Model Cars Magazine Forum

Debating selling my XJ Cherokee

I've been debating about getting rid of my XJ past few days, we don't have time to work on it with Mom being ill and it needing more and more work, seems like we get one thing fixed and something new pops up that keeps it undriveable, not to mentioned the nearly nonexistent driver side rocker and not much better passenger side. I'm seriously thinking about it, but having a hard time convincing Dad of this. He's having issues getting into my 200 and something like that is harder for him to climb into if he wants to use it.

Now that the 200 is paid for, I've thought about looking for a used, post 2011 300 with the 3.6l, 8 speed, and AWD as a replacement for the XJ that he can drive and is in better shape than his Town and Country as well.

Sell the XJ and get a Mini van for a folks carrier.

When getting old.. It's hard to drop down into a car and then climb out of.

My folks got a 2015 Grand Caravan . A more up-right position to get into and out of plus the auto opening side doors

are a real convenience.

Heck, Even I don't mind driving it. Pretty Peppy for a mini-van..

Personally, That's why I Love my Scion xD.

Easy to get in and out of it with minimal effort. Don't have to fall into it or climb out of it.

Bonus side is it's actually a blast to drive and 30mpg..

1 hour ago, RodneyBad said:

Sell the XJ and get a Mini van for a folks carrier.

When getting old.. It's hard to drop down into a car and then climb out of.

My folks got a 2015 Grand Caravan . A more up-right position to get into and out of plus the auto opening side doors

are a real convenience.

Heck, Even I don't mind driving it. Pretty Peppy for a mini-van..

Personally, That's why I Love my Scion xD.

Easy to get in and out of it with minimal effort. Don't have to fall into it or climb out of it.

Bonus side is it's actually a blast to drive and 30mpg..

My 200 has the same drivetrain as that van, and the 300 w/AWD would use that engine too, the 200 is a bit of a surprise when you get on it;)

I'd be keeping my 200, but I would prefer something with AWD for snow use, which Chryser hasn't offered in a Minivan since the early-mid 00's,  as well as a sedan profile and handling vs that of a minivan or SUV/CUV, but common enough to be fairly "dime a dozen" compared to my XJ, 200 (the 3.6l 200 and Avenger aren't that common as is the second gen 200 w/the 3.6l and AWD) or especially my Sister's Plum Crazy Challenger R/T Classic. I also want it to be a decent communal car for the family when I'm not using it, so that Dad can take it to the store, post office, get lunch for him and Mom, the hospital if Mom may end up spending time there again (really hoping not, had more than enough in 2015 and 2017!) Or even if my Sister and her husband may need something bigger than his Mazda 3 or her "baby capable" Challenger at a moments notice, since she just told us last week that she is expecting their first child (first grandchild both his and our parents too!)

If anybody is wondering, the Challenger is almost paid off, not sure about the 3 since it is a retired rental,  and they want to wait until those are paid off to look at something more family friendly yet be able to keep her car too. Neither one of them really wants a minivan, she has thought about a ?UV or even another V-6 Charger for the family cruiser  though.

Edited by Joe Handley

Keep the Jeep:PThey are great trucks as long as you keep up with the basic maintenance/oil change,change the diff fluid change,tune up,(earlier models),etc.I have a 2000 XJ with a 6 1/2 inch Rubicon lift.Running on 35s,snorkel,and complete heavy duty steering/front end.Now If you do have a lot of rust,then maybe it is time to let it go.The earlier models Are know for bad rust issues on the rockers,and floor boards.Ive owned my Cherokee for about 6 years now.The Paint and body are both in great shape.No rust anywhere on the truck.And it has been basically maintenance free,except that I just had to put in a new heater core,which cost me about a grand.The labor was the problem.The whole dash had to come.But other than then that,I've had no major issues with it.The XJ Jeep Cherokee has been rated one of the best vehicles on the road,for the money.Good luck on your choice.

Joe what year is your XJ?Is it lifted or custom in anyway?Thats another great thing about Jeep's,there are so many aftermarket companies to fix up your Jeep.

IMG_7906.JPG

Edited by NYLIBUD

I'd love to keep the XJ and there are plenty of issue parts that are still available and affordable, but it's the time to fix even moreso at the money that can be at a premium. If I suddenly hit the lotto big, I would find someplace to start tearing it apart to fix and restify it as I have time and find something to drive in the winter in it's place anyway.  I'm trying to avoid any ?UVs since those won't fix the altitude issues, even being AWD,  plus don''t handle as well as a car would, not sure if they'd handle as well as a well maintained XJ would to be honest. Not interested in Subarus either, especially since they have a bit of a reputation as an oilburner, even though they're gas fueled. The 3.6l and LX platforms are know quantities for me as well, my 3.6l powered 200 rolled 91k in the last hour and it has been dead reliable and if it's an '11-'17, it should be flex fuel as well, which is a plus as well.

46 minutes ago, NYLIBUD said:

Joe,Just get a good XJ from 97-01.These were the best years.No mini van??

There aren't really any "Good"  XJs left around here either though, they all have been either chopped up into trail trucks (not sure where the trails are, they're probably mall crawlers) or have the rust issues as mine does.....and that doesn't fix the altitude issue without lowering one. I had a Journey in December when a new heater core and HVAC control box were being installed in the 200 and liked it, but that would also need to be lowered for the step in height issues, never mind the leg bending ones that he and I both have. The little Chevy Bolt would really work well there, if it were cheaper and AWD but trust me, FWD and 260lbs/ft and 3600lbs curb weight in snow is not fun...adding right now torque would make it worse!

Once the rocker panels (or even one) are (is) gone, you lose a lot of structural integrity. BTDT with previous lifelong WI vehicles which had too much rust to be worth the time and effort to fix. Unless it's rare, or something you just can't live without, move on. It stinks at first, but you get over it.

A good set of winter tires will make any FWD vehicle handle IL winters without much of any trouble, but winter tires and AWD are even better IMHO. You should have your choice of multiple good used AWD vehicles in the Chicago area to chose from.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Once the rocker panels (or even one) are (is) gone, you lose a lot of structural integrity. BTDT with previous lifelong WI vehicles which had too much rust to be worth the time and effort to fix. Unless it's rare, or something you just can't live without, move on. It stinks at first, but you get over it.

A good set of winter tires will make any FWD vehicle handle IL winters without much of any trouble, but winter tires and AWD are even better IMHO. You should have your choice of multiple good used AWD vehicles in the Chicago area to chose from.

Luckily, the rockers can be replaced (about $400 new for all the stampings), and these things are starting to see an uptick in resale value now, with beat down trucks now selling for more than nice, clean, "low mile" ZJ and WJ Grand Cherokees are in some areas.  I also fear that it might become one of those  "I'm going to fix it one day" situations where it sits and decays for the rest of my natural life instead of being put back on the road it it needs to be.......and to some extent, feels like it wants to be......as weird as that sounds. With all that said, it just makes sense to me to move onto someone else at this point.

Edited by Joe Handley

4 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Joe go ahead and sell it while you think you want to.  If you talk yourself into keeping it you will kick yourself later. Unless you have free storage because they longer it sits the more will go wrong with it.

There are more then one nice SUV'S you could replace it with. 

I figure with these things going up un value, it's worth trying to find it a new owner that might actually fix and drive it. It's sitting in the back yard for free, but the city has bugged us on it before when I had forgot to put the current sticker on it and the old tires had trouble holding air (they had been on it 7 or 8 years at that point), so that would be one less concern too.

You had mentioned earlier that you were considering a Chrysler 300 AWD with the 3.6 engine. I just traded my special ordered '10 Charger RT with the 5.7 and AWD. I traded for a new left over '18 Charger GT 3.6 with AWD. We don't see the extreme snows that you experience in your area, but every now and then it gets a little dicey with ice and snow combined. I would recommend considering the Charger as an alternative to the 300 depending on what is available in your area. Even with the 5.7 I averaged 20 mpg combined even with my lead foot. Their AWD system was developed when Mercedes had control of Chrysler and is patterned off of their system. I have nothing but high praise for the way it works moving between rear drive and AWD in a way you would never notice. I'm disappointed in the new car in one respect, and remember the lead foot thing. The 3.6 engine even with the new 8 speed transmission doesn't come close to the old 5.7 and 5 speed when your in a hurry. The new one does get about 3 more mpg so that helps. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

You had mentioned earlier that you were considering a Chrysler 300 AWD with the 3.6 engine. I just traded my special ordered '10 Charger RT with the 5.7 and AWD. I traded for a new left over '18 Charger GT 3.6 with AWD. We don't see the extreme snows that you experience in your area, but every now and then it gets a little dicey with ice and snow combined. I would recommend considering the Charger as an alternative to the 300 depending on what is available in your area. Even with the 5.7 I averaged 20 mpg combined even with my lead foot. Their AWD system was developed when Mercedes had control of Chrysler and is patterned off of their system. I have nothing but high praise for the way it works moving between rear drive and AWD in a way you would never notice. I'm disappointed in the new car in one respect, and remember the lead foot thing. The 3.6 engine even with the new 8 speed transmission doesn't come close to the old 5.7 and 5 speed when your in a hurry. The new one does get about 3 more mpg so that helps. 

I thought about the Charger, but it still looks a little too hot rod-ish for a sedate big cruiser like I've been thinking of and may attract the kind of attention I don't want while cruising around, like guys wanting to race and police wanting to write tickets.My Sister was pulled over a few times in her '06 3.5l Charger before she traded it in for her Challenger and we knew a woman with a similar year R/T (looked like the one used for the Testors' box art, come to think of it) and when she got stopped, cop asked her "Does your husband know you're driving his car?", knowing her, I would not want to have been that cop, he deseved anything she may have said to him for that comment! My 200 with that engine is several hundred pounds lighter and would me more of the fun car of the pair.

Oh, I didn't think to ask above, does your Charger have the yellow or black gas cap?

Edited by Joe Handley

2 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I thought about the Charger, but it still looks a little too hot rod-ish for a sedate big cruiser like I've been thinking of and may attract the kind of attention I don't want while cruising around, like guys wanting to race and police wanting to write tickets.My Sister was pulled over a few times in her '06 3.5l Charger before she traded it in for her Challenger and we knew a woman with a similar year R/T (looked like the one used for the Testors' box art, come to think of it) and when she got stopped, cop asked her "Does your husband know you're driving his car?", knowing her, I would not want to have been that cop, he deseved anything she may have said to him for that comment! My 200 with that engine is several hundred pounds lighter and would me more of the fun car of the pair.

Oh, I didn't think to ask above, does your Charger have the yellow or black gas cap?

I understand what you mean about the Chargers looks, it does look like it has an attitude or something. The KHP uses Chargers and I haven't been stopped yet. The '10 was a dark grey color almost the same as the KHP was using at the time. The '18 is white, and guess what color the KHP and a lot of local PD's are using. I didn't do this by design it's just the way it worked out. When we first got the grey car it was amazing how the lane on the freeway would open up for me. The white car seems to only fool the PD and KHP since some of them give me a two finger wave when the see me. The civilians hesitate just long enough to see the rear spoiler, which I had painted to match, and then just buzz on by.  Your 200 is somewhat a kin to my wife's '14 Avenger RT. That car is very quick with the 3.6 and a 6 speed. She does well with the front wheel drive in the light snow that we see. ,

The '06 my Sister was silver and looked like it could have been "Retired", but she seemed to get targeted and pulled over more than somebody who works in a library kids department should. The cops that have seemed to be surprised to find her driving vs a younger male.

I have seen where Avenger owners have been confused for cops too. Don't have either with the 200B)

That might be a great idea. The NE residency raises the question of rust, but the pictures sure look good. It doesn't look like it has been off road at all. If it runs and drives as good as it looks someone should grab it. 

I've looked and looked for one and if you are fortunate enough to find a solid one the price they want is astronomical!

Most I have went and looked at the rust worms have done a number on what little frame they had.

I had a pickup about 7 years ago and the rust was so bad I parted it out and junked the rest of it even though several people really wanted to buy it. It just wasn't safe to be on the road!(or off for that matter)

My rule of thumb has been, If you are having second thoughts on keeping it then it is time to let it go.

When my daughter was a baby I had a '73 Barracuda whose interior is spooky close to the Challenger I rented a few years ago.  So I know what it's like to climb back into the rear of that balancing a baby!  Not fun!  

Same daughter is now an adult and the mother of my 16 month old grand daughter.  She is now pregnant with twins, so they ran out and bought a one year old Dodge Grand Caravan.  There will be three car seats in that one mid summer!

I'm at the same point you are, with my 1996 Grand Caravan.  I am the original owner and it's served us well. It's up over 203,000 miles right now and as you said, it's one thing after the other. The last round my garage buddy tried to council me that it wasn't worth putting all new brake lines on it.  Then I pulled out the big folder of receipts to realize everything that's been replaced in the past few years. So for $1000 parts and labor I fixed it.  It's been home a week and the battery refuses to take a charge. I'll be buying a new one tomorrow.

I don't have any rust through on it, and it is a very nice Grand Caravan with a Mark III  high top.  I do like to have it around as a utility vehicle and it sees very low usage.  It is the NNL East swag van that carries everything to the show each year.  It will be there once again but this may be the last year.  Once I get a few things under control, I may keep an eye out for a low mile replacement.

5 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

I've looked and looked for one and if you are fortunate enough to find a solid one the price they want is astronomical!

Most I have went and looked at the rust worms have done a number on what little frame they had.

I had a pickup about 7 years ago and the rust was so bad I parted it out and junked the rest of it even though several people really wanted to buy it. It just wasn't safe to be on the road!(or off for that matter)

My rule of thumb has been, If you are having second thoughts on keeping it then it is time to let it go.

I know, I've looked out of curiosity in a 100mi radius of West Chicago (60185) and there was one that was at an auction house for $1300 that I'm not sure if it was as solid as mine is and what appeared to be a clean, lifted '01 Sport that has a price of nearly $13k.......I didn't pay much more for mine in '03!

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

When my daughter was a baby I had a '73 Barracuda whose interior is spooky close to the Challenger I rented a few years ago.  So I know what it's like to climb back into the rear of that balancing a baby!  Not fun!  

Same daughter is now an adult and the mother of my 16 month old grand daughter.  She is now pregnant with twins, so they ran out and bought a one year old Dodge Grand Caravan.  There will be three car seats in that one mid summer!

I'm at the same point you are, with my 1996 Grand Caravan.  I am the original owner and it's served us well. It's up over 203,000 miles right now and as you said, it's one thing after the other. The last round my garage buddy tried to council me that it wasn't worth putting all new brake lines on it.  Then I pulled out the big folder of receipts to realize everything that's been replaced in the past few years. So for $1000 parts and labor I fixed it.  It's been home a week and the battery refuses to take a charge. I'll be buying a new one tomorrow.

I don't have any rust through on it, and it is a very nice Grand Caravan with a Mark III  high top.  I do like to have it around as a utility vehicle and it sees very low usage.  It is the NNL East swag van that carries everything to the show each year.  It will be there once again but this may be the last year.  Once I get a few things under control, I may keep an eye out for a low mile replacement.

We put over $1000  into it last year with the only paid labor being for the guy who put the new tires on it.....and he earned that money!  Brake parts are looking to be over $150 IN parts for the master cylinder and maybe booster, probably need to do pads, rotors, and calipers up front too, that could be at least $500 combined, if not more, not including the $101 to register it for 2019 and nearly $300 for the 6 months of insurance as of mid summer. If we had to pay labor on top of it, it could be enough to match the cost of some of these ones that are for sale and in not much better shape than mine is.

As far as my Sister, She has used it to transport her friends' son when he was a toddler, just couldn't put anybody normal sized in the passenger seat, so we know it can be done, plus her Husband has a Mazda 3 sedan that may be the primary babymobile until those two are paid off and she can get something roomier to "Baby" with.