Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeling TV sit-com cars from '50s-60s; any out there?

W Humble

2 minutes ago, W Humble said:

As I posted elsewhere, I'd like to find source(s) for 1/25 scale 'teenage' figures for my sitcom diorama.  I'm going to take a whack at it thanks to all your encouragement.   Need Wally Cleaver, Eddie Haskell, Lumpy Rutherford, plus Bud Anderson... and maybe a teen babe for his tub.  Ideas?

try iceman collections, he does a few 3d printed figures or there are resin japanese girls in some of the aoshima and hasegawa kits. theres also a pretty large range of figures by masterbox that has a bit of everything.

8 hours ago, W Humble said:

As I posted elsewhere, I'd like to find source(s) for 1/25 scale 'teenage' figures for my sitcom diorama.  I'm going to take a whack at it thanks to all your encouragement.   Need Wally Cleaver, Eddie Haskell, Lumpy Rutherford, plus Bud Anderson... and maybe a teen babe for his tub.  Ideas?

There are 4 figures (and even the seated "babe") that would be perfect for these guys in the set I linked in your other thread. Even one of the ones in a suit would do an excellent Eddie!

https://www.amazon.ca/P2501B-24pcs-Model-Trains-Architectural/dp/B07DWFRQB5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 6:43 AM, Tcoat said:

There are 4 figures (and even the seated "babe") that would be perfect for these guys in the set I linked in your other thread. Even one of the ones in a suit would do an excellent Eddie!

https://www.amazon.ca/P2501B-24pcs-Model-Trains-Architectural/dp/B07DWFRQB5

Thanks for sharing those. Quite Useful.

34 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Anyone remember Ed Byrnes who played the character 'Cookie' In the TV Series 'Sunset Strip' and made a model of his Hot Rod Car.

I do not know if it was ever made as a dedicated kit or not, but probably someone has done a conversion if not somewhere?

Ed Byrnes played "Kookie"...

56 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

Any one remember the Mod Squad??

50merc1.jpg

50merc2.jpg

50merc3.jpg

msquad1.jpg

msquad2.jpg

msquad3.jpg

Al, I think Mod Squad was the inspiration for the Revell Merc Wagon.

It was never mentioned when the kit came out, But I'll bet it was on somebodies mind. 

Sadly the kit seems to have vanished down the 'black hole' that has swallowed so many late 'teens Revell kits. This kit was only one of them that have disappeared. What flooded the shelves of Hooby Looby from 2014 to 2019, is now gone. 

• Like 1

Oddly  enough, I was just looking at a model car mag from quite some time back that had the Mod Squad Merc and show figurines built; not bad.  Guess the wagon gave the production crew so man problems that they replaced it with a modern van in later shows.  Didn't watch the show, tho.

Kookie; never missed 77 Sunset Strip, from the Warner TV show factory: private eye and westerns!  T bucket was the Norm Grabowski car, right?  I've seen the repop version, which is very cool, but never the original, now had the kit -- tho I had Beatnik Bandit, Outlaw, and a lot of other T rods.  

I haven't bought any figurine sets yet, hoping to find the perfect ones; Wally and Eddie need to be crouched or running away, which is hard to find.  Lump could be sitting (stunned!) in his ragtop, and Bud A. should be trying to get his Model A running.  Thanks for the tips!  Wick

For what it's worth, I think he was in a couple of them as "Duke" Hathaway, Mayfield High's BMOC.  Also in one or two Father's.  He co-starred with Cynthia Pepper in a 'roaring 20's' fad show called 'Margie' where he drove a Stutz Bearcat, I think.  (Years before it had been a pop song and later movie.) Don't know about Donna Reed.  Not he, but a number of sitcom kids were grads of the Mickey Mouse Club productions, incl. Tim Considine, Don Grady, etc. Jimmy Hawkins was 'Scotty' in DR, had a funny '31 Chevy roadster with F-100 steering, SBC with 265 manifolds which Scotty called a '350' -- about '60.  He was one of the kids in 'Its a Wonderful Life'.

"TV Tom!"  Some great old rides!  Perry Mason for the best, tho!

22 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Al, I think Mod Squad was the inspiration for the Revell Merc Wagon.

It was never mentioned when the kit came out, But I'll bet it was on somebodies mind. 

Sadly the kit seems to have vanished down the 'black hole' that has swallowed so many late 'teens Revell kits. This kit was only one of them that have disappeared. What flooded the shelves of Hooby Looby from 2014 to 2019, is now gone. 

Alan, if you look close, mine is build from the Revell Merc wagon...surfboards, flathead, were AMT, built it from photos online..

1 hour ago, thatz4u said:

Alan, if you look close, mine is build from the Revell Merc wagon...surfboards, flathead, were AMT, built it from photos online..

Brilliant Build.

I have a that kit in my stash, waiting to be built as a Generic Cali Surf Wagon. Revell would have sold a lot more of them, if they had included a Flathead Motor, and Cadillac Script Valve Covers. I question some of the design choices in the kit. Almost no build options. Build it Their way and no other. Following the wonderful Chopped '49 Merc with all of it's options, the wagon kit was just a little bit too staid. At least include the wheel options from the Chopped Merc.

Edited by stavanzer

Ed Byrne's character Kookie..........Cookie how I spelt it..

Thanks for correcting my trans Atlantic mistake Al.

I was trying to remember back goodness knows how many years to when I watched an old black and white TV with my parents. Late 50's early 60's? Cannot be sure. It was such a long time ago!

6 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Ed Byrne's character Kookie..........Cookie how I spelt it..

Thanks for correcting my trans Atlantic mistake Al.

I was trying to remember back goodness knows how many years to when I watched an old black and white TV with my parents. Late 50's early 60's? Cannot be sure. It was such a long time ago!

back that far all of our memories get a little fuzzy...First time I saw the Beatles & the Stones on the telly over here was in b&w also....

22 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Brilliant Build.

I have a that kit in my stash, waiting to be built as a Generic Cali Surf Wagon. Revell would have sold a lot more of them, if they had included a Flathead Motor, and Cadillac Script Valve Covers. I question some of the design choices in the kit. Almost no build options. Build it Their way and no other. Following the wonderful Chopped '49 Merc with all of it's options, the wagon kit was just a little bit too staid. At least include the wheel options from the Chopped Merc.

really?...look here..http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/106026-49-merc-woodie-wagon-done/#comment-1500573

That is a Fantastic Build, Al!

I guess my point is that compared to the Chopped '49 Merc that spawned this Woodie kit, the Woodie is a pretty " One Version Only" Kit with few of the optional Grilles, Wheels, and other parts that are in the Chopped Merc. And Then, while having an almost Bone Stock Exterior, Revell Re-used the Hot Rod Engine, which leads to a "Neither Fish Nor Fowl" aspect to the kit. If it had a Flattie, that might have increased sales. I have scrounged Parts from the Chopped Car to use on my build, but I should not have had to do so.. Revell should have had those parts in the box to begin with. That those parts never made it into the box, is more evidence for my suspicion that the Ghost of the Mod Squad Wagon was behind this whole tooling from the Beginning, even if it dare not say it's name.

Either way though, I am thrilled to have the kit. Seeing your Great Build, inspires me to go dig up mine, and move it onto the bench.

Thank you for sharing and prodding me to work on mine. 👍  

• 3 months later...

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Beverly Hillbilly's Olds Truck on here. I came across a clipping I saved many years ago about building that kit to achieve that beat up look from an old Model Car Science Magazine.

It was a good old series to watch back in the day. The character casting was good especially Granny and including the actress who played the straight laced adviser from the bank.

I can remember one episode where Jethro arrived home and asked 'What's for dinner tonight Granny?'. To which she replied 'Possum Innards! He went on to say ' And what have we got tomorrow?' To which Granny replied 'Leftovers!'

Did anyone mention Mr. Haneys disreputable 'truck' on Green Acres?  What was it? In one episode Oliver and Lisa rent it to haul their hay crop; lots of views but I didn't recognize it.  OC, many 'trucks' and 'tow cars' were made from automobiles, like the Olds.  

Here's my victim:

Wick

405322198_2022-09-24(2).png.99bcbe596faa27ca392a285bcaba77ba.png

• 3 months later...

Further to my last posts, another regular series comes to mind.

Cannot remember what the actual cars were, but used to watch the old Highway Patrol series starring Broderick Crawford.

But I can remember the closing statement at the end of every episode, 'Remember, it's not the car that kills, it's the driver!'

Not a sitcom, but with cars of of that era, like the Rolls Royce Silver Cloud (I think) that Gene Barry drove around in Burke's Law.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

3 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Cannot remember what the actual cars were,

One of my favorite shows as a kid, loved the squealing tires on those dirt roads. If I can remember correctly I believe the early shows had him driving Fords of that era, but in the later shows he switched to Buicks.  I may have different shows in mind, but still liked that show.

Rick; yeah -- Hollywood! Go figure!  I almost bought a '55 Buick two-door sedan, and a stick-shift, too!  One forgets that the Special of those days had a nailhead one cubic inch smaller than the new Chevy small block: 264 cu.in.!  Buick-Olds-Pontiac had horrible old 'selector-shift' transmissions then, and this one wouldn't stay in second gear, so I passed.  The floor-shift conversion for that box were bizarre; speed-shifting definitely discouraged!  Dynaflow wasn't better, either!

If one looks closely, there are lots of hokey tricks; notice how often cars with nice finishes (like the obviously lacquered finish on Lumpy Rutherford's pretty Ford) are de-lustered to accomodate the camera lens.  Whatever shine-killer they put on the paint was often painfully obvious, at least in the version we now see, with better definition than on that old Zenith or Admiral b&w screen!  Even on 'I Love Lucy' it's easy to discern that the windshield has been completely removed on the RIcardo's new 'Ponny-AC' ragtop!  I've viewed the Perry Mason canon more times than I care to admit. and though it featured droves of cool cars from the late 'fifteis and early 'sixties (eventually even a Mustang) their studio never removed glass or used gloss-killers.  Well, a lawyer based in L.A. would be behind the wheel often, and his rides had to reflect the current sponsorship.  One favorite that showed up in many PM episodes was just a 'used car' by then, a very trip '55 Chevy Nomad.  And of course, dectective Paul Drake inevitably wheeled a rakish ride, leaning heavily on T-Birds and 'Vettes!  Lots of rich details!  Wick