the Legal aspect. VW or anyone else doesn't want some 3rd part to do anything that may damage their image intentionally or invertantly - so you have the lawyers say protect yourself protect yourself protect yourself, which cost money.

2. The finacial aspect, where it's costing them to protect themself and the bean counters are saying you really need to be collecting royalties for what is basically our product.

Agreed that some companies take this to a whole new level and are just not worth dealing with.

Again though, the two toughest companies out there on licensing and keeping track of it....

Ferrari, who are just insane about it, but will work with you, and as already mentioned Porsche. Porsche WILL find you if you are using any of there stuff without asking, right down to the font, no mater how small or under the radar you may be. They will find you and you will get a Cease and Desist order.

Revell had a Golf(?) GTI a few years back, late 90's-2000ish version.

It will always be the Rabbit to me.

• 3 years later...

I see so many posts on here about why manufacturers would make it so hard to pay for and get licensing for model kits.

Forget about "free advertising." It isn't there. Listen, the manufacturers make tons of money from licensing their logo to a million different entities, and model kits are not at the top of their list. They don't see it as "free advertising," which they don't need at all, but as an income opportunity. Just stop thinking about the supposed advantages, which don't exist.

Sooo, My question is....

When is a topic too old to be replied too?

And if when... why don't old topics past that date be erased or deleted?

Just wondering..... :rolleyes:

I think it depends on what your reply is.

Asking for an update is one thing.

Replying as though it's just a current thread is another. At least give a clue that you realise how old the thread is.