Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I heard the Canadian cars had toque boxes...

Its very possible an AAR Cuda might , just MIGHT have torque boxes regardless of the ultimate sales destination  ,,,but NOT likely.

Dana rear axle is definitely not

AAR only had 2 choices for rear  a 3.55 or 3.91 ratio. Both are the 8-3/4 axle

Edited by gtx6970

8 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Yep.

Dana rear axle is 440 and Hemi car only.  

On 4-speed manual cars, automatics often came with 8 3/4 inch.

7 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Anyone have reference photos?  Not sure I’d know the difference in axles.  

Dana 60 rear end, a heavy beast originally intended for trucks.

e12b86f068_4488728.thumb.jpg.2a58071fe8012c4ef45160cf87b61a7a.jpg

6Q_640c.jpg.8244611e93e7be275fde73ed6fc7b3d0.jpg

8-3/4 inch rear end, these pictures are taken of AAR 'Cudas...am I wrong or do I see torque boxes in front of the leaf spring mounts.

7141_13.jpg.9403ba04eb0a43d187752cca7dd69640.jpg

Hg_640.jpg.f7879f605e2c2a93626534ca9dfea147.jpg

Edited by Force

Well,

I'm not 100% sure on the torque boxes.

So did some asking ,,,will report back

EDIT.

turns out the AAR Cuda and Challenger T/A did in fact have the hemi torque boxes .

I stand corrected

Edited by gtx6970

I just watched Chris' ( hpi guy) review and build-up of the AAR , and am disappointed to see a Dana 60 instead of the correct 8 3/4 .

C'mon , guys ! Newly-tooled 340 engine , AAR hood , etc. , etc. , then drop the ball with the incorrect differential !

Yes , the new AAR-specific parts look great (decals and all) , but... 

The main thing for me is that the model have the correct look and that the main AAR specific parts are right, a part like a rear end is an easy fix as a 8-3/4 rear is not that hard to find, look no further than the Revell 67 Plymouth GTX.
It's unfortunate that they missed that but it looks to be a nice kit overall.

Edited by Force

9 hours ago, Force said:

The main thing for me is that the model have the correct look and that the main AAR specific parts are right, a part like a rear end is an easy fix as a 8-3/4 rear is not that hard to find, look no further than the Revell 67 Plymouth GTX.
It's unfortunate that they missed that but it looks to be a nice kit overall.

I agree regarding the easy-to-find-correct-differential ; however , paying as much as these kits cost makes that *oversight* tough to swallow . Besides , I was looking forward to the correct diff being included ; would've made a 440 Super Commando / Torqueflite / Air Conditioning-equipped (from the AMT 1971 Charger ) conversion easier ---- the Dana 60 couldn't be had in conjunction with air conditioning (even the 3.54 geared version) .

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I agree regarding the easy-to-find-correct-differential ; however , paying as much as these kits cost makes that *oversight* tough to swallow . Besides , I was looking forward to the correct diff being included ; would've made a 440 Super Commando / Torqueflite / Air Conditioning-equipped (from the AMT 1971 Charger ) conversion easier ---- the Dana 60 couldn't be had in conjunction with air conditioning (even the 3.54 geared version) .

Agreed

With the  cost of kits today.

Having to buy another kit , or at the very least  maybe  go aftermkt for a correct diff ( if its avail )  . makes it tough to swallow.

its not like these kits are $5.99 anymore

Might be an opportunity for some enterprising aftermkt supplier to cast up a rear axle to fit a multitude of Mopar applications . and sell  them in maybe a 5 pack or something along those lines

33 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Agreed

With the  cost of kits today.

Having to buy another kit , or at the very least  maybe  go aftermkt for a correct diff ( if its avail )  . makes it tough to swallow.

its not like these kits are $5.99 anymore

Might be an opportunity for some enterprising aftermkt supplier to cast up a rear axle to fit a multitude of Mopar applications . and sell  them in maybe a 5 pack or something along those lines

I agree with you Bill !

Use the H/L Coupon . Buy the second parts kit. If you are a MOPAR builder, it is not like you'll not just swap the Diffs and build them both. And, at todays prices, $19.47 (the price with the H/L coupon in California) IS about equivalent to $5.99 back in the day. I'm as broke as the next guy, and watch my nickels & dimes, but I can still budget for a pair of new kits every month, when I want to.

So, let's have no more of this" 29.99 is too much" foolishness. Heck, 15 gallons of gas just cost me $52.00 this morning, and we Californians get another 6 cents per gallon added on, next Monday, July First. Prices are up everywhere.

I think the Dana vs. 8 3/4 axle is a relatively minor issue.  Besides, now we have a source for Dana axles to swap into the Revell Monogram 1967 Charger/Coronet R-T/GTX kits that had the incorrect 8 3/4 rears, and use those kit axles as a swap back into the AAR kits.   What are we talking....maybe ten minutes with a razor saw and some glue to effect the swap?  

I'm more interested to know if there are any tweaks to the body casting to improve some of the issues cited when the Hemi 'cuda version debuted in late 2013?  Last I had heard (pre Hobbico BK) they had determined that the potential fixes were not containable....

TIM 

38 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

I think the Dana vs. 8 3/4 axle is a relatively minor issue.  Besides, now we have a source for Dana axles to swap into the Revell Monogram 1967 Charger/Coronet R-T/GTX kits that had the incorrect 8 3/4 rears, and use those kit axles as a swap back into the AAR kits.   What are we talking....maybe ten minutes with a razor saw and some glue to effect the swap?  

I'm more interested to know if there are any tweaks to the body casting to improve some of the issues cited when the Hemi 'cuda version debuted in late 2013?  Last I had heard (pre Hobbico BK) they had determined that the potential fixes were not containable....

TIM 

Those otherwise nicely executed 1967 B-bodies from Revell have that incorrect-after-1965 Hemi-4-speed-8 3/4 combo that's always bothered me . Quite a few years ago ( probably around 25 years ago ) I wrote to Revell and asked if they were going to correct that problem or offer a TorqueFlite option...

... quarter-century later , no luck . And , mind you that this was during the time when there were numerous production problems with the then-new Sox & Martin "GTX" (truly , an RO23J7 with 'GTX' emblems) . Certainly , new bodies were sent out --- and those were equally as tweaked as the in-the-box originals ! 

But , I digress...

$30.00 for a kit in today's money is a far cry from the $6.00 kits from ~20 years ago ---- especially since the kits are made in China !