Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Fury. Back on the Bench.

StevenGuthmiller

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Easter is behind us, I have a bit more time to spend at the bench.

Today, I spent a little time beginning to replace the firewall wiring.

I also worked a bit on the hood hinge/spring arrangement.

If all goes according to plan, I should be able to display the finished build with the hood opened, or closed.

Steve

2v2EswSfFxwUbWP.jpg

2v2Esw4syxwUbWP.jpg

2v2Esw4P5xwUbWP.jpg

Thanks guys!

4 hours ago, Rider said:

I dig the hood spring idea, it should work out. 

Now I'm just trying to work out an idea for the hinge so that I don't have to prop the hood when it's in the open position.

Some sort of track in the fender with a notch at the top and a pin in the hood hinge should work.

Just need to work out the simplest solution.

Steve

Finished up the firewall today.

It is ready for paint and detailing.

I provided a "before" shot of the "Color Me Gone" Dodge firewall, that I used to create this one, as an illustration of the modifications done.

Before

2v2EsisVgxwUbWP.jpg

After

2v2EsisnCxwUbWP.jpg

A decided that more modifications to the hood hinges was going to get too involved, so I decided that I will leave it alone and make a prop for displaying with the hood open.

The body colored parts should be about ready for primer and paint, but I have some time to get everything in order.

I decided to go ahead and order paint from Scale Finishes for other upcoming projects, so I thought that I just as well order the correct "Medium Turquoise" for this project while I was at it.

This will be my first time trying out Scale Finishes lacquers.

Can anybody tell me for sure if these paints are basically the same formula as MCW paints?

MCW uses Dupont for their base coat lacquers.

I just need to know if I will still be safe using Duplicolor lacquer clear coat.

Steve

Steve,

Scale Finishes uses Dupont paints. Depending on your selection you can get either Acrylic Enamel or Basecoat. I use the basecoat on every paint job I do, I gave up on the Enamels since they take so long to dry. The basecoats are true basecoat/clearcoat and are not traditional lacquer that can be polished. They need a clearcoat, I use Zero 2k clear. 

Edited by Mike Chernecki

1 hour ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Steve,

Scale Finishes uses Dupont paints. Depending on your selection you can get either Acrylic Enamel or Basecoat. I use the basecoat on every paint job I do, I gave up on the Enamels since they take so long to dry. The basecoats are true basecoat/clearcoat and are not traditional lacquer that can be polished. They need a clearcoat, I use Zero 2k clear. 

Sounds like exactly the same stuff as MCW, so I should be good to go.

I use the basecoat and Duplicolor clear.

Just needed to be sure that it was compatible.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sounds like exactly the same stuff as MCW, so I should be good to go.

I use the basecoat and Duplicolor clear.

Just needed to be sure that it was compatible.

Steve

Steve it's not the same as MCW, he's still using actual lacquer paints for most of his factory colors.   Modern base coats are designed to go under a 2 part Urethane Clear Coat and are thinned with a Enamel like reducer 1 to 1.  If Duplicolor is Lacquer based,  it may attack the base coat.   I'd try it on some plastic spoons or a scrap kit part before painting that nice '65 Fury of yours.  

-Steve

2 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Steve it's not the same as MCW, he's still using actual lacquer paints for most of his factory colors.   Modern base coats are designed to go under a 2 part Urethane Clear Coat and are thinned with a Enamel like reducer 1 to 1.  If Duplicolor is Lacquer based,  it may attack the base coat.   I'd try it on some plastic spoons or a scrap kit part before painting that nice '65 Fury of yours.  

-Steve

Thanks Steve.

I'll take that under advisement.

I sure hope it works.

I bought 7 bottles of paint from Scale Finishes, but I have no interest in starting a whole new paint regime.

It took me long enough to get this one right!

Steve

10 minutes ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

I just checked the Scale Finishes website Steve.

(From the questions and answers section)

Q: "What kind of clear can I use with your colors?"

A: "My colors are professional grade, solvent based automotive paints, and can be top coated with just about anything."

This gives me the confidence that the Duplicolor clear that I love will be compatible.

I'll still test, but I'm pretty confident that it will work.

Steve

Finally ready for paint!

Sorry to bore you all for the past month with all of the little, (and big) modifications, but I decided that this kit deserves a little elevation......and I just needed to see if I could do it.

Surprisingly, I actually had a lot of fun doing these mods!

From here on it will hopefully get a little more exciting. ;)

Steve

2v2EPcuryxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EPcuzjxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EPcJJrxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EPcJpjxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EPcJ65xwUbWP.jpg

On 4/27/2019 at 2:51 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I just need to know if I will still be safe using Duplicolor lacquer clear coat.

Steve, I gotta warn you before it's too late!

DO NOT USE DUPLI-COLOR CLEAR COAT ON TOP OF ANY OF YOUR PAINT JOBS - EVER!!!!!!

Not sure if the 8oz can is the same formula,  but I bought the bigger 12oz can and it's a disaster. It sprays fine, lays out very smooth and makes the color coat glow beautifully. 

BUT IT NEVER COMPLETELY DRIES!

On my projects, it stayed sticky for over a year. All the while collecting dust and dings that wouldn't come off.

I tried 4 different times, thinking that it was the outside temperature, the humidity, I didn't shake the can enough and finally letting the sunlight bake it on a warm day. All to no avail, I had to trash the can of paint and strip all of the bodies and start over, which wrecked some bodywork and wasted a lot of good paint and hard work. 

I recently got a simple can of Krylon Lacquer spray from Home Depot and the first car I painted with it came out perfect! I found my ideal clear coat.

PS, I use it on Dupli-Color automotive touch up paint and it's totally compatible. 

21 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Steve, I gotta warn you before it's too late!

DO NOT USE DUPLI-COLOR CLEAR COAT ON TOP OF ANY OF YOUR PAINT JOBS - EVER!!!!!!

Not sure if the 8oz can is the same formula,  but I bought the bigger 12oz can and it's a disaster. It sprays fine, lays out very smooth and makes the color coat glow beautifully. 

BUT IT NEVER COMPLETELY DRIES!

On my projects, it stayed sticky for over a year. All the while collecting dust and dings that wouldn't come off.

I tried 4 different times, thinking that it was the outside temperature, the humidity, I didn't shake the can enough and finally letting the sunlight bake it on a warm day. All to no avail, I had to trash the can of paint and strip all of the bodies and start over, which wrecked some bodywork and wasted a lot of good paint and hard work. 

I recently got a simple can of Krylon Lacquer spray from Home Depot and the first car I painted with it came out perfect! I found my ideal clear coat.

PS, I use it on Dupli-Color automotive touch up paint and it's totally compatible. 

I've been using Duplicolor "Perfect Match" protective clear coat for years over Duplicolor and MCW paints with very few issues.

I have had a couple of issues with the clear staying tacky for a long time, but never enough to ruin a paint job.

It seems that you may have gotten a bad can.

Whenever I have had a drying issue with the Duplicolor clear, I got another can and the problem went away.

Just a bad batch, which can happen with any product.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but this is what happened to me, recently:

DSC02459-vi.jpg

This is KRYLON ColorMaster Gloss Crystal Clear sprayed over KRYLON ColorMaster Gloss Khaki. Just as soon as the clear hit the tan, it started to wrinkle.

Needless to say, I didn't test anything beforehand, mainly because I would have thought the same brand would work!

I stick to Duplicolour as well, our local Canadian Tire carries a wide variety,....whenever I try something new in paint, ... it screws up.

Real nice work on the firewall Steve...taking notes on this ...

I love watching a good WIP.. Keep up the good work 

Cheers

5 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

I stick to Duplicolour as well, our local Canadian Tire carries a wide variety,....whenever I try something new in paint, ... it screws up.

Real nice work on the firewall Steve...taking notes on this ...

I love watching a good WIP.. Keep up the good work 

Cheers

Thanks Bruce.

I agree.

With the hundreds of paint disasters that seem to pop up on forums like this on a regular basis, I think if you have found a system that works for you, stick with it!

Hopping around between different brands and products seems to inevitably turn to disaster.

Trying out the Scale Finishes paint is as big of a step as I'm going to take.

To be honest, if it doesn't work well with the other products that I am currently using, I'll ditch it and go back to MCW.

I'm not going to start experimenting with entirely new painting systems now that I have one that works!

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks Bruce.

I agree.

With the hundreds of paint disasters that seem to pop up on forums like this on a regular basis, I think if you have found a system that works for you, stick with it!

Hopping around between different brands and products seems to inevitably turn to disaster.

Trying out the Scale Finishes paint is as big of a step as I'm going to take.

To be honest, if it doesn't work well with the other products that I am currently using, I'll ditch it and go back to MCW.

I'm not going to start experimenting with entirely new painting systems now that I have one that works!

Steve

And it works well indeed. I’m grateful you helped me out with my past painting problem, Steve. ?

11 hours ago, Brutalform said:

And it works well indeed. I’m grateful you helped me out with my past painting problem, Steve. ?

All that I can do Tom, is tell you what works for me.

As you know, there are as many different painting techniques as there are modelers. ^_^

Steve

While I wait for the paint to arrive, I got a start on getting the engine and chassis parts together.

I'll be using parts from various kits as well as some scratch made and after market parts.

I'll be using the 4 speed version of the 426 wedge provided by the Lindberg '64 Belvedere kit with the addition of the dual quad cross ram intake from the Color Me Gone Dodge.

I am swapping out the somewhat cheesy looking exhaust manifolds from the Plymouth kit for a better looking pair from the 413 in the AMT '49 Merc kit.

I have also decided to take the big leap and order a pair of AFB Carter carbs from Fireball Modelworks.

The chassis will be largely straight from the '64 Dodge box, but I will need to scratch build the exhaust system from plastic tubing or rod.

The lack of the "plug" detail in the intake manifold was bugging me, so I decided to quickly try my hand at adding them.

The should look alright once painted.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.d55bf6ff943fa7802a001aa7b3dd7718.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f6b789750bb6e17f7b28cf70b0596496.jpeg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller