Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Experiment

I have dozens of waterbase acrilics for crafts and use it to do some detail work but am curious if you all think it would work as a body color and be able to be clear with say dupli-color.... I’m going to test it out but was curious what you thought

I too have a load of craft paint and have found a way to do almost all my Finnish work with them.

I havent used the dupli color so cant help you there 

I have yet to put a contest worthy paint job on my work but im not really interested at this time in putting in the effort to do so but i have learned to do an acceptable to me job for the shelf sitters i build.Heres the stuff i use,distilled water is the other ingredient not shown to make a home brew reducer.For me 30% reducer to the craft paints sprays well in my neo AB.

The Minwax i reduce with straight distilled water at same %

paint.jpg.57443156ee404f511215153d0e7f725a.jpg

Edited by Spruslayer

56 minutes ago, Spruslayer said:

I too have a load of craft paint and have found a way to do almost all my Finnish work with them.

I havent used the dupli color so cant help you there 

I have yet to put a contest worthy paint job on my work but im not really interested at this time in putting in the effort to do so but i have learned to do an acceptable to me job for the shelf sitters i build.Heres the stuff i use,distilled water is the other ingredient not shown to make a home brew reducer.For me 30% reducer to the craft paints sprays well in my neo AB.

The Minwax i reduce with straight distilled water at same %

paint.jpg.57443156ee404f511215153d0e7f725a.jpg

Interesting, post a pic of a painted kit I'm curious how it looks.... I want to use the dupli-color to get the shine and I know they have used water based color on cars so it's not a stretch to think it would work...

10 minutes ago, Spruslayer said:

bigmack2.jpg.59444f57747c2f773daa242b67a5aeff.jpgI have a post in the truck section under work in progress DM 600 thats done in craft paint

Im still in the learning curve on how to get a high gloss with the Minwax but i think its doable

Nice, Looks good, I wonder if you could polish that like you do car paint....

i believe it can be polished if let to cure completely.If i can get it to lay like the rattle can enamels i sometime use i would be happy but thats seams to be my hurdle i cant get past.

I lay it as heavy as i can without running but it still drys with way to much orangepeel

I've been using Duplicolor Perfect Match clear over Auto Air water based paint, and it's worked very well. It gets really hard and polishes nicely. It works best for me if I do light coats. When I do wet coats it gets bubbles in it that pop and turn into pits. That may be just me, but that's my experience.

Also, check out this guy, he seems to have it down: 

10 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

I've been using Duplicolor Perfect Match clear over Auto Air water based paint, and it's worked very well. It gets really hard and polishes nicely. It works best for me if I do light coats. When I do wet coats it gets bubbles in it that pop and turn into pits. That may be just me, but that's my experience.

Also, check out this guy, he seems to have it down: 

Interesting that he uses washer fluid to reduce it, I wonder why....

1 hour ago, Kit Basher said:

My guess is because it's cheap, and apparently works for him.

6 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Interesting that he uses washer fluid to reduce it, I wonder why....

I've tried washer fluid, it's hit or miss depending on the acrylic paint you put it in. And there are more dependable solutions out there today.

Also when Chris made this video I doubt Stynlrez primer was a big player yet if even around. But had he used that under the craft paint he wouldn't have had the paint chipping from tape pulling it up ( if you watch the whole series on that build you will see where he had to fix it up off camera). Stynylrez way improves adhesion of acrylic paints, including craft paints. Yep, it sure does, I've run the tests for myself.  And it bonds better than Valljo's poly acrylic primer too.

11 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I have use it quite often and it works quite well for me.  I have cleared over it, not sure if I used Duplicolor or some other brand, I haven't painted in awhile.  Here is one I used it on,

Modified Coupe 042.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

I love that build ! Wow that takes me back to several I built back around 1964 or so from 36 and 40 Ford AMT kits. I used to put slot car tires on them and a smaller tire on the left front because the circle track we went to that's what they all did is have that smaller left front back then. Awesome job you did there !

Edited by Dave G.