Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Dodge Charger

David G.

17 hours ago, Justin Dodson said:

Looking fantastic! If it ends up in a diorama you could have it parked in one of those "green vehicles only" parking spaces because it's "green" :lol: 

Keep it up!!

Thanks  Justin, what a great idea! I probably won't make a diorama for it, but I may try making a sign.

13 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

This is looking awesome,  I love the AMT '71 charger kit! And that kits engine is fantastic!

Thank you Tony. I agree with you, this is a great kit, it builds nicely and has excellent detail.

David G.

11 hours ago, David G. said:

Thanks  Justin, what a great idea! I probably won't make a diorama for it, but I may try making a sign.

Thank you Tony. I agree with you, this is a great kit, it builds nicely and has excellent detail.

David G.

Awesome, I wonder when AMT will do the Hemi engine again for this kit ..... or did I miss it !?

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since the last update. I've had a lot of other things going on in my life which have severely curtained my bench time. Things have settled enough this week to allow some much needed styrene therapy.

The glass is in and the firewall and spoilers are attached.

71_DodgeCharger_14.thumb.jpg.613c08fa8fd49d33b9fcc5541a7813d1.jpg

I've also finished the foil trim...

71_DodgeCharger_15.thumb.jpg.ad6ecc03b2c596c1ce040764a07be33c.jpg

...and attached the rear clip and license plate. We're ready for decals and final assembly!

71_DodgeCharger_16.thumb.jpg.feeb0d7aa547b01f64cbe099e8146cfd.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

18 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

that color is stunning on that car!!! nice work man ?

Thank you Scott. That color is a bit outside of my comfort zone but I'm glad I chose it.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

You're doing some really great work here!.:)

Thanks Curtis, I hope to finish it up this weekend.

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!

I finally got the chassis and body married together. There were issues with the interaction between the interior assembly and the body. I had to partially dismantle and reassemble the interior to get things in proper alignment.

71_DodgeCharger_17.thumb.jpg.27fe79ffd801e97d5e878726b2d92ed6.jpg

I still have to add the wiper motor and brake booster to the engine bay and then dust it up a little.

71_DodgeCharger_18.thumb.jpg.4c16672fd0e3440fa32c145cf282da56.jpg

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this car is essentially done. I have a few paint chips to touch up and a final polish, but it's done.

71_DodgeCharger_19.thumb.jpg.9b68a299920ea6d8fd36aedc3c252bc7.jpg

Except...

A couple of weeks ago, I started putting the decals on and had a mishap.

71_DodgeCharger_20.thumb.jpg.8befa0a41f7bd8dd912dce7e1c50b645.jpg

And of course, the more I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

I contacted Round 2 about a replacement. It took them a couple of weeks to get back to me, which is alright because I needed a time-out on this one anyway. As I expected, the kit is no longer on production and the decal set is no longer available. 

With some precise masking and a Sharpie, I may be able to  make a passable repair. I've also done a little looking online and have found a couple of possible replacement options.

Of course, any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

David G.

David, it looks great, don't give up, all is not lost. Firebird Designs makes a set for this model, check out their website. Jeff's great to deal with. He'll custom make them as well as I've had him custom make several sets for my projects. They are very nice decals. Here's the set for $7.00

He makes a lot of decals for many  kits no longer made. Go to catagories then AMT kit decals. Here's the link. Hope this helps. Blessings, Geno.

https://firebird-designs.ecrater.com/

54ba7eb225016_276203n.jpg

Edited by Geno

16 hours ago, Geno said:

David, it looks great, don't give up, all is not lost. Firebird Designs makes a set for this model, check out their website. Jeff's great to deal with. He'll custom make them as well as I've had him custom make several sets for my projects. They are very nice decals. Here's the set for $7.00

He makes a lot of decals for many  kits no longer made. Go to catagories then AMT kit decals. Here's the link. Hope this helps. Blessings, Geno.

https://firebird-designs.ecrater.com/

54ba7eb225016_276203n.jpg

Gene, thanks for the tip but I actually got a pleasant surprise in the mail yesterday.

As I mentioned, I got a response from one Round 2 customer service rep telling me that the decal set for the 71 Charger was no longer available. In the meantime, another customer service rep had already sent me the decal set for the Dirty Donny's 71 Charger! 

This turns out to be a much better decal set with many more options.

20190406_043932.thumb.jpg.19658229cc5670be4a0a3ed91d8b242a.jpg

I am, as you might imagine, very happy with this outcome.

David G.

On 4/6/2019 at 6:04 AM, Geno said:

Fantastic Dave, yes, it definetely has more options. Glad you got a set, I can't wait to see it finished up.B)

Thanks Gene, me too.

BTW, I did save that link for future use. Thanks for that.

David G.

After a bit of very careful work with some Micro-Sol, warm water, dish soap and a toothbrush, I was able to safely remove the old damaged decal.

71_DodgeCharger_21.thumb.jpg.35c6aecc815b9b90e89c099e278e156e.jpg

And now, I'm back where I planned to be three weeks ago. This time, I even have the "gill" decals.

71_DodgeCharger_22.thumb.jpg.b1d6721adc0820d90f3cfba19a094efe.jpg

So now, on to the rest of the decals!

David G.

10 hours ago, David G. said:

Thanks Gene, me too.

BTW, I did save that link for future use. Thanks for that.

David G.

You're most certainly welcome Dave, I buy a lot of decals from Jeff. The Charger rocks, it looks great.:)

Edited by Geno