Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/18 PT Cruiser custom with matching trailer

Kruzn

Back in summer of 2000 we bought one of the first PT Cruisers in our area. It was all-black and I wanted to do something custom without getting too wild (I'm a conservative guy anyway). I suggested 2-tone to the wife, but she could not envision it. So....I took apart a Maisto 1/18 model and the transition began.

First was the 2-tone red over black paint followed by lowering the suspension and adding taller tires on the back. Lake pipes were added (borrowed from a Mercury custom), as was a custom-made brass receiver hitch and scratchbuilt cat-back "dual" exhaust. 

When the model was complete, I showed it to the wife and she was then onboard to do the paint work on the 1:1 PT. All of the other mods (lowered suspension, tires, exhaust, lake pipes, etc.) had already been done.

We also had a 1:1 custom trailer that was painted to match the PT. I built a replica of that in 1/18 scale by carving the main body from a solid block of basswood which was then sealed and painted. The rear axle and wheels came from another PT diecast while the fenders were cut off a diecast '34 Ford.

We still have the 1:1 PT, but sold the trailer a number of years ago.

0128191228.jpg.16dae05359399d30a755992d97a85f5d.jpg

0128191228a.jpg.06a51fa823e2fff22fbc237ad076b32a.jpg

The 1:1 version (missing lake pipes at the moment).

1230181131.jpg.09db0093f8f8439814fe7ab84ed70833.jpg

Edited by Kruzn

• 3 weeks later...